1937 Instructional Film Featuring The Bruins

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Cool! Hard to believe the Bruins have been around so long. I hope in 80 years people are still watching clips of Chara, Bergeron, Marchand et al.

Art Ross looked like he was reading off giant cue cards at the beginning :laugh:

And we think the ice is bad now, look at all the ruts and snow :eek:

Thanks for sharing! :)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Awesome find!

If only my head was able to absorb all the informations.

We are talking about the year 1937 here, only a year before Frank Brimsek era. And i am reading, that Montreal Maroons requested a relocation to St. Louis. It was rejected but just imagine the idea of a team going down south to St. Louis at the time, NHL team, unimaginable in the original 6 era.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If only my head was able to absorb all the informations.

We are talking about the year 1937 here, only a year before Frank Brimsek era. And i am reading, that Montreal Maroons requested a relocation to St. Louis. It was rejected but just imagine the idea of a team going down south to St. Louis at the time, NHL team, unimaginable in the original 6 era.
St. Louis Eagles - Wikipedia

It did happen for a year in 1934. Travel costs basically killed them, which is why the Maroons' proposal was dismissed.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
St. Louis Eagles - Wikipedia

It did happen for a year in 1934. Travel costs basically killed them, which is why the Maroons' proposal was dismissed.

Didn't know that!

''In their first game the Eagles succumbed to a late rally by the defending Stanley Cup champion Black Hawks, losing 3–1.''

The rivalry started in the 34 already. I find it very interesting that they wanted to start a franchise so south at the time.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

The great depression, makes sense.

Interesting fact: owners of the Maroons actually bought the Canadiens and it was later expected they will fold them, since Maroons just won the Stanley in 1935 and it became clear that Montreal can not sustain two teams. None other than Conn Smythe, Maple Leafs owner, led the movement inside the NHL to preserve the Canadiens and the Maroons will eventually fold later in 1938.

Great read, thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Like I said I've never seen even a 2 second clip of Bill Cowley before, and, even though this is just a demonstration, he looks pretty good at 3:27. Few realize that this guy was the all-time points leader in the NHL when he retired? With better skates and better training and conditioning we could use him on the 2nd or 3rd line today?

Shore takes out a leg at 10:00 in a real game. By all accounts he was a reckless, merciless S.O.B. ;)

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Like I said I've never seen even a 2 second clip of Bill Cowley before, and, even though this is just a demonstration, he looks pretty good at 3:27. Few realize that this guy was the all-time points leader in the NHL when he retired? With better skates and better training and conditioning we could use him on the 2nd or 3rd line today?

Shore takes out a leg at 10:00 in a real game. By all accounts he was a reckless, merciless S.O.B. ;)

Another big name in the Bruins history. And he played for St. Louis Eagles, franchise we were talking about yesterday here.

The only NHL players who have scored more points per game in a season than Cowley's 1.97 in 1944 are Joe Malone, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

I wish there were more highlight videos around to this day, some of those goals were surely masterpieces.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Another big name in the Bruins history. And he played for St. Louis Eagles, franchise we were talking about yesterday here.

The only NHL players who have scored more points per game in a season than Cowley's 1.97 in 1944 are Joe Malone, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

I wish there were more highlight videos around to this day, some of those goals were surely masterpieces.

Too bad Milt was not featured in this? (he may be in one of the team shots, I didn't notice?) It was his first or second year so maybe they only trusted the veterans to make those slow motion passes? :laugh:

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
This is amazing. It's so interesting to see the evolution of the game yet so many fundamentals remain the same.

Goaltending definitely has changed a lot. It appears goalies needed to be much more skilled with handling the puck 80 years ago.

Reactions: PlayMakers

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
This is amazing. It's so interesting to see the evolution of the game yet so many fundamentals remain the same.

Goaltending definitely has changed a lot. It appears goalies needed to be much more skilled with handling the puck 80 years ago.
That jumped out at me as well.

It was definitely a much more active position than it is now. No 6'2"+ guys with massive pads just going into the butterfly.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Amazing.

Reminds me a lot of hurling. Especially the goaltender batting pucks out of the air for clears. Crazy to see them in “the proper stance” with their arms hanging down by their ankles. Goalies really looked like skaters with some heavier shin pads. The one clip even shows the goalie stick and long before he passes it off.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Too bad Milt was not featured in this? (he may be in one of the team shots, I didn't notice?) It was his first or second year so maybe they only trusted the veterans to make those slow motion passes? :laugh:

Milt is very likely in the video as one of the dark sweater players.
I say this because Bun Cook took a penalty shot as a dark sweater player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad