1967 Canada Games

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I was looking up some information about Newfoundland hockey and I saw that in 1967 the MUN Beothuks represented Newfoundland at the Canada Games. Apparently all provinces were represented by university teams. The story did not list all provinces, but this is what they had:

Ontario: McMaster Marlins
Quebec: Laval Rouge et Or
New Brunswick: St. Thomas Tommies
B.C.: UBC Thunderbirds

Alberta won the gold, B.C. the silver, and Ontario the bronze.

LINK: http://www.cbncompass.ca/Sports/2015-02-27/article-4052998/A-Games-connection/1

I got to thinking what a great tournament this would have been. And what if they did this now? And what if they let AAA Senior Allan Cup teams challenge for provincial titles?

To make provincials work they would need a single knock-out and some would be wild.

B.C. (7)
CIS: UBC
BCIHL: Victoria, Selkirk College, Trinity Western, Simon Fraser
Senior: Powell River Regals, Fort St. John Flyers

One team would get a bye through the quarter-finals but this could go over a weekend. UBC should win pretty easily.

ALBERTA (16)
CIS: Alberta, Calgary, Mount Royal, Lethbridge
ACAC: NAIT, SAIT, Augustana, Keyano, Red Deer, MacEwan, Concordia, Portage
Senior: Bentley Generals, Fort Saskatchewan Chiefs, Innisfail Eagles, Stony Plain Amirals

This would be the toughest province. It would require two weekends. There would need to be four preliminary tournaments with four teams each, followed by a "Final Four", just like the NCAA. They could hire Sepp Blatter to pull the balls from the pots to make the groups. One team from the CIS, one from the top 4 of the ACAC, one from the bottom 4 of the ACAC, and one senior team.

SASKATCHEWAN (6)
CIS: Saskatchewan, Regina
ACAC: Briercrest
Senior: Rosetown Red Wings, Shellbrook Elks, Lloydminster Border Kings

This could be done on one weekend with two teams getting byes past the quarter-finals. Though the Mutts faltered last year they should be able to get through this collection. Altough a sudden-death final featuring Cats v Dogs would be quite a battle.

MANITOBA (2)
CIS: Manitoba
Senior: Southeast Prairie Thunder

A small group but the SEPT are defending Allan Cup champs. And their coach is the Bison assistant coach and three players are on the Bison staff. I would see this being an old-school 2-game total goals series. I think it would draw pretty well out in Steinbach where the SEPT could hold a banner-raising. The Bisons would likely win but it wouldn't be easy by any means.

ONTARIO (22)
CIS: Brock, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurier, Ryerson, Toronto, Waterloo, Western Ontario, Windsor, York, Carleton, Laurentian, Nipissing, Queen's, RMC, UOIT
Senior: Brantford Blast, Dundas Real McCoys, Norwood Vipers, Stoney Creek Generals, Whitby Dunlops, Kenora Thistles

Like Alberta, Ontario would need two sets of tournaments. The opening round would have two 6-team tournaments and two 5-team tournaments, leading to a final 4. Just following along this massive knockout tournament would be a bit like the FA Cup in English soccer. With the right draw I could see a senior team making the final 4 in Ontario.

QUEBEC (3)
CIS: McGill, UQTR, Concordia

It is amazing that Quebec would have so few teams capable of challenging for this. At one time they had a thriving college league. Anyhow, two of the three teams would be medal threats at the Canada Games.

NEW BRUNSWICK (4)
CIS: New Brunswick, Moncton, St. Thomas
Senior: Lameque Au P'tit Mousse

I bet they could draw large crowds for this perfect little tournament. Four teams, semi-finals Saturday and a final on Sunday. UNB would be heavy favourites but possible rivalry match-ups with the Pids and Eggs would make this dangerous for them.

NOVA SCOTIA (4)
CIS: Acadia, Saint Mary's, St. FX, Dalhousie

There would be no inter-league intrigue for this provincial, but again it has the advantage of being the perfect little 4-team tournament. I would think this would draw well with all teams having a fan base in close proximity to any poential location, and it would be really unpredicatable.

P.E.I. (1)
CIS: UPEI

This would have the intrigue of a Soviet-era election. At least the Panthers would be competitive at the Canada Games, much moreso than PEI usually is.

Newfoundland (2)
Senior: Clarenville Caribous, Grand Falls-Windsor Cataracts

Until MUN decides to resurrect the Beothuks, or Sea-Hawks as they now would be, the cod-kissers would have to be represented by a senior team.

Yukon (1)
Senior: Whitehorse Huskies

This squad could be resurrected. They have always had trouble finding leagues up north.

N.W.T./Nunavut (0)
Senior: All-Star Team

"Hockey North" represents both NWT and Nunavut, so they would have to scrounge together a team from the men's leagues across both places. Doesn't sound good but no worse than the Canada Games have been for northern teams in the past.

CANADA GAMES

This is how the pools would look if they used the format as from 2015:

Pool A
1 Ontario
4 Quebec
5 Nova Scotia
8 New Brunswick

Pool B
2 Alberta
3 Manitoba
6 B.C.
7 Saskatchewan

Pool C
9 P.E.I.
10 Newfoundland
11 Yukon
12 N.W.T.

It's funny how the seedings worked out in having the east in one pool and the west in the other. However, if they had this format they may want to include Pool C teams "in the mix" so to speak. Then the pools would look like this:

Pool A
1 Ontario
6 B.C.
7 Saskatchewan
12 N.W.T.

Pool B
2 Alberta
5 Nova Scotia
8 New Brunswick
11 Yukon

Pool C
3 Manitoba
4 Quebec
9 P.E.I.
10 Newfoundland

Pity Yukon being in that potential "Pool of Death" with (possibly) Alberta, UNB, and SMU or Acadia.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Thanks to STUTOMMIES for this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2GSIzTvew3lMXE3UTZ3Ukl2RVE/edit?pli=1

They had a New Brunswick tournament to determine their rep. It was on January 6-7 in single knockout format. In the semi-finals Moncton beat UNB and STU beat Mount Allison. STU then beat Moncton in the final. The link makes it sound like a much anticipated event.

At the Games, STU lost their first 4 games before playing spoiler and beating Sask in their last game. Combined with the story about MUN, which tells us some provincial reps, we know that STU lost by a combined 26-3 against UBC, McMaster, MUN, and whoever represented the NWT. They beat Sask (who I assume was the U of S since Regina had yet to start a hockey program) 8-5. Also, this tells us that Laval (Quebec) rallied from a 4-1 deficit to beat St. Dunstan's (PEI) 6-4.

The big shock is that NWT got a win. They must have been thrilled.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
1967 records

Just for something to do, here is how the known and potential 1967 Canada Games participants fared in 1967 conference play:

|
TEAM
|
GP
|
W
|
L
|
.T.​
|
GF
|
GA
|
Pts
PEI​
|
St. Dunstan's​
|
12​
|
10​
|
1​
|
1​
|
61​
|
37​
|
ONT​
|
McMaster​
|
16​
|
7​
|
9​
|
0​
|
75​
|
93​
|
BC​
|
UBC​
|
15​
|
6​
|
9​
|
0​
|
63​
|
63​
|
QUE​
|
Laval​
|
16​
|
5​
|
9​
|
2​
|
52​
|
85​
|
NF​
|
Memorial​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?
NB​
|
St. Thomas​
|
13​
|
3​
|
10​
|
0​
|
36​
|
66​
|
SK*​
|
Saskatchewan​
|
16​
|
13​
|
3​
|
0​
|
78​
|
53​
|
MB*​
|
Manitoba​
|
16​
|
8​
|
8​
|
0​
|
71​
|
77​
|
AB*​
|
Alberta​
|
15​
|
12​
|
3​
|
0​
|
76​
|
39​
|
AB*​
|
Calgary​
|
16​
|
0​
|
16​
|
0​
|
41​
|
97​
|
NS*​
|
St. FX​
|
14​
|
13​
|
1​
|
0​
|
89​
|
33​
|
NS*​
|
Acadia​
|
14​
|
7​
|
7​
|
0​
|
54​
|
55​
|
NS*​
|
Dalhousie​
|
14​
|
3​
|
9​
|
2​
|
50​
|
78​
|
NWT​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?
YT​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​
|
?​

* denotes possible or probable provincial rep

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
SASKATCHEWAN (6)
CIS: Saskatchewan, Regina
ACAC: Briercrest
Senior: Rosetown Red Wings, Shellbrook Elks, Lloydminster Border Kings

This could be done on one weekend with two teams getting byes past the quarter-finals. Though the Mutts faltered last year they should be able to get through this collection. Altough a sudden-death final featuring Cats v Dogs would be quite a battle.

A small FYI, on the Senior front. First Lloydminster, made the switch to Hockey Alberta last year and a switch requires all teams to play a year of Senior AA before being eligible to play Senior AAA. However, this year the league they played in the Battle River Hockey League basically disappeared around them (this being their third league in three seasons, I have a feeling the Border Kings' management might be the issue) and saw the teams all jump to another league of Senior AA. The Bonnyville newspaper stated the Border Kings folded, however the Civic Centre's website shows practices for them. I have no idea what the story truly is, but regardless they are not a Saskatchewan team.

The Saskatchewan Hockey Association on the other hand lets teams rise and fall between divisions with ease. Last year, Shellbrook did not field a team in Senior AAA. I'm not sure where they landed for provincials, but it wasn't Senior AAA. It left Rosetown as the only Senior AAA team in Saskatchewan. However, I had heard this was likely because of the cost of going out to the Allan Cup in Newfoundland. I'm not sure off the top of my head where the Allan Cup is this year, but if it is out West, I suspect you'd see a couple more Senior AAA teams in Saskatchewan and possibly one from Hockey Northern Ontario that would be in the mix I believe for the SK/MB spot. When the Allan Cup was here in Lloydminster in 2012, I believe SEPT had to play a team from Kenora to get here.

Anyway, I think the Canada Games are meant to be for younger athletes. So I'm not entirely sure that they would let Junior aged players in, as it currently is U17 for Men's and U18 for Women's. When I was in High School, there were a handful of kids from my school who played on Team Saskatchewan at the Canada Games in various sports. I believe that is the age range they try and limit competitors to.

The Canada Games are the first (or second or even third depending on province) step towards the Olympics. I think the organizers try and make it so you go Canada Games --> Pan Am Games/Commonwealth Games/World University Games --> Olympics. So I am not sure that they would start letting University teams or Senior Men's teams represent their province, no more than they would let Major Junior or Junior A teams represent their province.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
A small FYI, on the Senior front. First Lloydminster, made the switch to Hockey Alberta last year and a switch requires all teams to play a year of Senior AA before being eligible to play Senior AAA. However, this year the league they played in the Battle River Hockey League basically disappeared around them (this being their third league in three seasons, I have a feeling the Border Kings' management might be the issue) and saw the teams all jump to another league of Senior AA. The Bonnyville newspaper stated the Border Kings folded, however the Civic Centre's website shows practices for them. I have no idea what the story truly is, but regardless they are not a Saskatchewan team.

The Saskatchewan Hockey Association on the other hand lets teams rise and fall between divisions with ease. Last year, Shellbrook did not field a team in Senior AAA. I'm not sure where they landed for provincials, but it wasn't Senior AAA. It left Rosetown as the only Senior AAA team in Saskatchewan. However, I had heard this was likely because of the cost of going out to the Allan Cup in Newfoundland. I'm not sure off the top of my head where the Allan Cup is this year, but if it is out West, I suspect you'd see a couple more Senior AAA teams in Saskatchewan and possibly one from Hockey Northern Ontario that would be in the mix I believe for the SK/MB spot. When the Allan Cup was here in Lloydminster in 2012, I believe SEPT had to play a team from Kenora to get here.

Anyway, I think the Canada Games are meant to be for younger athletes. So I'm not entirely sure that they would let Junior aged players in, as it currently is U17 for Men's and U18 for Women's. When I was in High School, there were a handful of kids from my school who played on Team Saskatchewan at the Canada Games in various sports. I believe that is the age range they try and limit competitors to.

The Canada Games are the first (or second or even third depending on province) step towards the Olympics. I think the organizers try and make it so you go Canada Games --> Pan Am Games/Commonwealth Games/World University Games --> Olympics. So I am not sure that they would start letting University teams or Senior Men's teams represent their province, no more than they would let Major Junior or Junior A teams represent their province.
The Senior AAA category only has actual leagues in Alberta and Ontario. Elsewhere the teams just try to get guys together for Allan Cup runs.

The Canada Games have moved to younger athletes. Men's hockey was minor midget last time. That's why the 1967 event us worth a look today.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The Senior AAA category only has actual leagues in Alberta and Ontario. Elsewhere the teams just try to get guys together for Allan Cup runs.

The Canada Games have moved to younger athletes. Men's hockey was minor midget last time. That's why the 1967 event us worth a look today.

Different provinces use different methods for Senior AAA. Alberta I believe requires you to actually play in the Chinook Hockey League for consideration and Saskatchewan requires you play in a SHA recognized league.

Anyway, my point was Rosetown was the sole Senior AAA team in Saskatchewan last season. Provincial play downs are exclusive of the league playoffs in Saskatchewan. Two seasons ago the Lloydminster Border Kings played in the Sask West Hockey League and were shelled in the Provincial Semi by Shellbrook, but lost in 5 (it was a Best of 5) to Kindersley in the SWHL Finals.

I know a few years ago Rosetown must have been shelling out decent money (don't think for a second Senior hockey players aren't paid at Senior AAA), as they poached three or four Huskies, including Canada West Rookie of the Year Steve DaSilva. That must have been a nice chunk of change since he passed up playing at the University Cup in Saskatoon, to play in the Allan Cup in Lloydminster.

If I remember right the Border Kings spent close to $1,000,000 on players that Allan Cup year and had guys jumping from the ECHL on to that team. I was told that will never, ever happen again, which is likely why they folded is lack of funds. I went to a few games last season I swear there was less than 100 people there and I am certain I am one of the few people in the crowd who didn't know any of the players. I guess senior hockey is more suited for small towns, not a City of 30,000 people like Lloydminster is.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There has been a big update on the 1967 tournament on Wikia.

LINK: http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/1967_Canada_Winter_Games_Hockey_Tournament

PROVINCIAL REPS

Alberta: Alberta Golden Bears
British Columbia: British Columbia Thunderbirds
Manitoba: Manitoba Bisons
New Brunswick: St. Thomas Tommies
Newfoundland: Memorial Beothuks
Nova Scotia: St. Francis Xavier X-Men
Ontario: McMaster Marauders
Prince Edward Island: St. Dunstan's Saints
Quebec: Laval Rouge et Or
Saskatchewan: Saskatchewan Huskies

STANDINGS

Section A GP W L T GF GA Pts
Alberta 5 4 1 0 43 16 8
Manitoba 5 3 1 1 27 26 7
Nova Scotia 5 2 1 2 27 21 6
Quebec 5 2 2 1 25 27 5
Prince Edward Island 5 2 3 0 27 22 4
Yukon 5 0 5 0 7 44 0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Section B GP W L T GF GA Pts
British Columbia 5 4 1 0 37 12 8
Ontario 5 4 1 0 40 21 8
Saskatchewan 5 3 2 0 27 15 6
Newfoundland 5 2 3 0 17 26 4
Northwest Territories 5 1 4 0 15 42 2
New Brunswick 5 1 4 0 11 31 2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PLAYOFFS

Gold Medal Game
Alberta 4 British Columbia 1

Bronze Medal Game
Ontario 10 Manitoba 8

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
No cross-overs after the pool games? Wow, that makes each pool game really important for the teams at the top. Ontario's loss to BC hurt them.

Yes. And Alberta lost their first game, to St. FX. But then St. FX only won one more game, against Yukon.

Also, Sask lost to STU to get knocked out of the medal games. It was STU's only win. They even lost to the NWT. Otherwise all four western teams would have been in the top four.

It would be a fabulous thing to watch. They played 5 games a day for 6 days in the round-robin, followed by the medal games. I would have watched hockey all day every day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad