Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
virtanen_091314_672.jpg

Continue

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
His form on the stick point is on point.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My only hope is that Canuck fans don't have reason to start weeping after he goes head-to-head with Nicolaj Ehlers at the prospects tourney:cry:

JA

Some new photographs from the NHLPA Rookie Showcase a few weeks ago. They've got the Getty Images watermark on them.

486326962-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

486326952-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

486326976-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

486326998-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

486326986-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

486326980-jake-virtanen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-gettyimages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Look more filled out than the draft, meaning looks like he put a bit more muscle on, and got a bit bulkier....pads withstanding.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Look more filled out than the draft, meaning looks like he put a bit more muscle on, and got a bit bulkier....pads withstanding.

do you remember seeing him pulling the bus with the prospects? He looked bulky there but not in a good way. He looks lean and mean now i'm excited to see how much more speed he's going to have after getting himself into top shape

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

It's hard to gain muscle with your arm in a sling. But ya. Looks like size and strength won't be a problem with this prospect.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Gaunce
Cassels
Horvat
McCann
Virtanen
Boeser

Hard to describe this but all of these guys are legit cool people. Like have u hear about hall and rnh they must be dorky dweebs who never really bonded together it was always running into the oilers one by one

Our core prospects are all entering the team and embracing camps together. And their personality is just amazing. The fact benning has kept cassels gaunce and horvat goes to show he knows they have the character to nuture each other.

May be getting carried away. But i see our team actually being friends with each other. Rather than co workers like other teams

dav1nc1

Feb 15, 2014
Gaunce
Cassels
Horvat
McCann
Virtanen
Boeser

Hard to describe this but all of these guys are legit cool people. Like have u hear about hall and rnh they must be dorky dweebs who never really bonded together it was always running into the oilers one by one

Our core prospects are all entering the team and embracing camps together. And their personality is just amazing. The fact benning has kept cassels gaunce and horvat goes to show he knows they have the character to nuture each other.

May be getting carried away. But i see our team actually being friends with each other. Rather than co workers like other teams

Coming from multiple sources from people that know him. Virtanen's a weirdo

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Still a mystery as to why he only averaged 17 minutes a game last year when the year before he played around 20 minutes a game. His PP60 (points per 60 minutes) actually improved by 22%... The only player younger than him that scored a better PP60 in the WHL was wonder-kid Nolan Patrick. Whether it was nagging shoulder issues, poor performance or attitude or something else, we didn't get a full picture on what happened with Jake last year. More CHL stat tracking would help.

Personally, although it's a terrible sign to not be the go-to option on your WHL team after being picked 6th overall, I'm willing to give Jake some time before saying we should have drafted someone else.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Still a mystery as to why he only averaged 17 minutes a game last year when the year before he played around 20 minutes a game. His PP60 (points per 60 minutes) actually improved by 22%... The only player younger than him that scored a better PP60 in the WHL was wonder-kid Nolan Patrick. Whether it was nagging shoulder issues, poor performance or attitude or something else, we didn't get a full picture on what happened with Jake last year. More CHL stat tracking would help.

Personally, although it's a terrible sign to not be the go-to option on your WHL team after being picked 6th overall, I'm willing to give Jake some time before saying we should have drafted someone else.

Not sure why people put stock into eTOI. Those numbers are extremely flawed.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Can Jake Virtanen duplicate the success of Bo Horvat's 2014/2015 campaign?

Can Jake Virtanen duplicate the success of Bo Horvat's 2014/2015 campaign?

Obviously, what Horvat did last season is not very common, but do you guys think Virtanen has a legit chance of doing the same thing?

If I was WD, here is how I would role out the lines:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Prust-Vey-Dorsett (I'm hoping that one of Gaunce or Cassels can beat out Vey).

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Corrado
Sbisa-Weber

Miller
Markstrom

I think the Sedin line will continue to be a solid 1st line, while the Sutter and Prust/Dorsett line will be extremely good shut down lines (with Sutter's line having the ability to chip in offensively on semi-regular occasion).

That leaves Horvat's line to be the wildcard line. Maybe it's just me, but I think Horvat and Baertschi will play well above expectations this year and may even supplant Sutter's line as the team's official 2nd line. The question that I have, is if Virtanen can get good enough to a point where he can ride shotgun with Horvat/Baertschi (two guys who I think will take a significant leap).

WhoseLainesItAnyway

Sep 20, 2014
Statistically, Virtanen has the possibility to have a better rookie season than Horvat.

Virtanen's skating is much better than Horvat, in fact he might be the fastest on the team. He'll also be developed as an offensive winger rather than a defensive center meaning he'll see better offensive opportunities - likely some irregular shifts with the Sedins and PP time as well.

Even if he doesn't score much, though, as long as he hits and isn't a liability I want him in the NHL learning the pro game. Not in the dub trying dangle around 16 year olds with end-to-end rushes over and over or trying to play a team game without any capable teammates.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Statistically, Virtanen has the possibility to have a better rookie season than Horvat.

Virtanen's skating is much better than Horvat, in fact he might be the fastest on the team. He'll also be developed as an offensive winger rather than a defensive center meaning he'll see better offensive opportunities - likely some irregular shifts with the Sedins and PP time as well.

Even if he doesn't score much, though, as long as he hits and isn't a liability I want him in the NHL learning the pro game. Not in the dub trying dangle around 16 year olds with end-to-end rushes over and over or trying to play a team game without any capable teammates.

Horvat's skating improved by a ridiculous amount last season. I thought the weakest part of his game was supposed to be skating, but at the end of the year and in the playoffs he had end to end rushes blowing past players. I'm not sure if he improved or was misreported, but wow. Virtanen is obviously the better skater, but from what I had he has all the tools but has terrible vision. Horvat is a much smarter player than Virtanen, and I think smart players are more likely to make an early impact in the NHL, like Tanev. Power forwards on the other hand take years to develop.

arsmaster*

He doesn't PK (which he did a bit in his draft year and his 16 year old season).

Although I don't really like the ETOI data and don't trust it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Jake has all the makings of a nice top 6 complementary player. I don't think he's ever gonna be a go to guy. His play in Calgary and World juniors is evidence to this and I don't think it's really that alarming.

His skating, shot, size and strength should make him an excellent piece of a 1st or 2nd line IMO.

Thinking Brown, Kreider, E.Cole or a J.Carter as a winger with physicality if all goes really good.

The above picks and summer evaluation camp are reasons to get excited about this coming season for Jake. Looks a ready to some damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad