Prospect Info: #19 OA - C/W Evgeny Svechnikov, QMJHL

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Great player. I never thought in a million years that we would spend a first on a Russian, but it is awesome to see the brass get out of their comfort zone. You can do a ton worse than big and skilled.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Best quote: "Scouts seem to believe that his time in North America is already paying off, as his defensive work seemed to improve during the second half of the 2014-15 season"

I'm glad to see he excelled at center, and because of that, he improved his defensive game. No questions about his work ethic!

Plus there is a zero Russian factor as he WANTS to play in North America which is why he left Russia. I like this kid!

I don't like it when we act like we're smarter than everyone else. Craig Button had him ranked as a #1 scoring winger and a comparable to Max Pacioretty. We can certainly use an elite scoring winger, particularly one with size. My concern is we bury him in Cape Breton and Grand Rapids trying to turn him into a two-way center.

We have a ton of two-way centers with questionable offensive skill.

Reactions: 14ari13

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't like it when we act like we're smarter than everyone else. Craig Button had him ranked as a #1 scoring winger and a comparable to Max Pacioretty. We can certainly use an elite scoring winger, particularly one with size. My concern is we bury him in Cape Breton and Grand Rapids trying to turn him into a two-way center.

would rather try to turn him into two way center than scoring winger.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
"He's the full package," Wright said. "He got hampered a little bit this year by an ankle injury, but he's got really good hockey sense, he competes really hard. He's just an impressive kid. He was the only Russian kid that came into the combine this year that didn't bring in an interpreter. Didn't know one word of English before coming into this year, he's fluent in English."
Nice. That's the kind of thing that makes you think he doesn't have a "Russian factor".

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Love the pick, reminds me of Kuznetsov in style. Think Svech can definitely make transition to center. Larkin-Svech 1-2 punch down the middle could be pretty awesome.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

We're looking at Tatar, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou, and Bertuzzi as our future top 9 wingers so Svech would probably be better utilized at center where there isn't much behind Larkin. Sheahan should still be around but seems better used as a 3C imo. Holmstrom is a wild card, remains to be seen if he can improve his skating enough to play center in NHL, should be solid winger if not though.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Whew some potential lines are pretty exciting with Svechnikov involved. If he's a C:
Nyquist-Larkin-Mantha
Tatar-Svechnikov-Jurco
AA-Sheahan-Pulkks

And that's ignoring guys like Bertuzzi or Holmstrom plus any future acquisitions and current players. Definitely less pretty if he's a LW though:
Svech-Larkin-Mantha
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Jurco-AA (if he can handle C)-Pulkks

Still this pick has me excited. He seems to have such good qualities and a real top line forward that we can build with as part of our core. Now the awesome top nine doesn't do much without some sort of defense behind them...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's pretty funny when you read fans of other teams say, nearly every year, "Of course it's the Wings that pick him..."

I saw this with Jurco, Mantha, Larkin, and now Svechnikov.

Obviously we don't know how all of them pan out, but it says something about how the Wings target high skill players that remain in the early rounds. And... no longer are the high end skill players in the pipeline undersized. The Red Wings of the future may not be the next coming of generational talents, but with their size and skill, you could have a very exiting forward group being groomed.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It's pretty funny when you read fans of other teams say, nearly every year, "Of course it's the Wings that pick him..."

I saw this with Jurco, Mantha, Larkin, and now Svechnikov.

Obviously we don't know how all of them pan out, but it says something about how the Wings target high skill players that remain in the early rounds. And... no longer are the high end skill players in the pipeline undersized. The Red Wings of the future may not be the next coming of generational talents, but with their size and skill, you could have a very exiting forward group being groomed.

Jurco? Seriously? If they say that about Jurco then Im shocked they dont say that about anyone. He was just a youtube kid mostly

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Jurco? Seriously? If they say that about Jurco then Im shocked they dont say that about anyone. He was just a youtube kid mostly

I don't think that's fair to Jurco, let's not forget he's one of the youngest full-time Wings in a while. He's shown flashes of high-end skill but was asked to play a different role last season. He had a good end to the season in 2013-2014.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site

They definitely said that about Jurco because he was still considered a late first rounder by most and we traded back and got him in the second. Plus we got Oulette and Sproul in the same round and there was a lot about them too. I also remember Toronto fans were pissed we took Hudler with our first pick which was in the second round because they'd passed on him twice.

Then again, they said the same thing about Frk...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->