1978 Habs - what would they look like if there was a salary cap?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah, with the audio and TV advancements since the 70s, I think the only way i would actually go to a game is if I got free tickets.

The home experience has just gotten so much better.
I remember playoff game against Leafs, not sold out.

Probably why Danny Gallivan, Dick Irvin were never replaced

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
The Big M was also a HUGE reason for the Cup win in71!
I believe the Habs can thank the Leafs a bit for him becoming available. If memory serves...one of his last games as a Red Wing was against the Leafs in Toronto. And the Wings were smoked around 12-0. Later in the third Howe and Delvecchio weren't even going on the ice anymore and the disgusted look on Mr Hockey's face told the story, possibly the night that he decided to retire at the end of the season. The Wings knew they weren't going anywhere and made the big deal with the Habs a little over a week later..

The Big M was rejuvenated, it helped he was also playing with brother Pete. He led the Habs in playoff scoring and if it wasn't for Dryden could have been the Conn Smythe winner. When I see a Hab player wearing 27 I'm still reminded of him.

Edit: The game I mentioned actually finished 13-0!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cournoyer12

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hilarious. The Yankees of hockey. I would tweak it a bit:

Robinson 8.5M (i'll give him Cale Makar money)
Dryden 8.5M (signed his contract in 74, so would have been lower)
Lafleur 8M (signed what turned out to be lowball contract in 74 also)
Shutt 8M (I'll put him on a par with Caufield)
Lemaire 8M ( i'd go a bit lower)
Larouche 8M (was a 50 goal guy before coming to Montreal... I'm going to up it)
Cournoyer 8M (veteran contract, scorer, i'll up it)
Lapointe 8M
Savard 7.5M
Lambert 5M
Houle 5M
Risebrough 4M (third liner money)
Bouchard 3.5M
Wilson 2M
Larocque 2M
Tremblay 1.5M
Gainey 1M (had just won his first Selke... I don't think he would have been paid yet lol...)
Nyrop 1M
Mondou 0.975M (78-79 was his breakout, so probably true)
Jarvis 0.975M
Chartraw 750K
Engblom 0.9M
Lupien 0.9M

Cap: 102,000,000 million

Assuming we're in the cap era, 20 million would have to go lol...so, you let go:
Larouche, Houle, Bouchard, Larocque, Wilson, Risebrough, Nyrop.

This before the 78-79 season would mean the team is beat up and loses its depth. THen again the Bruins would lose players too most likely.

Reasoning:
Larouche's 8M is the first candidate (they were already disenchanted with him defensively... Bowman was anyway)+1M to replace
Houle 5M is replaceable, tho a very nice third liner +1M to replace
Bouchard 3.5M is replaceable+1M to replace
Larocque 2M is replaceable for 1m, saves +1M to replace

saves 14.5M so far... need another 5.5M

Wilson 2M can go, saves 1M (4.5M to go)
Cournoyer 8M - his back was shot by then ... if his contract is up you have to let him go, if not...

It's probably Risebrough 4M... his output dipped 19 points....
And this was the summer that Nyrop 1M did quit, so...

Tremblay may have played on the third line but he was a 30 goals scorer. He would make 5 million easy.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I believe the Habs can thank the Leafs a bit for him becoming available. If memory serves...one of his last games as a Red Wing was against the Leafs in Toronto. And the Wings were smoked around 12-0. Later in the third Howe and Delvecchio weren't even going on the ice anymore and the disgusted look on Mr Hockey's face told the story, possibly the night that he decided to retire at the end of the season. The Wings knew they weren't going anywhere and made the big deal with the Habs a little over a week later..

The Big M was rejuvenated, it helped he was also playing with brother Pete. He led the Habs in playoff scoring and if it wasn't for Dryden could have been the Conn Smythe winner. When I see a Hab player wearing 27 I'm still reminded of him.

Edit: The game I mentioned actually finished 13-0!

They always said Pollock knew how to get the most out of Mahovlich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad