1976 Canada Cup DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather Gingerly 1*

Trottier said:
I just got it recently too, and have watched game one, Canada v. US. Yikes!

Watching Milbury flounder around on defense and Craig Patrick on the wing makes one feel very, very old.

Steve Shutt's dive selling a penalty is one of the funniest things one will ever see.

And there's Scotty Bowman on the bench ever looking the part of Bob Hope.

Few helmets, lower glass, no partition between players and fans in many parts of the forum....The game was simply more intimate at that time.

Guess you could get away with that in an era where there was a bit more respect between players, and fans and players.

That was my favorite time of hockey. But I was only a kid back then. Hockey seemed magical. Just glad I had the chance to enjoy it so

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Rather Gingerly 1 said:
That was my favorite time of hockey. But I was only a kid back then. Hockey seemed magical. Just glad I had the chance to enjoy it so

:)

We're likely around the same age, for I share that sentiment.

The older I get, the more I realize just how much hockey has contributed to my happier times on this planet.

As you put it, it "seemed magical" back then. The amazing thing is, in many ways, it still does!

Ogopogo*

Trottier said:
:)

We're likely around the same age, for I share that sentiment.

The older I get, the more I realize just how much hockey has contributed to my happier times on this planet.

As you put it, it "seemed magical" back then. The amazing thing is, in many ways, it still does!

I concur with the "magical" sentiment. I have that feeling about 70s and 80s hockey.

Hockey today is still a wonderful diversion from everyday life. Some of the magic is not there like it was during my childhood but, it is still very compelling.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
I concur with the "magical" sentiment. I have that feeling about 70s and 80s hockey.

Hockey today is still a wonderful diversion from everyday life. Some of the magic is not there like it was during my childhood but, it is still very compelling.

I hear you. To be sure, it's hard not to be at least a bit more cynical about things as your eyes open up with age. (Though it's unfortunate to see that same degree of cynicism already well entrenched in younger fans, I'll admit.)

Heck, back in the day, all I knew was the game on the ice; Alan Eagelson, etc. was meaningless. And I personally was spoiled, being weaned on Bobby Orr, then going right into my own team's dynasty at the turn of the next decade. Fact is, nothing, sportswise, ever again was going to match the glory of those times.

Today, the business side, the controversy, is unavoidable, on an all-too regular basis.

Still, there is a lot to love about hockey. Disproportionately so, IMO, relative to other forms of sport entertainment/diversions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad