Prospect Info: 188th Overall, Jakov Novak

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I know the guy personally, he's from my area. He's a great guy, a leader. Don't know much about him on the ice however. Had some nice stats in the NAHL, won the MVP, but it's the NAHL, the league where Todd Burgess was drafted out of.
He's going to Bentley University, which from the looks of it, isn't a very good program. Only notable alumni from the league is Cory Conacher, and No notable alumni's from what I can see that played for Bentley, let's hope Novak is the first or he gets recruited to a better program.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
NAHL announces 2017-18 season awards
2017-18 Most Valuable Player and Forward of the Year: Jakov Novak, Janesville Jets
The 19-year-old native of Riverside, Ontario, put together a remarkable season for the Jets. Novak, who is committed to play NCAA Division I hockey for Bentley University in the fall, led all NAHL players in scoring during the regular season with 73 points in 56 games played. That included 32 goals, which also tied for the NAHL lead. He also led the NAHL with a +41 rating during the regular season, showing his talent at both ends of the ice. Novak (6’3/200) was also selected to and played in the 2018 NAHL Top Prospects Tournament, where he improved his NHL Draft stock by recording four points in two games for one of the two NAHL Selects teams. Novak is one of several NAHL players who were listed in the NHL Central Scouting’s Final Draft Rankings for the 2018 NHL Draft. In his two-year NAHL career, he has recorded 101 points in 108 career regular season games.

Schaedig, Novak Placed on NHL Central Scouting | Janesville Jets
“The first thing you notice about Novak is his size,” Dibble said. “He’s six foot three, over two hundred pounds, can skate, and can shoot the puck like a pro. What’s amazing is his release. At a young age, he already has the release of a pro hockey player, which a lot of us got to see this weekend on a couple of his goals. Ultimately, though, Jakov is also an extremely professional human, just like Schaedig, in the way he carries himself and prepares for his games. He’s a kid with an extremely high ceiling.”

Ottawa Senators select Jets' Novak in seventh round of NHL Draft
“The first time I met Jakov, I knew he was a pro,” said Joe Dibble, who stepped down as Jets head coach/general manager prior to the 2017-18 season, in the release. “The way he plays hockey, the way he takes care of himself and dedicates himself to getting better every day. You don’t see that in many players his age. Even as a rookie I was very impressed with how he carried himself on and off the ice, and how he improved not even month to month or game to game, but practice to practice. Every hour of every day he’s thinking about getting better, and he’s not done yet. Ottawa has themselves one hell of a prospect.”

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dark Horse - he's big, he's fast, has a great shot & drives to the net, what's not to like? Hopefully, he's tough too.

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A 7th rounder is fun because you have a lot of time to let him develop. A long term project that reminds me a bit of Ryan Dzingel. Sometimes it pays off. Didn't know this guy had intriguing potential as well.

Man, this draft could be another that pays up big time for Ottawa.

Reactions: aragorn

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
A 7th rounder is fun because you have a lot of time to let him develop. A long term project that reminds me a bit of Ryan Dzingel. Sometimes it pays off. Didn't know this guy had intriguing potential as well.

Man, this draft could be another that pays up big time for Ottawa.
If tkachuk reaches his potential it’s a win regardless. But looks like we got some nice gravy in there.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I get hes tall and fast...but does he have any hockey I.Q?
Who knows? Head scout Trent Mann seems to think they got a potential player here so I guess we'll see. They have been known to find some decent players in the late rounds before.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Jakov Novak any more thougts on this guy, he had good stats first 2 years at Bentley and off to a good start so far this season

2018-19
6.png
Bentley Univ.
NCAA377815141|-
2019-20
6.png
Bentley Univ.
NCAA35161430843| -
2020-21
6.png
Bentley Univ.
NCAA4303170|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Seems to get a lot of PM's for College hockey

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He’ll be a player... he’s big and a really good skater... I’m just not sure how good the hands are... 15G grinding third liner or 30G power forward

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Probably not going to be an NHLer, but looking much better than his NAHL counterpart in Burgess.

Being in the Atlantic Hockey division makes things even more cloudy, it's the 2nd worst division in the NCAA

Reactions: Icelevel

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He’ll be a player... he’s big and a really good skater... I’m just not sure how good the hands are... 15G grinding third liner or 30G power forward

I don't know about that. I think the chances that Novak scores 15 NHL goals in his career are below 50%.

As @BondraTime pointed out he plays in a weak conference and he's already 22 years old. His skating seems not bad and he likes the rough stuff a bit so he'll probably manage a pro career in either the AHL or ECHL. NHL would be a huge, but pleasant, surprise, IMO.

Reactions: Icelevel

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Here is a Shifts & Clips video created based off of Jakov Novak's season debut vs his former team. As a note, the first period video stream was poor quality so this only include footage from the 2nd and 3rd period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad