1983-84 Penguins: Did they deliberately lose games to get Mario?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwOOsh*

lol but he got called on it, he said that no ECHL goalie played for the Pens and one in fact did, no matter how little he did play in the ECHL he still did.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think it's even possible to compare Chiodo to Yeats. Chiodo was the next in line to get a callup, and he got one. Yeats was, as mentioned, 5 deep in the Washington system. Chiodo was the legit AHL starter at that point in the season when he got called up, regardless of where he's at this season.

Perhaps more telling than the amount of playing time Yeats got, are the call-ups of Verot, Angelstad, and Stroshein. Speaking of Chiodo being in the ECHL, so is Stroshein. And Angelstad, who played the full 2 minutes of a powerplay with the Capitals, wishes he was in the ECHL right now.

as I have said...and proven...the Capitals finished pretty much where they were all season long
Which basically means that the team didn't even tank properly.

haha Game. Set. Match.
Coined it.

SwOOsh*

Jacobv2 said:
I don't think it's even possible to compare Chiodo to Yeats. Chiodo was the next in line to get a callup, and he got one. Yeats was, as mentioned, 5 deep in the Washington system. Chiodo was the legit AHL starter at that point in the season when he got called up, regardless of where he's at this season.

Perhaps more telling than the amount of playing time Yeats got, are the call-ups of Verot, Angelstad, and Stroshein. Speaking of Chiodo being in the ECHL, so is Stroshein. And Angelstad, who played the full 2 minutes of a powerplay with the Capitals, wishes he was in the ECHL right now.

Again who was comparing the two goalies? The guy said no Pens goalie was an "echl goalie" and in fact there was and got called on it, end of story.

Jacobv2 said:
Coined it.

Still ended up with Ovechkin

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I really don't have a problem with a team benching some of their better players to give younger guys a go for a bunch of games should the playoffs be impossible to reach. Some teams want to play spoiler, and I'd always prefer that of the teams I follow, but it is alright if they want to give experience to some future players. As long as the guys on the ice give it their all, I really can't find cause to make a big fuss.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
SwOOsh said:
lol but he got called on it, he said that no ECHL goalie played for the Pens and one in fact did, no matter how little he did play in the ECHL he still did.

How exactly did I get called?

He has been assigned to the ECHL twice for a total of 4 games played, this year was a conditioning stint. The assertion he is an ECHL goaltender is wrong.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
I have far too much going on in my life to get "hurt" over what some guy says to me on a message board, sorry to burst your bubble, but this just does not have that kind of impact on me.

Is that why you used the exact line I used on you weeks ago.....clearly its been on your mind

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

Im not sure who is comparing the two...the point that you guys are missing or ignoring is...he was in the ECHL twice that last 2 seasons....a poster made a big point about how Pit didnt do that, and they did....if you want to argue semantics over whether he is an ECHL goalie or he just happened to be down there for whatever reason thats fine...if you look back the first time I mentioned it all I said was that he called the ECHL home for a few games.....but somehow you guys want to argue that im saying Yeats is better

Jacobv2 said:

You want more...how about sending Semin and Morrisonn to the AHL. those are better examples than any of the others IMO....

Jacobv2 said:

Thats just stupid...it could also mean they didnt try to tank.....and again...the Capitals finished where they had been all season

There is no doubt that as the season ended the focus was on young players and the future. This was smart IMO.....they put what they hope to be the future core together in the AHL to fight for a playoff spot.....the made the playoffs and then even advanced. Does this mean they tanked....if you wanna say it thats yoour right. I still cant get an answer on what you guys think they should have done

I also think that its the height hypocrisy that Pen fans are saying this....either you werent alive or a fan in the 80's

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
The only question I see that you asked of me was:

Yeats is not even on your depth chart- he's like what, the Caps 5th 6th string prospet goaltender? Isn't he like the last possible guy you would ever give minutes to? because that's the way it seems.

Playing Yeats does not equal playing Chiodo.

he might be lower than that....but under the circumstances they could have played Kolzig every game.....played Charpentier who was terrible and coming off season long injury/career ending situation

Max/Stana where in the AHL....and for good reason...same reason although different situation as MAF

If Charpentier had been decent at all I willing to bet Yeats would never have been signed (and I dont know what his exact health was after the hip condition at that time...maybe the games he played late in the season caused more problems with his degenerative hip condition) but he was awful when he was in......and Yeats didnt play badly at all (although at first he looked shaky)

you still didnt answer.....what should they have done in goal?

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Mothra said:
you still didnt answer.....what should they have done in goal?

Why do you keep asking me this? Clearly I don't care what they should have done. Go ahead and answer it yourself.

They played an ECHL goaltender who was 5 or 6 back on their depth chart. you characterized Chiodo as an "ECHL" goalie, you were wrong, I made my point.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Mothra said:
Is that why you used the exact line I used on you weeks ago.....clearly its been on your mind

You take this way too seriously.

I never once thought of it, until I saw your username again and I was reminded that you are the most ignorant poster I have encountered here.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Lionel Hutz said:
Why do you keep asking me this? Clearly I don't care what they should have done. Go ahead and answer it yourself.

Clearly you do care....you go to great lengths to slam them for moves they made then when I ask you what were the alternatives you say you "dont care"

I bet you took your football home many times as a child

Lionel Hutz said:
They played an ECHL goaltender who was 5 or 6 back on their depth chart. you characterized Chiodo as an "ECHL" goalie, you were wrong, I made my point.

Ha!...now look who is arguing semantics.....all the while completely ignoring injuries

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Mothra said:
Clearly you do care....you go to great lengths to slam them for moves they made then when I ask you what were the alternatives you say you "dont care"

You have a serious problem with putting words into people's mouths. I simply said It was a suspect personell move. I did not go to great lengths to slam anything, if you go back and read the posts for substance insted of looking for a phrase to pick out and jump on, you might see that.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...

The Pens were awful that season, but I believe they didn't try very hard to win their last 10 games or so, in order to get Mario. I wouldn't say they purposely lost games, they just weren't too upset when they didn't win. ;)

And now they suck again. Hum......

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think teams are asked to lose games. It would be quite demoralizing for those members of the team that you wish to have around for the next season.

But of course teams looking like they will end up at the bottom will trade players, rest their first goalie an extra game, give prospects a shot etc. All of this can either be interpreted as preparing for the future or tanking. Often those teams accused of tanking are really so poor that they couldn't finish all that much higher even if everyone is having good seasons.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
jiggs 10 said:
Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...

The Pens were awful that season, but I believe they didn't try very hard to win their last 10 games or so, in order to get Mario. I wouldn't say they purposely lost games, they just weren't too upset when they didn't win. ;)

And now they suck again. Hum......

Two Words: SIDNEY CROSBY :bow:

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pens and Caps fans already had this battle out last season, regarding the goaltenders. Yeats is an ECHL Goalie. Calling Chiodo an ECHL Goalie, when he only played in Wheeling on the weekends, and did not amass more than 10 games there, is a bit odd. He carried the load for the baby pens last season, and throughout the playoffs to the calder cup finals. Each team made questionable calls last year. THe pens calling up Hussey after a lack-luster year in WBS, Yeats with the caps, etc. This year, Chiodo has severed sometime in the ECHL again, this time because Wheelings goalie posted some great numbers, and desered a callup. The Pens flat out stunk till March, and then with the arrival of Priejta and Jackman, started to play well. I don't see how saying going 12-5-? is tanking. Swoosh and Mothra have their points, however Chiodo severed the pens well, and deserved a callup. The pens did not tank this past season, nor did they in 83-84. I do not believe the caps did either, because as Mothra pointed out, Kolzig carried the load for the majority of the year, and they had been flirting within the bottom 5 for most of the season.

nucks2win

Jul 20, 2003
Edmonton
Teams don't lose games on purpose, but they do make trades, lineup adjustments, etc which don't help. Pittsburgh did this, Quebec did it with Lindros and Ottawa did this with Daigle. In these cases though, they were truly bad teams - the smart thing to do was to lose and rebuild around a young stud - Pittsburgh drafted Lemieux, won 2 cups. Quebec turned Lindros and their other top picks into 2 cups (albeit in Colorado) and Ottawa has been a strong team because of their strong drafting, although Daigle didn't exactly turn out as planned. The coaches of these teams never seem to last to enjoy the success, an many of the players don't either. that, along with professional pride, keeps the actual games honest, IMO.

And BTW, the Penguins were also tied for last spot in 82-83, but had traded away their 1st round pick (1st overall - Lawton). It wasn't like they only tanked the one season, they were a bad team coming in.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
nucks2win said:
Teams don't lose games on purpose, but they do make trades, lineup adjustments, etc which don't help. Pittsburgh did this, Quebec did it with Lindros and Ottawa did this with Daigle. In these cases though, they were truly bad teams - the smart thing to do was to lose and rebuild around a young stud - Pittsburgh drafted Lemieux, won 2 cups. Quebec turned Lindros and their other top picks into 2 cups (albeit in Colorado) and Ottawa has been a strong team because of their strong drafting, although Daigle didn't exactly turn out as planned. The coaches of these teams never seem to last to enjoy the success, an many of the players don't either. that, along with professional pride, keeps the actual games honest, IMO.

And BTW, the Penguins were also tied for last spot in 82-83, but had traded away their 1st round pick (1st overall - Lawton). It wasn't like they only tanked the one season, they were a bad team coming in.

Although nobody will admit to DELIBERATELY losing games, the Pens of 83-84 were told "not to be upset if they lost" (hint, hint, nudge, nudge).

The Big Confession: Pens of 83-84

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
Okay, this is actually quite funny and sad at the same time that this is what hockey fans are reduced to fighting about the definition of an ECHL goalie.

Just looking at Hockeydb, it says that:
Chiodo played 44 games in the AHL and 2 in the ECHL
Yeats played 48 games in the ECHL and 2 in the AHL

My personal opinion is that Chiodo is an AHL goalie that played a couple of games in the ECHL while Yeats is and ECHL goalie that played a couple of games in the AHL. I'd say there is a pretty big difference.

Yeats=ECHLer
Chiodo=AHLer

I have solved you're dispute. You're welcome

gocaps8

Jun 19, 2002
Visit site
From Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about 1984

Twenty years ago, Angotti did it right as Penguins coach. He got those boys of 1983-84 to go down in inextinguishable flames, losing their final six games (by a gaudy 36-15), losing 12 of their final 14. He put the club in prime position to nab The Original Mario Lemieux.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04088/292486.stm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad