1978 Detroit Red Wings

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Like the 1989-90 Maple Leafs and the 2001-02 Blackhawks, this season was a major team anomaly amidst a mostly bad stretch for Detroit.

In 1976-77, the Red Wings were the seemingly usual terrible selves: 16-55-9 for 41 points (13 points worse than the 2nd-worst overall Colorado Rockies!)

But then a miracle- they jumped a whopping 37 points up the standings in 1978!

They managed to make the playoffs for the only time during an otherwise dreadful stretch in a bad era of hockey from 1972-1983 (Post-Howe, Pre-Yzerman)

Dale McCourt as a rookie was the team's leading scorer with 33 goals and 72 points (Only reason he didn't win the Calder Trophy in '78- Mike Bossy scored 53 goals).

Andre St. Laurent posted similar numbers (31 goals, 72 points).

Reed Larson, another standout rookie, had a then-rookie record 60 points for a defenseman (Only 6 other rookie blueliners have ever had more than 60 points in a season- 5 of them (Larry Murphy, Leetch, Housley, Chelios, Bourque) are in the HHOF.

They had 7 other players that scored between 11-20 goals- not overwhelming numbers, but it marked a big improvment from 1977's lowest scoring team.

Jim Rutherford in goal won 20 games (a far cry from his 7-34-6 record in '77)

Rookie coach Bobby Kromm came aboard. The Wings had a surprising 22-11-7 home record at the Olympia.

32-34-14 is not exactly a record that will blow you away, but considering how bad DET was in that era, it was a big deal. Outside of a pair of decent seasons in 1972-1973, this was the only other time they even won 30 games in a season until Yzerman.

Put it all together and you have a shocking turnaround

They made the playoffs and actually won an old best-of-3 preliminary series against the Atlanta Flames.

Next round- they had to play the Montreal Canadiens. The Habs of the late 70s were basically hockey gods whose entire roster was basically a HHOF wing.

Remarkably, they actually WON a playoff game at the Montreal Forum- they got a split against the Habs with a game 2 (one of only 3 postseason home games the Habs lost during their run of 4 straight Stanley Cups).

But that was that.

It was a fleeting moment, but what a moment.

But it proved to be an outlier- the next year, GM Ted Lindsay signed restricted free agent Rogie Bachon from the Kings and an NHL arbitrator ruled McCourt should be LA's compensation for losing their star goalie.

But McCourt did not report. He sued the Wings, Kings, the NHL, and NHLPA. He stayed in DET, but it didn't exactly end up paying dividends as LA improved in the standings and DET sank back to the bottom of the NHL.

For anyone old enough to remember, what are your recollections of when the Dead Wings era was briefly revived?

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
I wonder how much of an impact former Czechoslovakian star/defector Vaclav “Big Ned” Nedomansky had on the Red Wings that season? He joined Detroit in November following a trade with Birmingham of the WHA (though technically I don’t think they called them “trades” between the NHL and WHA) and gave them depth and strength at center. He also led the team in scoring during the playoffs.

Interesting side note: Detroit and Montreal haven’t met in the playoffs in the 42 years since. Only four of the 15 possible Original 6 playoff matchups have longer active “droughts”

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It is one of those weird trivia questions about the Habs/Wings playoff series that year isn't it? The Habs barely lost any playoff games during that dynasty and one of them was a home game against...........the Dead Things? I looked at that boxscore and saw nothing unusual. Montreal had a 2-0 lead before Detroit tied it up and then they got a couple of goals in the 3rd. Just goes to show you that even the mighty Habs had a night off once in a blue moon. Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Habs' dressing room after that loss!

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
I remember when the Habs lost that game to Detroit, the first year I watched hockey. It was huge news. I also remember a goal by I think Rejean Houle in that series. Yvan Cournoyer and Houle were on a 2 on 1. Cournoyer passed puck behind his back to Houle who slid into an open net. Quite the goal.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Detroit's signing of Rogie Vachon in '78 may have been the NHL'S first case of a big name player signing a huge contract as a free agent, then turning out to be a bust. It was thought he was going to take this young up-and-coming team to the next level, but by the end of the season the Wings quietly offered him to any team willing to pick up his salary. There were no takers.

It's interesting to speculate what may have happened without that signing. The Wings lost two first-rounders in the resulting deal getting McCourt back: #4 overall in '80 and #2 overall in '81. Lots of good players would've been available.

The Wings made a trade near the end of that '78 season dealing Dan Maloney to Toronto for Errol Thompson and some picks. Roger Neilson asked Leaf management specifically to get Maloney, and he helped the Leafs in their quarter=final win over the Islanders that year. Maybe Detroit didn't have anyone to take over as a team leader after he left.

As good as Dale McCourt's rookie season was that year, he only finished 4th in Calder behind Bossy, Beck and Edwards. One of the strongest seasons for rookies in NHL history.

An interesting note about that Montreal-Detroit series. In Game 4 Montreal beat the Wings 8-0 in Detroit. As dominant as those late-70s Montreal teams were, you rarely saw them run up the score like that in the playoffs. I wonder if they were trying to send a message after their pride being hurt in the earlier loss at the Forum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad