Speculation: 19/20 Power Rankings

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
I still have us as a 2/3 seed coming out of the West.
I think Perry will be more productive than people are saying, which is why we're higher than STL and NSH.

1. Tampa Bay
  2. Toronto
  3. Boston
  4. Washington
  5. Vegas
  6. Colorado
  7. San Jose
  8. Dallas
  9. Calgary
  10. Nashville
  11. St. Louis
  12. Carolina
  13. Pittsburgh
  14. NYI
  15. Winnipeg
  16. Philadelphia
  17. Vancouver
  18. Arizona
  19. Florida
  20. New Jersey
  21. Chicago
  22. NYR
  23. Minnesota
  24. Buffalo
  25. Columbus
  26. Montreal
  27. Detroit
  28. Los Angeles
  29. Anaheim
  30. Edmonton
  31. Ottawa

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Yeah its tough to say. We basically have the same team as last season without some guys who didnt do much and we've added Pavelski, Perry and Sekera. So in theory we should be better as long as everyone stays healthy

I do think Colorado will finish first in the central, but then again can Grubs play solid for a whole season?

So many teams in the west have question Mark's for this season it's so hard to predict

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
It all depends on if you think two early-mid 30s goalies will repeat or come close to their career years last year. The team is definitely better, but so much of their success hinges on getting bailed out by Bish or Dobby. Having said that, I still have them in the top 3 in the central.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I honestly see the Stars finishing the same as last year. Wild Card, 4th in the division at best. Maybe even 5th since Colorado is looking good. If there is any kind of improvement in the Pacific division, the Stars need to be careful with those Wild Card spots.

Jets - Even with their questions on D, I don't see the Stars finishing ahead of them. Still tonnes of studs at F and Helle is pretty good
Nashville - Even average goaltending gets them top three in division but I'm not sure I like Tuukka at a year older
St Louis - Likely finish 2nd or 3rd
Colorado - They'll need decent goaltending, but they look to be 95 point team
Chicago - I'm not sure what is going to happen here because they do have some nice players. They could surprise and sneak in
Minnesota - Look to finish last again

RussianSpy

Oct 3, 2017
Chicago, IL
I honestly see the Stars finishing the same as last year. Wild Card, 4th in the division at best. Maybe even 5th since Colorado is looking good. If there is any kind of improvement in the Pacific division, the Stars need to be careful with those Wild Card spots.

That's the only part I really disagree with. There aren't 3 teams in the division definitely better than us.
St Louis isn't a lock to repeat or finish higher than us. Nashville and Winnipeg are both in the exact same position.
We could finish 1st, we could finish 5th. Neither would shock me.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
That's the only part I really disagree with. There aren't 3 teams in the division definitely better than us.
St Louis isn't a lock to repeat or finish higher than us. Nashville and Winnipeg are both in the exact same position.
We could finish 1st, we could finish 5th. Neither would shock me.

I agree St Louis is very close to the Stars so it's hard to to say for sure where they slot. Winnipeg and Nashville are in the top three for sure, and without a doubt ahead of the Stars IMO.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Jets are gonna fall apart next season imho. They're defense took a huge hit , they didn't add anyone , the young players aparently hate the leadership of Scheifle and Wheeler and Paul Maurice is legendary for not holding anyone accountable. I think Maurice is getting fired midseason with the Jets in the basement and multiple players wanting out. WHat happens with a new coach ? Who knows but that current squad with that coaching staff will not have a good year.

Nashville exchanged Subban for Duchene but the clown coaching staff that had the team put up an historically bad PP is still around. Think they'll take a step back as well.

Both teams imho needed some changes in their coaching staff.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I agree St Louis is very close to the Stars so it's hard to to say for sure where they slot. Winnipeg and Nashville are in the top three for sure, and without a doubt ahead of the Stars IMO.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Smelling Salt

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars have a shot at winning the division . I don't think any of the teams in the Central are any better than the Stars. Now of course the division is also very even so none of the team are truely bad. I do think the Jets are a prime candidate to have a start like the Blues did last season since i think they have a terrible coach who holds nobody to account and their leadership group is not exactly well like by their own team .
Its a main reason why the Jets underarchived last season . On paper that was a cup favorite ( and multiple "experts" took them to win the cup ) and they played like they didn't care for most of the year and part of the playoffs. Now the chemistry issues are still around and the team lost multiple key players. I don't see how that team is a lock for anything but a favorite to underarchive again and probably worse.

Last edited:

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Central is wide open this year- lots of solid teams, Stars just need to show up

*Bishop

Going to come down to goaltending in the central IMO.

However, it feels2good having Khudobin as our backup because it clearly helps Bishop stay healthier not having to play near as much

Really weird having faith in both goalies as a Dallas fan.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
*Bishop

Going to come down to goaltending in the central IMO.

However, it feels2good having Khudobin as our backup because it clearly helps Bishop stay healthier not having to play near as much

Really weird having faith in both goalies as a Dallas fan.
Offense needs to show up- this scoring 2 goals a game nonsense doesn’t make winning games easy

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Still need to show up. I’m happy with the offseason moves but not high on playing a defence first system

Me either, but remember when Monty said that they had to make changes to his gameplan because they basically didnt have the personnel to pull off the puck possession game they wanted? They talked a lot about it when they started saying how they all were "buying in"?

Might see things change a bit.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think stars finish Top 3 central.
Not all because of pavelski and perry but also because of the youth coming in to there own at the right time . Hintz , Heiskanen and Gurianov make the team so much faster with all those old guys on the team . I really think gurianov is gonna turn some heads this year . Fastest player on the team hands down , kid might seriously be faster than McDavid .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Who’s got that clip of guryanov getting robbed than backchecks past everybody to stop a breakaway ?

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I could see them doing really well. There are a lot of question marks though. If Pavelski can score 25+ goals, Perry at least has something left, someone young like Gurianov steps up, Hintz plays up to expectations, and the goalies are at least really close to what they were last year... If all that happens and they don't have bad injury luck then things will go really well. But it's just as likely that several of those things don't happen.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This is the most confident I’ve felt about our team in a long time so I expect good results on the ice as well. We’ve got the perfect combination of youth and veterans to contend for these next 2-3 seasons. After that we can see if there is the need to rebuild, but for now I’m ready to go all in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->