1974: Ken Dryden rumored trade to Golden Seals

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’m flipping through a January 1974 issue of The Hockey News and a note in Ken McKenzie’s “Passing The Puck” column caught my eye.

“A big story making the rounds had Montreal sending Michel Plasse, Steve Shutt, John Van Boxmeer and the rights to Ken Dryden to the California Golden Seals in exchange for Hilliard Graves, Gilles Meloche plus future draft priorities.”

This is the first I’ve ever heard of that potential deal. Does anyone on here recall these or similar rumblings at that time?

This was obviously during the season Dryden sat out, but boy am I glad this trade didn’t go through..

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Meloche ironically had a significant part in ending the Habs late 1970`s dynasty with Minnesota in the 1980 playoffs.

He had a great series, I remember Dick Irvin saying it was one of the best performances he had seen in the playoffs.

LES CANADIENS ARE LAID TO REST

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
This trade happens...Dryden's not only out of the "Big 7" but he's not top 20, right? I don't say that to be flip, but this would represent a substantial difference in work and travel...

Dryden spent his career facing 27 shots a game with his team almost constantly protecting a lead...the Golden Seals gave up 27 shots before the anthem was over...and that's with them always trailing...

The only redeeming quality I could see is if he goes all Hasek on them and then becomes the save pct. king of kings post-forward pass...but did he have that in him, ya think...?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This trade happens...Dryden's not only out of the "Big 7" but he's not top 20, right? I don't say that to be flip, but this would represent a substantial difference in work and travel...

If the trade goes through, does Dryden stay in his law career instead of reporting to an obvious train wreck?

(For what it's worth, Meloche saw 32.5 and 30.8 shots/game in his last two seasons in California pre-relocation.)

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005

Dryden spent his career facing 27 shots a game with his team almost constantly protecting a lead...the Golden Seals gave up 27 shots before the anthem was over...and that's with them always trailing...

The only redeeming quality I could see is if he goes all Hasek on them and then becomes the save pct. king of kings post-forward pass...but did he have that in him, ya think...?

No doubt in 1971 he did. Maybe even 1973. He was spectacular in 1971. As good as anyone talented and riding a hot streak. Montreal had no business winning that Cup except for him. Ask Phi Esposito:). The Bruins were stonewalled and the rest was all relatively easy for Dryden. I remember it well.

Still... over a career I would rate both Tony Esposito and Bernie Parent as better goalies. If Tony O had only been a Montreal Canadian.... I would have enjoyed seeing that.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Prior to the summer of 1969, he was. ;)

Man, those Canadiens had goaltending depth up the wazoo.
Chico Resch was talking about going to camp with the Habs. The other goaltenders were Rogie Vachon, Ken Dryden, Michel Plasse, Phil Myre and Wayne Thomas, pretty amazing depth.

Reactions: Doctor No

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If Dryden is traded to the Seals then he never wins another Cup. But he still has two, plus being on Team Canada in 1972. If Meloche is the goalie for Montreal do they win 4 straight? I don't think they do. 1976 may have been a sweep against the Flyers, but these were all close games, one-goal games other than the last one. Dryden helped make the difference. Would Meloche have? 1977 wouldn't have changed a thing, but maybe they don't have a 132 point season.

Keep in mind one thing, Dryden may have been on a stacked team but he still had a pretty good Hart voting record those years. People recognized him as an important part of that team.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Meloche was subject to another possible move out of California.

Punch Imlach wanted him for Buffalo in 1974.. The asking price was Lee Fogolin and Peter McNabb.

I would have loved to see that 75 - 75 final against Philadelphia with Meloche v Parent. Desjardins mentally melted down for Buffalo, and Roger Crozier had to take over.

Crozier didn't play badly, but when you face Bernie Parent in his prime, it would have required a fantastic goalie performance to have beaten him.

Meloche would have offered that possibility...

Punch regretted not making that deal the rest of his life....:(

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Never heard of this one, but I recall a few years ago reading about how the WHA Los Angeles Sharks made an offer to Dryden that included a big pile of money plus a practice with one of the more prestigious law offices in the Los Angeles area at the time.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Intriguing to contemplate, did Dryden ever mention this in his book? Jan. 1974 would have placed it around the time Finley gave up ownership and the Seals were taken over by the league (and got to wear standard skates!) I can't imagine him being too happy about joining the Seals based on how their season had progressed (worst in their history) but if he stuck around, there was certainly a positive vibe that the team was improving over the next two years before shuffling off to Cleveland.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If the trade goes through, does Dryden stay in his law career instead of reporting to an obvious train wreck?

(For what it's worth, Meloche saw 32.5 and 30.8 shots/game in his last two seasons in California pre-relocation.)

Yeah--I do not see Dryden playing for the Seal

Habs had hard enough time getting him into uniform and while he played with the habs he still found time to hit the law books and classes--which he could not have done out west

also the deal does not make sense to me

in 1974 while KD had taken a year off--he had previously won 39/33 games

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I’m flipping through a January 1974 issue of The Hockey News and a note in Ken McKenzie’s “Passing The Puck” column caught my eye.

“A big story making the rounds had Montreal sending
Michel Plasse, Steve Shutt, John Van Boxmeer and the rights to Ken Dryden to the California Golden Seals in exchange for Hilliard Graves, Gilles Meloche plus future draft priorities.”

This is the first I’ve ever heard of that potential deal. Does anyone on here recall these or similar rumblings at that time?

This was obviously during the season Dryden sat out, but boy am I glad this trade didn’t go through..

is it just me or something looks off with that rumour

Graves had on good year ad ended up getting traded for John Stewart and I like Meloche and I am old enough to have seen him play
you gotta think that the key to the deal was going to be a couple of first rounders going to Montreal

and one other thing needs to be remember

June 10th 1974 expansion draft

I think this deal might have been an attempt by the habs not to loose good players for nothing

Habs lost Plasse, Fullen and Horbul

man the draft had a lot of crap available and we can see why the teams sucked for so long

1974 NHL Expansion Draft - Wikipedia

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
while he played with the habs he still found time to hit the law books and classes--which he could not have done out west

I haven't experienced them personally, but I've been told that the law schools at Stanford at Cal-Berkeley are decent. Given his background, I bet he'd have been able to wiggle into one.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
GILLES MELOCHE is 1 of the Most Underrated NHL Goalie’s EVER!!!

Had Meloche went to Montreal (A Team with 7 - 10 Hall of Famers) I think they would have Won Stanley Cup’s no problem.

Gilles Meloche Played 18 Season of PRO Hockey in the NHL & lets face it look at some of the TEAM’s he played on (They were Shitty) and facing a Barrage of SHOTS Every Night.

MELOCHE Never got the Respect that he deserved but I’m glad that a few HOF’amers have given Gilles praise (Lafleur, Mikita, Mario Lemieux, Dionne etc) over the years as he is def 1 of the Best of the Underrated Goalies in NHL Hockey History.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
As I recall, the Black Hawks had traded Gerry Desjardins to the Seals to get Gary Smith. However, the trade was voided because Desjardin's broken arm hadn't healed sufficiently. So, they kept Gerry and sent Meloche off to complete the trade. they'd lose Desjardins in the next expansion draft.

Too bad they didn't dump Smith and keep Meloche. However, one wonders how much playing time he'd have gotten backing up Esposito.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad