1968-1980 playoff tv broadcasts lost to history, or never covered at all?

andreydali19

They're relentless
Jun 19, 2006
Liv. of Mich.
Looking back at the early expansion playoff results, it's a guess whether local coverage came through to highlight their home teams or if the major networks had the final say in what was highlighted. Anyone know which series during the aforementioned period received coverage that js now hard to find or no longer exists, or never received coverage in the first place?

Last edited:

FelixPotvin29GOAT

Feb 23, 2007
In a similar vein, i've wondered the same thing about playoff broadcasts from 93-94. The NHL Network's show Classic Series has done shows on many post season series for every season post 1989 with 94 being the only exception (The show has yet to cover post season series post 2004)

The only shows i can remember them doing for the 93/94 playoffs are Vancouver/Calgary and Vancouver/New York. They have not at all covered; New Jersey/Buffalo, Detroit/San Jose, Boston/Montreal Toronto/Chicago, Washington/Pittsburgh, Boston/New Jersey, Toronto/San Jose and New Jersey/New York.

Does anyone have insight as to why they've yet to really delve into the 94 playoffs yet while doing as many shows as they have on post seasons like the 95 and 96 seasons (which were no where near as interesting) ?

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In a similar vein, i've wondered the same thing about playoff broadcasts from 93-94. The NHL Network's show Classic Series has done shows on many post season series for every season post 1989 with 94 being the only exception (The show has yet to cover post season series post 2004)

The only shows i can remember them doing for the 93/94 playoffs are Vancouver/Calgary and Vancouver/New York. They have not at all covered; New Jersey/Buffalo Detroit/San Jose Games)Boston/Montreal Toronto/Chicago, Washington/Pittsburgh, Boston/New Jersey, Toronto/San Jose and New Jersey/New York.

Does anyone have insight as to why they've yet to really delve into the 94 playoffs yet while doing as many shows as they have on post seasons like the 95 and 96 seasons (which were no where near as interesting) ?

i have no idea, but I've wondered that myself. I have almost every single one saved, there are tons from every year from 1991-2004 but just a couple in 1994.

Also, they did do a few 2009 and 2010 series.

IcedMaidenDeth

Feb 7, 2010
New Jersey

The only shows i can remember them doing for the 93/94 playoffs are Vancouver/Calgary and Vancouver/New York. They have not at all covered; New Jersey/Buffalo, Detroit/San Jose, Boston/Montreal Toronto/Chicago, Washington/Pittsburgh, Boston/New Jersey, Toronto/San Jose and New Jersey/New York.

I've seen New Jersey/New York a couple of times on NHL Network. Or perhaps I'm just thinking of when they showed Game 6 or 7 from that series in its entirety.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I've seen New Jersey/New York a couple of times on NHL Network. Or perhaps I'm just thinking of when they showed Game 6 or 7 from that series in its entirety.

yeah, as far as I know, there's no NY/NJ classic series. I have had my PVR set to record every episode for about 2 years.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd imagine most of it was covered, but unfortunately almost all has been lost from that time period. 1968-1975 or thereabouts is a virtual black hole for complete games. Basically Bobby Orr's prime years, sadly. I think it was somebody on this board that was in the know that mentioned they're not just being stingy with releasing games from this era, they simply don't exist.

I've wondered about the 1994 playoffs as well. There seems to be no logical reason as to why they have numerous Classic Series for most other years, yet a year which featured multiple classics has been almost completely ignored. It can't honestly be that the footage isn't available.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The 1994 playoffs were heavily covered in the NYC area (for obvious reasons). I have no proof of this, but it's quite possible that MSG (which had its own TV channel even back then) owns the rights to all the Rangers games (or at least Rangers home games) and won't just hand them over to the NHL. And you can't really do a retrospective of the 1994 playoffs without Rangers games.

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
There are some Bruins broadcast from 1971 playoffs in Boston Public Library. TV38. Good chance all Bruins playoff games are in there

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
Well around the end of the lockout, the Rangers released a 15 dvd set with each of the first 14 discs containing an entire game from the entire Rangers-Devil and Rangers-Canucks series. I think the 15th disc contained some documentaries. I think I only watched that disc once, so I'm not completely sure.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I remember reading somewhere that a lot of Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts from the 70s were taped over or not kept, and are lost to history. I don't think a complete copy of Daryl Sittler's 10-point night exists, for example. It's pretty sad.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
well

Due to the low interest in the NHL

unlike other league--most American media did not archieve the NHL material and it was not until the creation of VHS that better historical coverage by the canadian media got better as well.

The CBC used to keep alot of old game and a few years ago(games from the 60's and 70's) the CBC went to their archieves and discovered most of the images were toast due to power storage

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
well

Due to the low interest in the NHL

unlike other league--most American media did not archieve the NHL material and it was not until the creation of VHS that better historical coverage by the canadian media got better as well.

The CBC used to keep alot of old game and a few years ago(games from the 60's and 70's) the CBC went to their archieves and discovered most of the images were toast due to power storage
It wasn't necessarily due to the low interest, they were just really poor at keeping the material. 1969 is the first complete World Series. The epic games 1 and 7 of the 1968 World Series were only kept due to - ironically - the CBC.

Saying that, while I have no doubt a lot of games were lost, there are certainly more games available than what we've seen available on iTunes or NHLN.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I'd imagine most of it was covered, but unfortunately almost all has been lost from that time period. 1968-1975 or thereabouts is a virtual black hole for complete games.
Very frustrating, as this was my prime era of hockey interest. I'm grateful to have a copy of the Feb. 1970 Seals at Leafs game (where Gary Smith carried the puck past center ice). To think that the Seals and Kings played a poorly-attended 7-game quarterfinal round "Battle of California" and the only people who could tell about it were the few thousand in the stands as I can't imagine this was broadcast over local TV...

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
I only just remembered this, and I don't remember if the program still airs, but on MSG there is/was a show called MSG Vault where they showed newly rediscovered games in their entirety (when such records existed) of Rangers and Knicks games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad