Post-Game Talk: 19 games left

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
Rieder had a good game. I am not saying extend his contract or anything, just saying that he was dangerous throughout the whole match.

Unfortunately his compete level is not always as good as vs Toronto.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Rieder had a good game. I am not saying extend his contract or anything, just saying that he was dangerous throughout the whole match.

Unfortunately his compete level is not always as good as vs Toronto.

Oilers: Draisaitl goes end to end for 1 goal. 4 players with points (you know 3 of them without checking). Toby Rieder is a bright spot with 0 points.
Leafs: Marner had a 3 point night, 4 players w/ 2 points, 7 other players with an assist. Total 12 players with points. Andersen played great making 34 stops on 36 shots.

All NHL forwards ordered by G ascending, GP descending.

NameAgePosGPGAPPIM+/-
Tobias Rieder25F49011118-4
Valeri Nichushkin23F440770-5
Gabriel Bourque28F400558-2
Juho Lammikko22F400666-7
Tom Pyatt31F370222-16
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am sad. :(

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
He’s not the solution to anything either. We need players who can create some plays. RNH is a decent finisher, but he has no creativity at all. If I’m GM I’m dangling RNH hard in the run up to the draft.

I would say that will be happening for sure. I can actually see RNH as a package to entice someone to take Lucic. If those 2 are moved ( and a pick probably), there is lots of money freed up. Going into Free Agency with lots of money to spend is what we need to clean up this mess that Chia and the OBC have made. Fish rotting at the wharf don’t smell this bad

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Even Mcdavid looks like trash lately .totally lost interest .I'm gonna put that on Hitchcock. I get the sense the players do not like this type of coach

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Leafs made the healthy Oilers defense look AHL level. It’s hilarious that we are two seasons removed from the playoffs and not a single upgrade was made to the back end.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah you know who played a worse game? That goalie named Koskinen who you believe is a #1 goalie :help::help:
2 of those goalies he allowed? He can't even protect or stop shots from bad angles? That's not a starting or a backup goalie
I think Koskinen is a number 1 goalie? I didn’t know I thought that. Thanks for bringing up a completely irrelevant and made up point.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
The going down when it's not needed is really annoying in Mikko's game.use that big frame man.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
That’s not all on Nuge. McDavid has been as bad defefensively as anybody on the club for the last month, at least.
Yes, he has. Where is Spector or Hitch going of about that? Like they did with Draisaitl. Again double standards. Why are some players subject to accountability, and not others? Mclellan did the same thing, SPECIFICALLY going at Drai "skating only for himself". Why only the one player on this team being targeted for derision whenever he plays a bad game. When has Lucic even received negative commentary from the coaching staff? I'm starting to think Drai gets it all because the coaching staff know he will take it.

Also going back years ago Drai and Hall were flat out vilified on this board for taking it easy down the stretch, pulling the parachute, in the meaningless last 25 games of a season. Hall received so much scrutiny it culminated in being traded and with suggestions he was a cancer.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Why is Nurse still on the teams 1st pp....his telescopes his passes and doesn’t have the offensive instincts to make plays happen :((

Because he's on pace to shatter 40 pts and more than any of the D on this team have ever had.

Because he has twice as many pts as any other D on this team.

Because he's the only D on this team that can move the puck around with confidence offensively.

You ask this in the same game that Klefbom was once again a Klutz offensively (and bad defensively as well) and who couldn't finish with all kinds of time on a wide open net. First Klef dusts the puck off, taking time, then he shoves a harmless shot into goalies pads because he allowed the goalie time to recover. he then can't even stuff the rebound. I think he had 3 cracks at it.

Heres another interesting thing. Darnell has 22EV pts this season. Klef has 11, all f***ing year, only 11pts.

People wonder why the younger Nurse is getting first unit PP now? The PP heating up coincided with him being inserted there.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Leafs play 10-20 minutes of a game (and they do this regularly) and win. Oilers can't take 5 minutes off otherwise they lose. Piece of garbage game last night.

What was up with McDavid yesterday? If someone told me he was still suspended yesterday I wouldn't have thought any different. Not used to him being "ordinary" since he's not.

Watched with a leaf buddy. I was upset they counted that Nuge goal and really upset to see Kassian cheer (WTF?!). Buddy says oh they prob saw the score and just counted it. NO! This is why it's a garage league. Stick to the G! D! rules! If it's goalie interference, it's goalie interference. PERIOD! Really hating this league and it's stupidity. If it's a 2-2 game at that point, the goal is waived off more than likely. Pure trash.

I also highly doubt the leafs get past the bruins int he first round again this year. And then they are screwed in the summer when the offer sheets start rolling in. They are going to lose a lot of players. I would target Johnsson (sp) and Kapanen as they won't cost as much.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, he has. Where is Spector or Hitch going of about that? Like they did with Draisaitl. Again double standards. Why are some players subject to accountability, and not others? Mclellan did the same thing, SPECIFICALLY going at Drai "skating only for himself". Why only the one player on this team being targeted for derision whenever he plays a bad game. When has Lucic even received negative commentary from the coaching staff? I'm starting to think Drai gets it all because the coaching staff know he will take it.

Also going back years ago Drai and Hall were flat out vilified on this board for taking it easy down the stretch, pulling the parachute, in the meaningless last 25 games of a season. Hall received so much scrutiny it culminated in being traded and with suggestions he was a cancer.
It seems nobody wants to open the can of worms that is criticizing McDavid for anything. The culture thread was enough of a headache.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
He’s not the solution to anything either. We need players who can create some plays. RNH is a decent finisher, but he has no creativity at all. If I’m GM I’m dangling RNH hard in the run up to the draft.

But what do you trade him for? We need scoring wingers, a 3C, and top-pairing d-men.

Trading him opens up another hole...

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
So, I leave my office, the elevator immediately gets stuck for 45 minutes, and the entire time I need to use the washroom. Decide that it's probably best to not use an elevator to get back up to my floor in my building as I'm about to **** my pants. Everything kind of settles down, so I go to the train to take it the few stops back to my place as I'm sure I can hold it.

Anddd, yep, the train breaks down in the middle of stops and I'm unable to get off to handle my business. That takes about 25 minutes to sort out, and by the time I get off at my destination, I'm basically holding my ass cheeks together to make it home. Takes about 10 minutes to get home, and it's a struggle the whole way. I get home, drop my keys several times in the panic but finally get into my apartment to find my girlfriend, who has told me that our toilet is broken. I decide the best bet is to use the sink, cause I just have to go. It happens, not happy about it but it happens. I decide to turn on the light to see the damage, but accidentally hit the garb-orator switch that's beside it and it shoots out everywhere, in my mouth, eyes, on the floor, and stove - everywhere.

Anyways, none of this actually happened. It just sounds like a vacation compared to watching the Oilers play anymore.

Oh my god... that story is f***ing hilarious :laugh:

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Because he's on pace to shatter 40 pts and more than any of the D on this team have ever had.

Because he has twice as many pts as any other D on this team.

Because he's the only D on this team that can move the puck around with confidence offensively.

You ask this in the same game that Klefbom was once again a Klutz offensively (and bad defensively as well) and who couldn't finish with all kinds of time on a wide open net. First Klef dusts the puck off, taking time, then he shoves a harmless shot into goalies pads because he allowed the goalie time to recover. he then can't even stuff the rebound. I think he had 3 cracks at it.

Heres another interesting thing. Darnell has 22EV pts this season. Klef has 11, all ****ing year, only 11pts.

People wonder why the younger Nurse is getting first unit PP now? The PP heating up coincided with him being inserted there.

Nurse handled his increased minutes surprisingly well when Klef was out. I think he has fantastic ability to carry up the puck - he's a really smooth skater. He's got a mean streak in him too.

However, we don't need to throw Klef under the bus - he's coming off 20+ games of injury, and likely injured his hand again last game. He's probably playing in pain... Having said that, yesterday's game was the worst I've ever seen Klef play - it was really hard to watch him and Larsson.

Muzzin would have been so nice for our team...

Reactions: Drivesaitl

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Interference isn't called against McDavid. The rest of the league would've caught on by now, so it's open season for doing things against McDavid that would be called penalties if it were any other star player.

I wonder what kind of hell would be raised if it were Matthews.

I liked when the panel tried to point out the great job the Leafs did in containing 97 and then basically ran a highlight reel of non-calls......even Brian Burke said they missed the calls.

Anytime 97 has a quiet night it is because the refs allow interference. You can see it developing within the first 5 mins of a game.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
So, I leave my office, the elevator immediately gets stuck for 45 minutes, and the entire time I need to use the washroom. Decide that it's probably best to not use an elevator to get back up to my floor in my building as I'm about to **** my pants. Everything kind of settles down, so I go to the train to take it the few stops back to my place as I'm sure I can hold it.

Anddd, yep, the train breaks down in the middle of stops and I'm unable to get off to handle my business. That takes about 25 minutes to sort out, and by the time I get off at my destination, I'm basically holding my ass cheeks together to make it home. Takes about 10 minutes to get home, and it's a struggle the whole way. I get home, drop my keys several times in the panic but finally get into my apartment to find my girlfriend, who has told me that our toilet is broken. I decide the best bet is to use the sink, cause I just have to go. It happens, not happy about it but it happens. I decide to turn on the light to see the damage, but accidentally hit the garb-orator switch that's beside it and it shoots out everywhere, in my mouth, eyes, on the floor, and stove - everywhere.

Anyways, none of this actually happened. It just sounds like a vacation compared to watching the Oilers play anymore.

XD HAHA

This is post of the year.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just dont think theres much point in singling out specific players based on a game like this.

Over the course of the season, its just easy to see that this team just lacks depth and legitimate players. We have top 6 forwards in McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH and nothing else much. Kassian, Khaira, Gagner and maybe Rieder (poor offensively this year but he can skate and pk) are probably suitable fourth line players. We have nothing in between. This team is lacking 5-6 legitimate forwards. Maybe some of those forwards can be found in the AHL but the coaching staff (both McLellan and Hitchcock) havent shown much ability to get either anyone else or give anyone else much of an opportunity.

I think the forward situation is much clearer on this team than the defense.

On paper our defense isnt too bad when its healthy. Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, and Russell are all legitimate NHL players. I'll be honest, I havent watched a ton of oilers games lately but from what I have read Sekera, has looked decent coming back. Not really sure what you do with this group. Like I said I believe we have some legitimate defenders but they all struggle (besides maybe Klefbom and Sekera was good when he could skate) at transitioning the puck out of their zone. But then maybe its more just the fact that the majority of the wingers arent good enough to take a pass or get in a good position to take a puck from the defense. I dont know. Or maybe its a coaching issue. I think the next GM really has to look at this group of players and come up with a solid analysis on what needs to be fixed. I dont think blowing it up is a good solution but making a poor decision on the personnel will set this team back even further.

I would probably try and move out Sekera and Russell this offseason (while they still hopefully have value - I think Russell would, I dont know about Sekera based on his injury history and contract). I think I would move forward with Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse but in all honesty I dont know. Klefbom gets injured. Larsson hasnt been himself for awhile. Nurse makes some questionable plays.

I like Koskinen but I dont like the contract. The next GM is going to have his hands full. We obviously have some really good pieces here but man do we ever need some more solid depth players as well as a couple more dynamic players.

Reactions: RattsSSV and LaGu

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The Leafs made the healthy Oilers defense look AHL level. It’s hilarious that we are two seasons removed from the playoffs and not a single upgrade was made to the back end.

We did manage to downgrade at forward and goaltender though.

Great work by management, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->