1972 Summit Series MVP

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
If the 1972 Summit Series had a mvp award who would you guys give?

I go with Kharlamov, the guy scored or assisted all 3 winning goals from the russians, and when Bobby Clarke injured him, his team was unabled to finish Canada.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
From the Soviets, I'll have to choose Aleksandr Yakushev overall; he was that good in the last 3 games. But Kharlamov was robbed of the chance.
From Canada, it's Phil Esposito, with Brad Park as the runner-up.

The tournament MVP would probably be Esposito, but not so clearly.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think overall it's Esposito fairly comfortably. Probably played the best overall in the series, and Canada was quite dependent on a small group of players. Runners up for Canada would be Park, Henderson and Clarke. Savard would be worthy of a mention had he played the whole series. For the Soviets I think that the MVP would be Yakushev. Kharlamov misses out on contending due to his injury. Then possibly Shadrin and Mikhailov.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Mikhailov was excellent in the first four games, but my problem with him is that he was held off the scoreboard in the games in Moscow - especially since he was first and foremost a goal-scorer.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Interesting that the guy who scored the game winner in each of the last 3 games hasn't been mentioned.

I remember Espo as being a tremendous leader, and certainly had the scoring power...and Yakushev/Kharlamov were the studs for USSR.

Pete Mahovlich had a great series for Canada, along with Park being their best defenseman in that series.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Problem here i believe is that the canadians believed they could walk over the soviets whilst not even in game shape. That's on them i suppose, but it makes Espositos leadership all the more important.
Interesting though that Yakushev answered the call when Canada was advancing.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Interesting that the guy who scored the game winner in each of the last 3 games hasn't been mentioned.

True, but would you rank Henderson ahead of Espo? I think overall Espo had more impact, though Canada would have lost without either of them.

Reactions: Mandar

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Was Zinger suppose to start a game for USSR?

How about the reverse? Who were the players who didn't have a good series?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If the 1972 Summit Series had a mvp award who would you guys give?

I go with Kharlamov, the guy scored or assisted all 3 winning goals from the russians, and when Bobby Clarke injured him, his team was unabled to finish Canada.
Esposito. Easily.
Paul Henderson a "somewhat" close number two.
Serge Savard a distant third.

Reactions: rfournier103

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Was Zinger suppose to start a game for USSR?

I don't think Dryden was all that great. Out of the three goalies who played the series he is 3rd. Tony Esposito played the best followed by Tretiak but Dryden didn't play well for the most part although he did make some key saves in the 8th game after it was 5-3.

Ratelle and Gilbert had their moments but they were probably counted on for more production.

But the answer here just might be Frank Mahovlich. He just seemed gassed by the Soviet speed. Maybe at 34 it was the first crack of him showing his age?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, it is Phil Esposito, no question. There is no opportunity for Henderson without him. This was a classic case of a guy leading a team and carrying them by the scruff of their neck. People also forget, Esposito was scoring all throughout the tournament, it was well spread out, even in the losing games and then Game 8 was his pinnacle.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

I guess Vladimir Vikulov has to be mentioned, since he had been a star and a regular on the national team from 1966 on, and rarely played for Team USSR after that, even though he was only 26 in 1972, and still had very good seasons on CSKA. I think his weakish performance had an effect.
More was arguably expected from Maltsev, but I think he was at least OK in the deciding games in Moscow (especially on PP).

From Team Canada, it's definitely Frank Mahovlich; only glimpses of his skills/speed were seen in the series. As for lesser stars, Vic Hadfield and Don Awrey come to mind. Hadfield's linemates Ratelle and Gilbert started out badly but were pretty good in the end. Mikita didn't get to play much, but I don't think he was so bad in games 2 and 3; Canada just had decent depth at center.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't think Dryden was all that great. Out of the three goalies who played the series he is 3rd. Tony Esposito played the best followed by Tretiak but Dryden didn't play well for the most part although he did make some key saves in the 8th game after it was 5-3.
I agree word for word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->