GDT: [#19] Boston Bruins at Dallas Stars, 7:00 PM CST [FS-SW]

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Hoping to see some big PP changes, especially on the zone entries. Use Heiskanen's speed.

Lets lay off the Seguin one timer play that is not working. That will work if it was Laine, you had Scheifele sneaking into the slot, Buff as an option to fire bombs from the point and Wheeler having all day to decide who to pass to because of those plethora of options. But the Stars have none of that. I supposed you have to gain entry first though lol.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Lets lay off the Seguin one timer play that is not working. That will work if it was Laine, you had Scheifele sneaking into the slot, Buff as an option to fire bombs from the point and Wheeler having all day to decide who to pass to because of those plethora of options. But the Stars have none of that. I supposed you have to gain entry first though lol.

The only reason that Seguin ever scores with that one timer is if the goalie is out of position and even then he misses the net a lot lol. His shot is not as lethal as they think and the only goals that really ever come from it are Jamie Benn rebound goals or deflections. It's so frustrating watching them pass to him constantly and everyone else is scared to shoot just like in that OT powerplay vs the Preds. We have no other threats to shoot its embarrassing. I'd prefer Seguin to shoot for a rebound at the very least. Usually he misses the net or just puts it right into the goalies stomach

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The only reason that Seguin ever scores with that one timer is if the goalie is out of position and even then he misses the net a lot lol. His shot is not as lethal as they think and the only goals that really ever come from it are Jamie Benn rebound goals or deflections. It's so frustrating watching them pass to him constantly and everyone else is scared to shoot just like in that OT powerplay vs the Preds. We have no other threats to shoot its embarrassing. I'd prefer Seguin to shoot for a rebound at the very least. Usually he misses the net or just puts it right into the goalies stomach

His one-timer is pretty average. It's not totally his fault, it's an insanely difficult shot to perfect (ask anyone who's ever tried to take one - you're lucky just to even hit the puck). Ovechkin, Stamkos, and maybe Laine are the only ones I can think of who regularly get it off with any accuracy, and all three of them are probably top 5 goal scorers of this generation.

I'd much rather see him just hold on to it for a split second and get off a normal wrister, which is a much better tool of his.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
His one-timer is pretty average. It's not totally his fault, it's an insanely difficult shot to perfect (ask anyone who's ever tried to take one - you're lucky just to even hit the puck). Ovechkin, Stamkos, and maybe Laine are the only ones I can think of who regularly get it off with any accuracy, and all three of them are probably top 5 goal scorers of this generation.

I'd much rather see him just hold on to it for a split second and get off a normal wrister, which is a much better tool of his.

And he needs to get closer to the net as well.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I will give Seguin credit that he's good at getting it away if it's not in his wheelhouse or if it's rolling. And he can get some fire on it for sure, but it's just not working.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I will give Seguin credit that he's good at getting it away if it's not in his wheelhouse or if it's rolling. And he can get some fire on it for sure, but it's just not working.

Also to be fair to Seguin, if he didn't shoot the puck I don't think anyone would lol.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Should be an interesting game tonight as between the 2 teams there's only a couple of NHL d-men on both roster combined - and some high scoring lines.

Bruins are without Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, John Moore, Kevan Miller and Vaakanienen now.
Zboril and Clifton will be playing their 1st games tonight. Lauzon his 7th. Grzlyck is pretty much their 7th d-man and Kampfer was a toss-in (contract) for trading Adam McQuaid. The only NHL d-man the Bruins have is Krug - whom already missed 10 games.

I expect an 8-5 game one way or the other - but we'll probably get some 2-0 empty-netter game instead. Who knows.

How's Benn been looking? Just amazing when he's motivated but seems like it's so hit or miss at times when I watch him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Should be an interesting game tonight as between the 2 teams there's only a couple of NHL d-men on both roster combined - and some high scoring lines.

Bruins are without Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, John Moore, Kevan Miller and Vaakanienen now.
Zboril and Clifton will be playing their 1st games tonight. Lauzon his 7th. Grzlyck is pretty much their 7th d-man and Kampfer was a toss-in (contract) for trading Adam McQuaid. The only NHL d-man the Bruins have is Krug - whom already missed 10 games.

I expect an 8-5 game one way or the other - but we'll probably get some 2-0 empty-netter game instead. Who knows.

How's Benn been looking? Just amazing when he's motivated but seems like it's so hit or miss at times when I watch him.

Jesus, you guys might be worse off than us on defense. That's hard to believe.

Benn has been rather disappointing this season, outside of the first 3 games. He just seems lazy and doesn't have the same energy level he's had before. He's still producing at a decent rate and he'll have a shift every now and then where he looks as dominant as ever (the shift where he crushed Seth Jones twice comes to mind). But a lot of us fear that this might be signaling a decline in his game like most power forwards endure. That remains to be seen.

It certainly will be interesting to see what are likely the two best lines in hockey right now go head to head. Radulov wasn't healthy the last time we played each other this season.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Jeez the Bruins have been hit hard. I mean we have been hit too but still at least have 2 of our top 3 dmen

Benn has been meh. Showed a little more energy on this home stand but he plays lazy hockey until after the all-star break so it's not too surprising. Radulov coming back has and certainly will help.

As for the Stars defense, Carrick, Johns, and Klingberg are all out long term (Klingberg 5-6 weeks now up from 3-4) and Methot is out at least another week. Bayreuther is making his NHL debut, Honka sucks, Polak has been decent but not good enough for the 20+ minutes he will get tonight, and Hanley is a career AHL player.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Any surgery to repair a busted hand will set someone back 4-6, I don't understand the sky is falling mentality about Monty saying it'll take time.

Anyway, all of our wingers outside of Radulov are awful so far.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Jesus, you guys might be worse off than us on defense. That's hard to believe.

Benn has been rather disappointing this season, outside of the first 3 games. He just seems lazy and doesn't have the same energy level he's had before. He's still producing at a decent rate and he'll have a shift every now and then where he looks as dominant as ever (the shift where he crushed Seth Jones twice comes to mind). But a lot of us fear that this might be signaling a decline in his game like most power forwards endure. That remains to be seen.

It certainly will be interesting to see what are likely the two best lines in hockey right now go head to head. Radulov wasn't healthy the last time we played each other this season.
Jeez the Bruins have been hit hard. I mean we have been hit too but still at least have 2 of our top 3 dmen

Benn has been meh. Showed a little more energy on this home stand but he plays lazy hockey until after the all-star break so it's not too surprising. Radulov coming back has and certainly will help.

As for the Stars defense, Carrick, Johns, and Klingberg are all out long term (Klingberg 5-6 weeks now up from 3-4) and Methot is out at least another week. Bayreuther is making his NHL debut, Honka sucks, Polak has been decent but not good enough for the 20+ minutes he will get tonight, and Hanley is a career AHL player.

I'm a fan of Benn but am never too sure which one I'll get to watch. The 'lazy' factor goes back to juniors - so it happens. One of my favourites of all-time was Kent Nilsson was kinda the same way. Probably the only player that could've challenged Gretzky (he was that good) but only tried every once in awhile. Don't think it's the power forward aspect. Hopefully he gets engaged for you guys sooner than later. - still a win/win trade - McQuaid for a 4th rounder (Benn)

As much as I love both top lines they do have some competition from Colorado also. Been a long time since we've seen one line this dominant - never mind three of them. I was never that impressed with Radulov before but is amazing that he's turned it on for you guys to that degree.

Hopefully they go best on best tonight.

Last year it was Boston and Anaheim battling for worst injuries for the first half of the season - then this year it's both our defences. Bruins have lost all top 7 defence men already and it's only at the 18 game mark. That's ridiculous. - and you guys haven't been much better off.

p.s. always one of my favourite games against The Stars (as a Bruins fan) - and made me like Modano even more after his post-game reaction
p.p.s. hoping to make my way down there in the spring as I have a lot of friends in Texas and haven't been there in too long and have never taken my kids.

Good luck tonight.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Do you guys think Heiskanen would be where he is right now if Hitchcock was still our coach?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And he needs to get closer to the net as well.
Or at least closer to the center of the ice. He’s taking these shots from so wide that he’s leaving himself very little net to hit, and when he misses, the puck often rockets out of the zone. The other problem with setting up so wide, is the pass takes longer to get to him, meaning goalies have that much extra time to get across.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
D corp leading by 2 players listed as top prospects 18 months ago....time goes by so fast in the NHL :rolleyes:

Bishop will be the match key tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad