Post-Game Talk: 19 games left

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
CE313FD9-9E1D-40A7-BC7C-B3A509AF26D5.jpeg

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
People need to stop doing this. No player is 110% balls to the wall every night. Not Crosby, not Ovechkin, not Gretzky, not Lemieux.

When one team especially rides one player that hard and you have a player that doesn't have a ton of help around him, nights like this will happen.

Matthews didn't look too tuned into the game either ... difference is his team is much, much better.
However, McDavid just had the last 2 games off due to his suspension. If anything, he should have been flying out there. His work habits are not consistent. I think Hitch has made reference to players trying to get by on skill. I think 97 gets included in this comment.

Reactions: Staghorn

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Rieder had a good game. I am not saying extend his contract or anything, just saying that he was dangerous throughout the whole match.

Unfortunately his compete level is not always as good as vs Toronto.

Dangerous and zero-goals-Rieder, unfortunately, should never appear in the same sentence.

Reactions: MikeYEG

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The going down when it's not needed is really annoying in Mikko's game.use that big frame man.

Ermmm.... as a goalie this fails the logic test.

The fact that he HAS the big frame means that he SHOULD go down. Short goalies are the ones that need to compensate with better skating, reflexes and staying up a little longer. (you still appropriately go down on 90% of saves... you just stay upright longer so that the player can't see the open space above your shoulders)

What Kosko needs to do... if you want to be critical, is get out further off his goal line before going down. Once he does that anything over his shoulders is over the bar... angles man, angles. Size is no substitute for good positioning (but it definitely substitutes for reflexes and "staying up").

Reactions: Little Fury

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Well really though,

Did anyone expect anything other than this. They have these players that are like good. They play on the sides of their centres. Interesting concept.

Side note I’d love to have even Johnsson, Kapanen, Marleau or even Tyler Ennis. Say what you want about the fan base but the leafs are are a solid deep team. Only players I wouldn’t want are Zaitsev (just based on contract and we have our own in Nurse) and Garidner because I think he’s awful
The funny thing is that both Johnsson and Kapanen are RFAs (non-arb) this off-season, and with Marner in lone for a big pay raise eating up most of the Leaf’s cap space the Oilers might be able to make a trade there work or even possibly pull an offersheet. Marleau has a full NMC in the last year of his contract though, so I doubt he would be willing to leave a contending Toronto to go to a rebuilding Edmonton. Ennis might be had for fairly cheap as he will be a UFA this summer.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Someone needs to teach the sportsnet panel math. I get they really push the Mcdavid wants out angle but what was with the its the 5th year of Mcdavid and they suck.

Was he not drafted June 2015 and its now March 2019. Is this not the first year non ELC, are ELCs three years still or did that change?

Like if one analyst said it whatever but they were peddling that crap all broadcast

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
However, McDavid just had the last 2 games off due to his suspension. If anything, he should have been flying out there. His work habits are not consistent. I think Hitch has made reference to players trying to get by on skill. I think 97 gets included in this comment.

Hockey doesn't magically work like that.

Just because theres a suspension doesn't mean you're automatically guaranteed a great game.

Crosby is not asked to do this and he is quiet in plenty of games.

It's only an ask on McDavid because his team sucks so bad that he can't ever have a sub par game or its basically an auto loss.

Which is impossible for hockey. Basketball is the sport you want if that's how you think reality works and even there Durant, Curry, Lebron etc. have poor games now and again.

Matthews was a ghost last night, Marner was good but hes been quiet for a week. The Leafs can do that because they are an actual well built hockey team.

Reactions: MikeYEG

MikeYEG

Feb 7, 2019
C'mon, don't be ridiculous, give McDavid a break. As if he was our problem, some fans... Now they can't pile on Drai being lazy they change their target to Connor. We have a million problem, and they both are absolutely nowhere to be found in that list.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Because he's on pace to shatter 40 pts and more than any of the D on this team have ever had.

Because he has twice as many pts as any other D on this team.

Because he's the only D on this team that can move the puck around with confidence offensively.

You ask this in the same game that Klefbom was once again a Klutz offensively (and bad defensively as well) and who couldn't finish with all kinds of time on a wide open net. First Klef dusts the puck off, taking time, then he shoves a harmless shot into goalies pads because he allowed the goalie time to recover. he then can't even stuff the rebound. I think he had 3 cracks at it.

Heres another interesting thing. Darnell has 22EV pts this season. Klef has 11, all ****ing year, only 11pts.

People wonder why the younger Nurse is getting first unit PP now? The PP heating up coincided with him being inserted there.

Sekera?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Oh my god... that story is ****ing hilarious :laugh:

Back in my younger crazier days I woke up at some chick's place and it was up in a loft type room. I climbed down and was dying to pee but couldn't find the bathroom anywhere so I pissed in her kitchen sink. Glad nobody caught me or found out.

Reactions: super6646

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad