Prospect Info: #191 Travis Barron, LW

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Outside of Jost and Morrison, this is probably my favorite pick of the draft. Seems like there is a bunch of untapped potential for Barron. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a solid year next season for the 67s.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Outside of Jost and Morrison, this is probably my favorite pick of the draft. Seems like there is a bunch of untapped potential for Barron. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a solid year next season for the 67s.

Much agreed, he does sound like a very Julien Nantel type of player (all situtations) who has more potential than what he has shown this year when he's given more minutes.

Kids with strong character (which sounds like Barron has) are ones that have mental toughness and possess the personality that through hard work and dedication, his offensive production can and will get better.

Brock's report,
38. Travis Barron - Forward - Ottawa 67's
Hard nosed winger who operates as a complimentary player on a scoring line for the 67's. The 3rd overall pick from 2014, Barron's offensive skill set definitely hasn't translated as well to the OHL as many anticipated it would. In particular, his shot, which was considered a weapon in minor midget, hasn't progressed to the point where it could be considered a weapon at the OHL level. While he operates exceptionally well away from the puck to create space for his linemates and win battles along the boards, with the puck, he's just not nearly as effective. For as hard as he works away from the puck, he seems to struggle with getting himself in solid scoring position and reading offensive situations. It certainly makes me wonder about his overall offensive potential at the next level. Will he ever be more than a solid two-way winger who engages physically and provides leadership? Even a guy like Daniel Paille showed more in his NHL draft year. Still lots of time for him to figure things out though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Would've preferred a higher upside selection. Don't have views to back that disappointment up but why not swing for someone with more offensive ability?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The highlights looked pretty sweet. Doesn't show much of his skating or defensive awareness but he's got at least a little bit of killer instinct in him offensively.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Looks like he will be a future role player in the NHL if he makes it. Good to have guys like him and Nantel in the system, cheap homegrown depth is what good teams have in spades

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think this will be the best value-pick of this draft for us.

Even if he tops out as a call up/AHL staple, he just feels like a kid that is going to make a pro-career out of his opportunity

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
So, why did he fall?

Sounds like a really promising prospect, will a pretty high floor.

Honestly it feels like he was just one of those guys that slipped through the cracks a bit and we lucky enough to realize that he was still available.

I'm sure this happens every draft. Even though no one will ever admit this. You've got tons of moving parts and picks are being made quickly, it probably happens more than we can imagine.

Probably should have gone by the 5th.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
My favorite kind of late round pick, a CHL guy that kinda fell through the cracks. I think I'm going to enjoy watching him. as a former high pick there's talent there, it's just gotta come together. Good hands and shot in those highlights.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Really quite high on this pick as well.

And I disagree with the idea that his ceiling isn't very high. I've ready a few different reports about him and they all say he has a fairly solid shot at becoming a middle 6 forward capable of shutting down other teams on a 3rd line or playing more offensively in a 2nd line role.

I think that's actually a really solid ceiling for a 7th round pick, and it also sounds like the floor for this guy is at least that of a really good AHLer or 13th NHL forward type.

I think that's great for a 7th round pick. Those picks are usually complete shot in the dark where you have no idea what kind of player you'll get, but this actually seems like a good pick with a guy who has a definitive trajectory that he is more then capable of reaching.

I'm definitely excited to see how he develops and especially next season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
Red Line Report on Travis Barron:

96. Travis Barron – Ottawa LW

Big, rugged, rawboned winger shows excellent strength and will only get stronger. Thrives on the physical aspect of the game. His style is better suited for the pro game. He’s a hard-nosed player who makes his living going to the dirty areas. Always involved, finishes all his checks, and is active on the rush. Has soft hands for controlling hard passes in tight on the fly. Powerful stride with balance; strong on skates and hard to move off the puck. Drives hard to the crease without puck and establishes net-front presence. Not surprisingly, he excels along the boards and around corners. Not the most instinctive player at offensive end and lacks finisher’s touch – points will come from hard work. A coach’s dream who does all the little things right. Plays as hard in his own zone as at offensive end. Known to be a natural leader in the dressing room.

Projection: Rugged, chippy bottom six role player.

Style compares to: Travis Moen (the young version)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad