1989 playoffs

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
No playoffs again so taking it back again...

You think the Wings are bad recently? After a disappointing season of turmoil the 1989 playoffs were the start of the freefall of the Demers era Red Wings.

red wings grades 1989.png

Reactions: GrafSk8r12

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Does anyone know why Bob Probert got left out of this article?

I believe 89 was when he was in prison for cocaine possession and that also carried with it a league suspension in the event he was out of prison by that point.

EDIT: Indeed it was.

Probert Arrested On Drug Charge

I had forgot how little he had played in general before that, I was still pretty little back then, I did remember it being somewhat late in the year in terms of the big drug scrape at the border. I was crushed when my dad told me he got in trouble again. That he couldn't play and I think he said frankly I am not sure he is ever going to play again which was the feeling at the time. I believe that one is the famous line where Yzerman says the not again speech when talking on it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
That was the playoffs that led management to decide they needed to "shake things up." they traded Adam Oates in the offseason and then Adam Graves the next year, making two of the worst trades in Red Wings history.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
I know this is from the year prior, but it was my first playoff hockey memory. Staying up late as an 8 year old was a big deal, only when there were west coast starts was I able.

I still think Chiasson should have hit him harder.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I know this is from the year prior, but it was my first playoff hockey memory. Staying up late as an 8 year old was a big deal, only when there were west coast starts was I able.

I still think Chiasson should have hit him harder.

Wing’s backup goalie, Hanlon, looks like he could be Mike Vernon’s brother.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Oates trade might be the worst trade in NHL history. (For Detroit of course)

Oates would have been traded or released anyhow after sneaking Sergei into the United States. However it's still one of the worst for Detroit.

I'll give a pass on Graves as he didn't really blossom until New York. Meanwhile the man who we acquired(Carson) was later shipped out for Paul Coffey. Who became a key piece for several seasons.

The '89 Wings were never good to begin with. They just happened to play in the NHL's worst division. Same really can be said for Detroit's playoff stints those two years prior. Fun because it had been so long and showed possibly things to come. But that division was trash with the Wings the best of a bad bunch.

You bring back the same poor goaltending and defense coupled with multiple player off-ice issues. Complete with no Probert that season whatsoever and possibly forever. Doomed from the start only to crash even further the next season.

There is however one significant brightside to that '89 season. A couple of months later was the '89 Draft which set up the Wings for years to come. 1990 only wielded two worthwhile picks but both ended up crucial as a complimentary winger(Kozlov) and eventual trade bait(Primeau).

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Oates would have been traded or released anyhow after sneaking Sergei into the United States. However it's still one of the worst for Detroit.

I'll give a pass on Graves as he didn't really blossom until New York. Meanwhile the man who we acquired(Carson) was later shipped out for Paul Coffey. Who became a key piece for several seasons.

The '89 Wings were never good to begin with. They just happened to play in the NHL's worst division. Same really can be said for Detroit's playoff stints those two years prior. Fun because it had been so long and showed possibly things to come. But that division was trash with the Wings the best of a bad bunch.

You bring back the same poor goaltending and defense coupled with multiple player off-ice issues. Complete with no Probert that season whatsoever and possibly forever. Doomed from the start only to crash even further the next season.

There is however one significant brightside to that '89 season. A couple of months later was the '89 Draft which set up the Wings for years to come. 1990 only wielded two worthwhile picks but both ended up crucial as a complimentary winger(Kozlov) and eventual trade bait(Primeau).

I am still amazed that we got Lidstrom, Fedorov, and Konstantinov all in that same draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->