Prospect Info: 18th Overall (Round 1) - Urho Vaakanainen (D)

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
I think you guys are selling Vaakanainen short here. It's understandable, most offensively capable defensemen run around with their pants on fire at his age. But, as some have pointed out, Vaak plays like 10 year vet, and that applies to defense as well as offense. He doesn't overdo it, but when there is a right moment he shows he is quite capable of it. In that sense he is closer to guys like Keith and Reilly than he is to Carlo or Brodin. That's not to say he will end up a Roman Josi, but I would not put any ceiling at this point. He absolutely has all the tools, he just might put it all together.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
anyone who seen him play more... think he could become a modern day kevin lowe?

lowe probably gets a bit underrated now but he had a 1200 game career... and had some decent offense to his game early in his career. wasn't a total bruiser but played competitive hard nose hockey.

brad mccrimmon is another name from the past I hope for when I see my first look at Urho. mccrimmon also had a 1200 game career... around 400 points. so very simiar basic numbers to lowe. both guys played hard without being known as dirty or overly physical dmen. they got the job done. smart. moved the puck well.

if Urho has anything close to the potential these 2 names did... we cant move him now. getting a dman like this is just too important for team success. even if hes only at a glen Wesley level... Wesley hung around for 1400 games. maybe wasn't quite the effective defender that mccrimmon or lowe were... maybe had a bit better offense... but Wesley and mccrimmon are 2 guys we gave up on quite young and even though the Wesley return was outstanding... we could have used these guys on the team

trading a young guy with this much potential that he could be a top 3 dman for 1000 game career... you don't get that everyday. trade it and you will be looking for it for years

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm not sure he'll ever be a considered a star, but he's going to play in this league for a long, long time.

I doesn't matter if / when Vaakanainen won't be star defender in NHL.
We ( Finns) already have Heiskanen who's gonna be a star.

Vaakanainen is good shutdown defender and let that be his bread and butter in NHL.
McAvoy Vaakanainen will be good D pair for Bruins.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
He looked like Carlo did in the WJC's but even more composed and had the ear of every player.

I am not disagreeing here about his team looking up to him but in the final game I thought USA had a ton of chances even when he was on the ice.The goalie stole the game for Finns..

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
anyone who seen him play more... think he could become a modern day kevin lowe?

lowe probably gets a bit underrated now but he had a 1200 game career... and had some decent offense to his game early in his career. wasn't a total bruiser but played competitive hard nose hockey.

brad mccrimmon is another name from the past I hope for when I see my first look at Urho. mccrimmon also had a 1200 game career... around 400 points. so very simiar basic numbers to lowe. both guys played hard without being known as dirty or overly physical dmen. they got the job done. smart. moved the puck well.

if Urho has anything close to the potential these 2 names did... we cant move him now. getting a dman like this is just too important for team success. even if hes only at a glen Wesley level... Wesley hung around for 1400 games. maybe wasn't quite the effective defender that mccrimmon or lowe were... maybe had a bit better offense... but Wesley and mccrimmon are 2 guys we gave up on quite young and even though the Wesley return was outstanding... we could have used these guys on the team

trading a young guy with this much potential that he could be a top 3 dman for 1000 game career... you don't get that everyday. trade it and you will be looking for it for years
Kevin Lowe upside feels extremely depressing

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I figure Urho will get another look before the trade deadline regardless of injury. He is young, but he plays like a vet and gives you a lot of what the Bruins like in Grzelcyk and Moore.

And, if Urho performs to his ability and plays his game, I can almost guarantee you, the Bruins would consider moving the roster player in trade rather than the rookie on the ELC.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hey guys, is Vaakanainen injured again? Didn’t see him out there for the P-Bruins.

If so, is he expected back for the AHL playoffs next week?

not sure anyone knows if he's sick or injured. he played a game last sunday, but then sat the last 2.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Potentially no Clifton and no Krug...probably soon?

Lauzon or Zboril will be up first. Not sure if either will be needed. They already have Kampfer here and Moore is potentially close to returning. Also, early reports are that Krug is fine. Will obviously know more tomorrow but if they need to go to Providence, I don't think Vaakanainen would even be a consideration if he was healthy.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Lauzon or Zboril will be up first. Not sure if either will be needed. They already have Kampfer here and Moore is potentially close to returning. Also, early reports are that Krug is fine. Will obviously know more tomorrow but if they need to go to Providence, I don't think Vaakanainen would even be a consideration if he was healthy.

Really...Krug is fine? Did this come out of Cassidy’s mouth because “fine” to him seems to mean multiple games out of the lineup.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Really...Krug is fine? Did this come out of Cassidy’s mouth because “fine” to him seems to mean multiple games out of the lineup.

I don't believe it was Cassidy who said it. I thought I read that Kevin Weekes talked to his Bruins people and they said that Krug was fine. Who knows at this point. My main point was that if Boston needs to go to Providence for defenseman, I don't think it's Vaakanainen.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad