Prospect Info: #189 - LW/C Liam Kirk

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's never really been in a true program, right? Perhaps not great quality of competition, but he played against men in international tourney games at 16.
Complete roll of the dice on where he goes from here, but I love this pick this late

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
He's never really been in a true program, right? Perhaps not great quality of competition, but he played against men in international tourney games at 16.
Complete roll of the dice on where he goes from here, but I love this pick this late
Sheffield's one of the best-organised junior setups in the country but the coaching will have been okay at best, it's all ex-players and/or parents (they're not mutually exclusive). Steelers coach Paul Thompson's the one who got him on an apprenticeship contract at 16 and he's been training with pros since; I don't think he gets where he has without that happening.

Really looking forward to seeing how he develops playing within his own age group (assuming he goes CHL) and receiving actual, dedicated coaching because he's never had it.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I wouldn’t mind the Petes, but the rumor is his agent is a dub guy, so he’s likely to go to the WHL. Portland, Seattle, Brandon, or Kelowna wouldn’t be bad landing spots.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Kirk will be happy to land anywhere in the CHL. He is hungry and guaranteed to report so that helps his odds.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Kinda funny how a cockney accent and a Mexican accent sound the same when they say Coyotes. Haha. The great unifying word of the people. Just don’t say it like a Canadian. Ugh. Kai Oat. Get outta here!

Reactions: CC96

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"He's an interesting guy," Chayka said. "We certainly had him ranked significantly higher than where he went (in the draft) ... When we got to that stage, it made a ton of sense to take him. It's a cool story. He's a really nice kid. We're excited to see what he can do."

Kirk has never attended an NHL game in person and admits he doesn't know much about the Coyotes.

"I really have minimal knowledge," Kirk said. "Obviously, you don't get to watch too much NHL (in England) with the time difference and don't really follow along. But I knew about Arizona and how they're on a rebuild, so when I got the call saying I was drafted by the GM, it was very exciting. I just knew I wanted to just come out, do my best and hopefully play for this team."

Kirk Wants to Prove He Belongs at NHL Camp

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, as an original Welshman living in the South of England, someone made a remark to me just the other day about "your pretend English accent" so I suppose that must be a thing :laugh:
Wait? You’re from Whales and you live in England and somebody from England accused you of using a pretend English accent? Did they mean you didn’t sound Welsh “enough”?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad