Prospect Info: Aidan McDonough (will not sign this year; returning for senior year in NCAA)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Have you had a chance to scope this kid out so far? If so how's he looking?

Seems pretty good for a 7th round pick, still definitely not as good of a prospect as Madden/Gaudette at the same age though.

The fact that he's already managed to make his team's PP1 is probably saying a lot regarding how the coaches feel about him.

Haven't watched as much NorthEastern as I'd like, but I've been able to make a few early impressions of his play. Great shot, big and strong (he's only 6'3" but he looks like Brian Boyle half the time out there), knows where to go, but he doesn't really look capable of driving a line at all right now.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Correction: 9p in 10GP after a 3 point game last night. Not bad. Will probably need to stay around PPG to remain relevant as a prospect.
PPG as a freshman is very impressive. For NCAA prospects usually you look for that in the final year before going pro for a good indicator.

we’ve been spoiled by Brackett with talent

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
PPG as a freshman is very impressive. For NCAA prospects usually you look for that in the final year before going pro for a good indicator.

we’ve been spoiled by Brackett with talent

Like I mentioned in earlier post, he's the same age (20) as Madden who is an NCAA sophomore, so he's a year older (and often two years older) than the average freshman so you would have a bit higher expectations.

Keep in mind that even a guy like Gaudette, who scored 26 goals and 52 points in his 20 year old season might not be a big offensive producer in the NHL. But producing at lower levels, like the NCAA, is table stakes for having a chance to have a shot at being a pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Like I mentioned in earlier post, he's the same age (20) as Madden who is an NCAA sophomore, so he's a year older (and often two years older) than the average freshman so you would have a bit higher expectations.

Keep in mind that even a guy like Gaudette, who scored 26 goals and 52 points in his 20 year old season and might not be a big offensive producer in the NHL. But producing at lower levels, like the NCAA, is table stakes for having a chance to have a shot at being a pro.
Oh definitely, going forward it will be important. NCAA freshmen have always been shafted on minutes and opportunities though, so regardless of age I think its really impressive what he's doing (albeit however much Madden is helping him)

Reactions: timw33

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Interesting stuff but well over 80% of our 7th rounders didn't even ever have interesting minor league careers, probably more than that.

Dixon Ward (88) and Doug Lidster (80) are the best 7th rounders in Canuck history the 3rd best is.....Jason King and Brandon Reid....yikes.

McDonough was a damn fine pick. I don't know how Brackett does it. McDonough absolutely looks like the best 7th round pick the Canucks have made since the draft has been 7 rounds long.
Love his tools, and he seems to have that determination that successful prospects have. I see a bright future for him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the best 7th round pick we've made since 1980.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDonough was a line-mate of Madden at Northeastern, and really flew below the radar screen as a prospect this season. But hard to ignore what he did as a freshman in the NCAA.

A continuation for the Canucks and Bracket, who just seem to just sense which guys from the USHL are going to take the next step. Certainly their play in junior doesn't give much hint as to the type of players they're going to become when the graduate to the NCAA.

But obviously the Canucks see something in them, and are being rewarded. McDonough will be an interesting guy to monitor 'if' and 'when' NCAA hockey returns. Won't have Madden as his set-up man, particularly on the pp, but he may good enough on his own to carry a line. And it doesn't hurt that he's a childhood chum of Jack Rathbone.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
McDonough was a damn fine pick. I don't know how Brackett does it. McDonough absolutely looks like the best 7th round pick the Canucks have made since the draft has been 7 rounds long.
Love his tools, and he seems to have that determination that successful prospects have. I see a bright future for him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's the best 7th round pick we've made since 1980.

Hehehe. That first description, "the best 7th round pick the Canucks have made since the draft has been 7 rounds long" would require him to outlast Mario Bliznak, the only Canucks 7th rounder in the past 15 years to, so far, play an NHL game. After being drafted in the 7th round by the Canucks in 2005 (the season the draft was reduced to 7 rounds) he played three seasons for the Vancouver Giants, three mediocre seasons for the Manitoba Moose and got into 6 NHL games before returning to Europe.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is this the beginning of a new era for 7th round draft picks by the Canucks? McDonough and Arvid Costmar look like they might actually be able to play.

Seventh rounders from the past like Mackenze Stewart; Matt Brassard; Brett McKenzie; Miles Liberati; Matt Beattie; Tate Olson; and Henrik Tommernes; not so much.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Is this the beginning of a new era for 7th round draft picks by the Canucks? McDonough and Arvid Costmar look like they might actually be able to play.

Seventh rounders from the past like Mackenze Stewart; Matt Brassard; Brett McKenzie; Miles Liberati; Matt Beattie; Tate Olson; and Henrik Tommernes; not so much.
You could look at that list and say that at one point in time or another, there was some promise or reason for cautious optimism with Matt Brassard, Brett McKenzie and Tate Olson.

Off of the top of my head:

Tate Olson took a big step forward in his D+1 season...and then fizzled.

Brett McKenzie got off to a great start in his season after being drafted, and played a strong 2-way game...but then fizzled as well.

Brassard had good size and I believe he went through a really extended point scoring streak in his season after being drafted, showing some promise...but that was it for him too.

Yes, some of those picks mentioned above showed nothing at all, but I actually think the last few years we’ve seen some promise from most of them; we just need those guys to build upon that promise.

Matt Beattie actually seemed to me like a good player to roll the dice on in the 7th round.
Liberati was supposed to be a tremendous skater and I’d guess management was rolling the dice that if he finds another aspect to his game that he can develop, he could see some NHL time.

In general I’m all for gambling on a player in the real late rounds. The little midget Russian kid we drafted a couple seasons back...he sucks, and isn’t much of a prospect now, but I thought it was a great gamble with a late pick.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In general I’m all for gambling on a player in the real late rounds. The little midget Russian kid we drafted a couple seasons back...he sucks, and isn’t much of a prospect now, but I thought it was a great gamble with a late pick.

I agree with your overall post. Technically that Russian kid you were referring to was 6th round pick. Does he suck? I don't think it's a fair statement. He actually had 2 goals and 3 points in 7 games for one of the better KHL teams coming off hand surgery. Unfortunately he re-aggravated his hand injury.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I agree with your overall post. Technically that Russian kid you were referring to was 6th round pick. Does he suck? I don't think it's a fair statement. He actually had 2 goals and 3 points in 7 games for one of the better KHL teams coming off hand surgery. Unfortunately he re-aggravated his hand injury.
I’d actually agree about Manukyun (or whatever his name is)...but people love to argue here so I just said he sucks because I figured if I didn’t someone would throw his lack of production in my face.

He’s a obviously a real longshot at this point, but let’s see what happens when he gets a little more seasoned playing in the KHL, and is able to play while healthy.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Getting back to McDonough:

It’s hard to find info on the kid aside from stats...but I remember a couple of months ago when I was looking for info, I eventually found something on a forum where someone commented that he doesn’t get around the ice that well, and that’s a part of his game he will have to work on.

It will be interesting to see where his game goes next year when he’s not playing with Madden. A huge year for him upcoming. If he can keep his numbers about the same without Madden, that would be a great sign. Also, let’s see if he can put up more points 5v5.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
There were some articles on Madden that included stuff on McDonough, in the Athletic maybe.

From what I recall the impression I got TDLR: big, good physical game, great shot, good “hockey IQ” and can play with skilled players, average skater who may be able to improve, average skill. I don’t remember what was mentioned about his defensive game.

I think a lot will depend on his defensive game, if he can be responsible in his own end and help a line drive possession he could be a good support piece in the middle six if it works out and he is able to adapt. Kind of in the same mold as Josh Leivo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDonough's snipe from the left wing against Merrimack is up on Twitter and YouTube. Gets the shot away in a heartbeat from distance, with a lot of mustard on it. This kid already has an NHL shot.

If his skating catches up with his shooting and playmaking skills, the Canucks might really have something. Scoring wingers who stand 6'3" and 200 pounds don't grow on trees.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Man I love this prospect :yo:

You must wait at least 2 seconds before performing this action.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea if it was all on Brackett, the Canucks ability to draft seemingly nondescript players out of the USHL in later rounds of the draft, and have them blossom in NCAA hockey, has been absolutely uncanny.

I mean McDonough is a 6'3" 200 pound winger who seems to be on the Adam Gaudette path at Northeastern. Appears that he's worked religiously on his skating, and is a lot quicker to pucks and in on the forecheck.

It's almost certain the Canucks will sign him at some point, which means he'll have a pro career of some sort.....about all you can ask for from a 7th round draft pick.

It's just too bad that his center from last year with Northeastern, Tyler Madden, is no longer in the organization. They had the kind of bond that can work its way up through your organization. I just hope the Canucks don't end up trading McDonough to a team like the Kings at a future trade deadline.

Reactions: bh53 and Luckylarry

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army has the YouTube highlights up of McDonough's hat-trick against the University of New Hampshire. And only a miraculous save from the UNH netminder prevented him from registering a fourth.

All I can say is 'wow'. This kid already has a superior one-timer to three quarters of the guys currently playing for the Vancouver Canucks....it's absolutely lethal from the side boards, giving the goalie no chance to come across on the pp.

Hard not to be thrilled with the progression of this seventh rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad