Prospect Info: 18th Overall (Round 1) - Urho Vaakanainen (D)

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He is one of those guys who has always looked like he could have more of an offensive impact than he has shown. Will he ever develop it? Jonas Brodin was a similar type prospect, and of course he has never been able to develop any offensive game at the NHL level. Vaak is never going to replace Torey Krug, but you hope he can maybe develop into a 30-40 point player

I think he actually has some offensive upside and could be a good PP QB. Soft hands, great vision and can skate. Maybe not the offensive skill of Krug, but I think he could be a surprise offensive guy because of his breakout passing.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
He would be the perfect fit alongside a kid like Charlie. Vaakanainen’s positioning, puck retrieval and passing from the D zone is highly advanced. Having him back there, you can let Charlie push the neutral zone a bit more. I would strongly prefer the Bruins not trade Vaakanainen...but he may be starter asking price for some of the guys that have been linked to the B’s.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m horrific at comps but if I were to say whose game he most reminds me of at this stage it`s Hjalmarsson. Moves well, distributes well but doesn`t necessarily translate into big numbers offensively

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I`m horrific at comps but if I were to say whose game he most reminds me of at this stage it`s Hjalmarsson. Moves well, distributes well but doesn`t necessarily translate into big numbers offensively

No I love that comp, it's not too out of the realm of possibility. He's a solid player and I feel like I can definitely see his game traject to that of Hjalmarsson

Man, we have an embarrassment of riches. It's becoming even more evident as this potential trade for Schenn heats up. Even if we give up some real pieces, we'll be okay in the long run thanks to Donnie's drafting lately

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
No I love that comp, it's not too out of the realm of possibility. He's a solid player and I feel like I can definitely see his game traject to that of Hjalmarsson

Man, we have an embarrassment of riches. It's becoming even more evident as this potential trade for Schenn heats up. Even if we give up some real pieces, we'll be okay in the long run thanks to Donnie's drafting lately

smart drafting is the key, won`t always hit home runs with such an inexact science and sometimes you get a bit lucky as a kid in late rounds surprises while one`s picked sooner don`t reach expectations but it was merely a few years ago where the prospect cupboard for this team was literally bare, not the case any longer

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Vaakanainen is similar to Carlo for me in that you play both of them as a steady defensive defenseman paired with a more offensive minded defenseman. They're also likely to come at a lower cost, since they don't put up many points. As others have said, I think Vaakanainen is a good long-term pairing with McAvoy.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Vaaka MUST be intergrated into the main roster...sooner than later. By next season anything but a spot on the starting lineup, is a waste

Reactions: Mestaruus

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Maybe it’s the other “Taz”?

I thought the same then I saw the capitalization of all the names... trademark of our original.

theres quite a few posting legends from the past that I cant remember seeing for years sometimes. I had reason to remember shane walsh here with this recent murphy talk going on. shane was the moderator for the forum when I first came and the guy who asked me to become the writer so I remember shane fondly. but his name never comes up when talking about old time favorites. I do often wonder why he disappeared and never resurfaced

I wont dredge up a ton of names here other than to say I always think its cool when an old timer resurfaces.

Reactions: Rumpy

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I loved his game, ice in his veins but would like to see him speed things up sometimes. He can get closed in when forechecked, otherwise he plays like a 10 year vet

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
lol you are terrible at player comparisons. Brodin isn't half the skater Vaakanainen is.

I’m hoping that UV is closer to Ekholm than Brodin (he’s a better skater than Ekholm also). I say that because Ekholm was a guy who didn’t show a lot of offense earlier in his career, but now puts up pretty good numbers.

From what I have seen of UV, he has all the skills necessary to have decent offensive numbers. Hoping as he grows as a player and becomes more comfortable in his role, he starts jumping into the play more.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad