1976 Canada Cup DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

I haven't gotten it yet.

One question about it though: Does it include the Canada vs. Finland round robin game?

Because at Future Shop, it doesn't list that game as being part of the set, which would be dumb since it was part of the tournament.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
ferns8916 said:
I haven't gotten it yet.

One question about it though: Does it include the Canada vs. Finland round robin game?

Because at Future Shop, it doesn't list that game as being part of the set, which would be dumb since it was part of the tournament.
It isn't part of the set. The reason being they couldn't find any tapes of that game.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Alrighty then. I got the DVD set a few days ago and here are some first impressions...

Firstly, the quality of the footage is not that great, which is made clear even before you can watch any games: "It´s thirty years old for crying out loud" :D . But there are no major complaints on my part; I´ve seen worse.

Of the bonus features, the documentary is nice, though I wish it had more goals shown and less other stuff. And why such an uneven and reasonably meaningless game like Soviet U. vs. USA is so widely covered in it? Oh yeah, it has that Cold War thing and bad blood and dirty playing from frustrated Americans and blahblahblah. Please, give me great hockey instead.

There is also quite interesting version of the 2nd final (or periods 1, 3 and OT) with Denis Potvin and Bobby Clarke commenting on the action & hockey in general. I sometimes get nauseated when hearing North Americans give their opinions about European players and hockey, but I think Clarke and Potvin are being pretty fair and reasonable there. But very amusingly, Clarke seems to be under impression that Peter Stastny´s dad and uncle (?!) play on the Czechoslovakian team :biglaugh: (in reality they had 19-20 year-old Peter Stastny HIMSELF and his brother Marian plus Bohuslav Stastny who is not related, I believe). It can be confusing I´m sure.

So far I´ve only concentrated on the three Czechoslovakia games and I think they all (minus the 1st final) fall into very good/excellent category. It´s obvious that this is a better Team Canada than four years earlier. The most noticeable difference is passing; you can see more than one or two good passes in a row this time. And with all due respect; there are no Rod Seilings and Wayne Cashmans on this team.

Here are little (very little) "game recaps" of the games I´ve watched so far. If you don´t know what happened and like to keep it that way (for now), please skip the rest of this post :D

Round Robin, Czechoslovakia - Canada

I expected a lot from this game, so did it deliver? Well, yes and no; actually, the 1st period is not so entertaining, as the checking (or Czeching!) is tight and there are only a few good scoring chances. But in the second the game opens up considerably and the 3rd is a great one.
Of course, every time this game is mentioned, the name of Vladimir Dzurilla comes up. So how good is he? He does play brilliantly and Canada dominates slightly, but it´s not like he´s keeping the Czechs single-handedly in the game because Vachon in the other end is awesome too and the final score could have easily been 3-0, 4-0 or whatever for Czechoslovakia.
The only goal of the game comes with about five minutes left when Martinec goes into the Canadian zone, pokes the puck to Augusta who makes some neat moves and drops the puck to Novy who scores with a low shot to the left corner. A great goal. The Czechs then hold on in the last minutes and are well-deserved winners. Dzurilla and Vachon are chosen as the stars of the game.

1st final, Canada - Czechoslovakia

The final score tells the story - a blowout. Dzurilla looks a less than a superhuman this time around as he lets 4 unanswered goals (a couple of weak ones) in the first period. He is then replaced by Jiri Holecek who plays well (and is quite unfortunate to have the 6-0 goal [Sittler] scored against him in the last second when his teammates stop playing), but it doesn´t make much difference, anyway. What the Czechs would have needed was Vachon giving up some bad goals to get into the game, but that just wasn´t on the menu. So it´s a quite lifeless affair right to the end, but still pretty interesting to watch. I´m happy that the finals were played best-of-three since this game would have left a nasty aftertaste.

2nd final, Canada - Czechoslovakia

In the beginning it looks like another blowout win for Canada as Holecek gives up two goals in the first three minutes or so. The goals by Perreault and Esposito aren´t awful but it´s quite clear that Holecek doesn´t have what it takes at this point and is replaced by Dzurilla. For whatever reason, Holecek never really played great against the North Americans whereas he was often almost unbeatable vs. the Soviets. This tournament was his chance to break in North America and he couldn´t deliver... too bad.
Anyway Dzurilla plays very well right until the end and the game itself is fast-paced and filled with great saves, good scoring chances and drama. Even though it was a dreadful start for the Czechs, it´s actually Canada who needs a goal (Czechs lead 4-3) with about four minutes left of the regulation time. And a goal they get; the LCB-line scores (Barber) on a rush and OT follows.
At first, the Czechs dominate clearly and have great scoring chances but the turning point comes at the seven-minute mark when, after a face-off, Hlinka and Holik work the puck to Martinec who lets a blistering shot go from the slot, and Vachon (damn you!) makes a spectacular glove-save. Martinec looks really disheartened but Holik skates up to Vachon and graciously gives him a well-deserved pat on the back.
After that, it´s more or less "when and how?" as Canada presses on for the winning goal. After two disallowed goals the inevitable happens... no need to comment on that any further; you probably know your hockey history.

If I had to name one player who has so far impressed me the most it would have to be GILBERT PERREAULT. His rushes are just breathtaking to watch, and while he may not have been the fastest ever in a race down the rink, his ability to stickhandle through traffic is almost unmatched.

That´s it for now...

Last edited:

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
One correction; I just figured out (silly me) that the DVD actually has TWO DIFFERENT documentaries, other in English and the other in French, and the French one is definitely better IMO. It shows clips from alternative camera angles and the picture quality is much better. And it has also footage from the "classic" Finland - Sweden game which is not included in the English-speaking documentary :yo: .

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
That particular hi-lite tape in french was an awesome discovery - actually was found when searching for the Canada-Finland game. So, it was a bonus that was added to the DVD set.

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
That particular hi-lite tape in french was an awesome discovery - actually was found when searching for the Canada-Finland game. So, it was a bonus that was added to the DVD set.

Classic I read that the 72 Series tv rights were owned by Orr and Ballard. Eagleson set this up. true?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
That was true for the original broadcasts in 1972.

Its complicated but the players themselves claimed and now own all the rights of any footage of the '72 series and they retain Ficel Marketing as their representative.

Its a pretty good deal for the players. In order to use any footage from that series on a documentary, the producers have to pay a hefty fee.
Since Paul Henderson is one of the 'owners', he used quite a bit of footage in his documentary. Have you seen it?

chooch said:
Classic I read that the 72 Series tv rights were owned by Orr and Ballard. Eagleson set this up. true?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Marcus-74 said:
If I had to name one player who has so far impressed me the most it would have to be GILBERT PERREAULT. His rushes are just breathtaking to watch, and while he may not have been the fastest ever in a race down the rink, his ability to stickhandle through traffic is almost unmatched.

Perreault was my favourite player as a kid, and I`ve never seen him play any better than he did at Canada Cup `76 or Canada Cup `81 (on a line with Gretzky and Lafleur before he was injured).

I picked my copy earlier this week and from what I`ve watched Denis Potvin had a helluva series. Not to take anything away from how great Bobby Orr played (remarkably brilliant considering his knees were finished) but one could make a case that Potvin was actually the top defenceman at the tourney.

To Classic Hockey: What are the chances of the other Canada Cups being released on DVDs? Are the sales for `76 better or worse than expected?

chooch*

ClassicHockey said:
That was true for the original broadcasts in 1972.

Its complicated but the players themselves claimed and now own all the rights of any footage of the '72 series and they retain Ficel Marketing as their representative.

Its a pretty good deal for the players. In order to use any footage from that series on a documentary, the producers have to pay a hefty fee.
Since Paul Henderson is one of the 'owners', he used quite a bit of footage in his documentary. Have you seen it?

Didn't know it existed. What's it titled?

Ps. On Potvin, he was writing a column during that Canada Cup and in it he churlishly stated that he should have been the Team Canada MVP not Orr. That article wasnt forgotten for years by the media.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Potvin got a lot of flak for the article he wrote claiming that he was the best defenceman.

Other Canada Cups on DVD? Hard to say right now. There has to be a selling point.

I doubt there would be a 1981 Canada Cup DVD because of the result.

1984 might be a possibility but it doesn't have the same interest compared to the 1976 Canada Cup and one reason is Bobby Orr.

The 1987 Canada Cup games were released on vhs a while back and that would be more likely because of Gretzky and Lemieux.

reckoning said:
Perreault was my favourite player as a kid, and I`ve never seen him play any better than he did at Canada Cup `76 or Canada Cup `81 (on a line with Gretzky and Lafleur before he was injured).

I picked my copy earlier this week and from what I`ve watched Denis Potvin had a helluva series. Not to take anything away from how great Bobby Orr played (remarkably brilliant considering his knees were finished) but one could make a case that Potvin was actually the top defenceman at the tourney.

To Classic Hockey: What are the chances of the other Canada Cups being released on DVDs? Are the sales for `76 better or worse than expected?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The Paul Henderson DVD is called:

"Goal - The Paul Henderson Story"

It traces his life story including of course the 1972 series and ends with his work with the 'Leadership Group'.

I thought it was well-done.

It was released over a month ago but I don't know where its being distributed.

chooch said:
Didn't know it existed. What's it titled?

Ps. On Potvin, he was writing a column during that Canada Cup and in it he churlishly stated that he should have been the Team Canada MVP not Orr. That article wasnt forgotten for years by the media.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
If anyone else is a poor university student just wait for a few months to a year and the price of the DVD should go down significantly. I am just saying this because with the 1972 Summit Series the cost was oringally around 60 dollars I believe and I was able to find it at Walmart for 20 dollars.

beerandcats

Oct 26, 2003
New Westminster BC
Maxwell Edison said:
If anyone else is a poor university student just wait for a few months to a year and the price of the DVD should go down significantly. I am just saying this because with the 1972 Summit Series the cost was oringally around 60 dollars I believe and I was able to find it at Walmart for 20 dollars.

I bought the 1972 set when it first came out and it was only 29$, and it has gone down a bit. I would not hold my breath on the 1976 set going down too much, as it is being advertised as a "Limited Edition"of 30,000 copies with each set being numbered...mine is 07299! Out here in BC the price is in the 47-55$ range at Future Shop, Best Buy and Costco.

Rather Gingerly 1*

That's still kind of pricey for me. I think I may try and buy it through Ebay. May get a new tv also...one of those LCD ones. Maybe both would make great gifts next year for Christmas. Price on each should be done to dirt cheap by then.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
The DVD is not very expensive and you can get it from this website if you write or call them:

http://www.theleadershipgroup.ca/

ClassicHockey said:
The Paul Henderson DVD is called:

"Goal - The Paul Henderson Story"

It traces his life story including of course the 1972 series and ends with his work with the 'Leadership Group'.

I thought it was well-done.

It was released over a month ago but I don't know where its being distributed.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
ClassicHockey said:
Potvin got a lot of flak for the article he wrote claiming that he was the best defenceman.

Other Canada Cups on DVD? Hard to say right now. There has to be a selling point.

I doubt there would be a 1981 Canada Cup DVD because of the result.

1984 might be a possibility but it doesn't have the same interest compared to the 1976 Canada Cup and one reason is Bobby Orr.

The 1987 Canada Cup games were released on vhs a while back and that would be more likely because of Gretzky and Lemieux.

Now here´s an idea; putting out Challenge Cup ´79 & Rendez-Vous ´87 games on one DVD set.

Selling point? Well, Gretzky and Lemieux (Rendez-Vous), one of the best Soviet teams ever (Challenge Cup) against "decent" Team Canad... (oops!) NHL All Stars, Gerry Cheevers´goaltending...hahaha... I guess not.

Having watched some more of the Canada Cup ´76 games, I have to ask; what was wrong with the Habs´ players? Lafleur often seems invisible, Larry Robinson doesn´t get a single point I believe, and my old fave Serge Savard doesn´t look very reliable (against the Soviets and Czechs) and his passing isn´t so sharp, either. And where´s the spinarama?! :dunno: The only Montreal guys who play up to their own standards are Pete Mahovlich and Guy Lapointe IMO.

BTW, The Soviet game is probably the most entertaining of the bunch; lots of good fast-paced end-to-end action. It´s certainly not the best possible Soviet team, but, as a result, the game might be more fun to watch, because the young, fast, hungry players are really going at it and are not so concerned about defense! Especially watch Helmut Balderis (not moustached yet!) = THE BEST/FASTEST SKATER IN THE TOURNAMENT. PERIOD!

Last edited:

NordsFan

Feb 12, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Just got this the other day... watched the first game so far (CAN vs USA).
I also own the 4 disc 72' Series....
A little dissapointed how the 72' DVD set is alot better quality than 76'.

The set however, I like the 76' series, as all the games aren't vs Russia (72).
But the 76' series looks like a poor VHS copy on DVD.
They do make you aware of this before watching.

Anyhow, great DVD set for any Hockey collection!

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I just got it recently too, and have watched game one, Canada v. US. Yikes!

Watching Milbury flounder around on defense and Craig Patrick on the wing makes one feel very, very old.

Steve Shutt's dive selling a penalty is one of the funniest things one will ever see.

And there's Scotty Bowman on the bench ever looking the part of Bob Hope.

Few helmets, lower glass, no partition between players and fans in many parts of the forum....The game was simply more intimate at that time.

Guess you could get away with that in an era where there was a bit more respect between players, and fans and players.

Ogopogo*

canucksfan said:
Anyone got this yet? I picked up mine yesterday. I love watching the old games. So far I have only watched the first period of the Canada US game.

I heard that the video quality is terrible. Is this true?

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Are there any games featuring Sweden on this DVD?

I currently own two Canada Cup DVD's, they don't have full games though but just highlights, but I like them anyway, so I recommend these too for people that don't already have them in their collection (plus they're very cheap).

Blade Wars - Blades Of Summer Canada Cup '87
Blade Wars - Lords Of The Ice Canada Cup '91

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Some months ago during the planning stages of this DVD set I had mentioned that broadcast quality copies of the 1976 series were not to be found anywhere. So the set was delayed until a further search was made but to no avail.

Yes, the quality isn't what you are used to getting off other DVDs and there is a disclaimer on the screen acknowledging that there were some flaws in the picture, although there was a lot of time spent on trying to enhance the video.

But the quality isn't that bad. I would say its like watching a vhs tape.

By the way, the hi-lite tape that is included in the set is superb quality and never before been shown.

But here is the question: Would you rather have the series made available in the quality that exists or would you have the series never to be shown or never made available at all?

NordsFan said:
Just got this the other day... watched the first game so far (CAN vs USA).
I also own the 4 disc 72' Series....
A little dissapointed how the 72' DVD set is alot better quality than 76'.

The set however, I like the 76' series, as all the games aren't vs Russia (72).
But the 76' series looks like a poor VHS copy on DVD.
They do make you aware of this before watching.

Anyhow, great DVD set for any Hockey collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->