1980's—Was talent really at its weakest?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
But there aren't 20 great goalies at any one point! Every era has between 3 and 5. Between 1950s and 1990s, all great goalies won the Cup at least once. Even those who didn't play on the dynasties. In the 2010s -- none.

You gave a partial answer. Like skater positions,goalies cluster to certain teams. Bower / Sawchuk, Giacomin / Villemure, Fuhr / Moog, etc. Giacomin a win did not an SC.

Split workloads creates split credits.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
For goalies, we can't say they are any less talented today. Their mechanics are so far advanced that we rarely see them have to see them be spectacular. It doesn't mean they can't be spectacular.

Also, they make their movements seem effortless, but it's not as easy as it looks. It's a skill in itself to be economical.

Mechanics- Go butterfly, don't move too much and let the puck hit your equipment.

I absolutely can and will say 100% that goaltending required more talent before the mid 90's.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Absolutely not.

Wayne, Mario, Kurri, Coffey, Bourque, Hawerchuk, Potvin, Bossy, Yzerman, MacInnis, Francis, Dionne, Savard, Housley, Roy, etc. Some of the all-time greats dominated the 80's, including the two greatest offensive forwards of all-time.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nope. You had some great talents in the 80's especially the best ever in Gretzky. The 80's were no different than any other decade in terms of talent.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I agree. You left off some guys like Hawerchuk and Mike Gartner, but you put those guys in the 80's and let them play in today's game with the open ice, zone type play you see today, it would be a treat to see.
Mike Gartner is a perennial 20 goal scorer, hardly going to tear anything up in any period. They backcheck harder in today's game, btw.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
Uhhh.... dude, Mike Gartner's career average goals-per-season was 37 (median was 38 and mode was 35). He still scored 32 goals in '96-'97, at the beginning of the "dead-puck era", at age 37. In 19 NHL seasons he had two with less than 20 goals: the lockout-shortened '94-'95 season, and his last in '97-'98 (12 G in each). Ignoring those two seasons the next lowest he ever had was that 32-goal season in '96-'97. He wasn't a "perennial 20 goal scorer", he was a perennial 35-40 goal scorer.

Even adjusted for the era he played in Mike Gartner was one of the most consistent goal-scorers of all time. You'd have to be daft to think otherwise.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The clubs of the 80s had far more talent than the pro teams of the 70s. During the mid 70s, in particular, there were 32 pro hockey clubs in North America for a couple of seasons (NHL/WHA). When you consider that only a select few Scandinavians, and virtually nobody from Communist countries played hockey in North America, it is even more pronounced.

By 1979-80, the amount of teams dropped to 21, and during the 80's, more and more Europeans came over to North America to play, and there was an American hockey boom after the 1980 Olympics. The percentage of Canadians dropped from 91% in the mid 70s, to 84% during the 79-80 season, and finally down to 74% in 1989-90. The talent pool was getting stronger and stronger, as the decade wore on, as more and more Americans, Scandinavians, and Czechs were available. Even Russians started to defect to the NHL in 1988.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Absolutely not.

Wayne, Mario, Kurri, Coffey, Bourque, Hawerchuk, Potvin, Bossy, Yzerman, MacInnis, Francis, Dionne, Savard, Housley, Roy, etc. Some of the all-time greats dominated the 80's, including the two greatest offensive forwards of all-time.

Nobody played D. Hell, goalies were so bad they shouldn't have even suited up.

Reactions: Leksand

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
The clubs of the 80s had far more talent than the pro teams of the 70s. During the mid 70s, in particular, there were 32 pro hockey clubs in North America for a couple of seasons (NHL/WHA). When you consider that only a select few Scandinavians, and virtually nobody from Communist countries played hockey in North America, it is even more pronounced.

By 1979-80, the amount of teams dropped to 21, and during the 80's, more and more Europeans came over to North America to play, and there was an American hockey boom after the 1980 Olympics. The percentage of Canadians dropped from 91% in the mid 70s, to 84% during the 79-80 season, and finally down to 74% in 1989-90. The talent pool was getting stronger and stronger, as the decade wore on, as more and more Americans, Scandinavians, and Czechs were available. Even Russians started to defect to the NHL in 1988.

I think you've broken it down quite nicely here.

To me even the difference between the early 80's and late 80's/early 90's was quite large due to similar reasons. The quality of hockey was heightened and it's quite obvious from just going back and watching high level games.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
There's great talent in every era but I feel the lower end of talent was at its lowest in the 70's... as much as I hate to say that because that's what I grew up watching and it's my favorite era (because I'm a weirdo who is fascinated with really bad teams, expansion teams, and there was plenty of them in the 70's). Watch any game videos from the 70's that feature lower tier teams and you see guys skating around like chickens with no heads, passes going awry, defenders getting tangled in their own feet, etc.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Nobody played D. Hell, goalies were so bad they shouldn't have even suited up.
That's fairly idiotic, to say only the least.

In 1986-87, 88% of shots on goal were stopped by goaltenders.

In 2017-18, 91.2% of shots on goal were stopped by goaltenders.

It's a difference, but in the course of watching many games in each season would be a negligible difference to many viewers.

Do you think if we give today's average goalies the weight and size of equipment in 1986-87 that they won't stop 3% fewer shots? Probably more like 10%.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
That's fairly idiotic, to say only the least.

In 1986-87, 88% of shots on goal were stopped by goaltenders.

In 2017-18, 91.2% of shots on goal were stopped by goaltenders.

It's a difference, but in the course of watching many games in each season would be a negligible difference to many viewers.

Do you think if we give today's average goalies the weight and size of equipment in 1986-87 that they won't stop 3% fewer shots? Probably more like 10%.

I think it's fairly idiotic to watch the game played in the 80's and think it's comparable to today's game, to say the least. If you insert a goalie from the 80's into today's game we would see 15+ goals per game, in my opinion.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I think it's fairly idiotic to watch the game played in the 80's and think it's comparable to today's game, to say the least. If you insert a goalie from the 80's into today's game we would see 15+ goals per game, in my opinion.

Do they get new equipment? If so I think we see a record number of shutouts in the 2018-19 season.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Guys like Tom Barrasso, Patrick Roy, and Mike Vernon became stars in the 1980s. They won Cups in the 1990s and their numbers improved with better defenses in front of them. When you play a more wide-open game like the Flyers and Pens did in 2012(?) all of a sudden the modern super-goalies can't stop beach balls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad