Prospect Info: 180th overall: Vancouver selects John (Jack) Malone (Forward, Cornell University commit)

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It's Jack Malone from Jersey...I expect him to arrive at prospect camp in a black Cadillac wearing a pinstripe suit.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
These are the kind of guys the Canucks should have been gambling late round picks on, a long time ago. A better than a ppg average in the USHL and headed to Cornell University next season. He could be the next Adam Gaudette or Griffen Molino, or somewhere in between. But worth rolling the dice on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Definitely the top prospect in the Canucks 'all-name team'. Jack Malone sounds like the name of Mississippi river-boat gambler. I have a nickname already--'Blackjack Malone".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Saw over in the Kunz threat that Malone is back in the USHL. Does that not affect his NCAA eligibility (I know that USHL doesn't typically affect NCAA eligibility the way CHL does)?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Saw over in the Kunz threat that Malone is back in the USHL. Does that not affect his NCAA eligibility (I know that USHL doesn't typically affect NCAA eligibility the way CHL does)?
Ivy League was not playing fall sports so I guess he opted to play some hockey. Since guys like Boeser went to the USHL before the NCAA I doubt this impacts his college eligibility. Gives him a chance to play somewhere while Ivy league is shut down.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ivy League was not playing fall sports so I guess he opted to play some hockey. Since guys like Boeser went to the USHL before the NCAA I doubt this impacts his college eligibility. Gives him a chance to play somewhere while Ivy league is shut down.

That's the thing though. Going from USHL to NCAA I get since that's the equivalent of playing high school hockey prior to entering college. When you're playing in the USHL you are also free to play elsewhere. But once you are officially in the NCAA program and started to play, you can't just go to another NCAA program without going through the transfer process (and sitting out a year). If you play in a "professional league" you lose your NCAA eligibility (USHL is an amateur league).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the thing though. Going from USHL to NCAA I get since that's the equivalent of playing high school hockey prior to entering college. When you're playing in the USHL you are also free to play elsewhere. But once you are officially in the NCAA program and started to play, you can't just go to another NCAA program without going through the transfer process (and sitting out a year). If you play in a "professional league" you lose your NCAA eligibility (USHL is an amateur league).
Given Covid, I would hope that NCAA would show some flexibility, as these players are returning to the same league that they played in prior to getting their NCAA scholarships. No different is someone returned to the BCHL to play.

Be different if he opted to play in the AHL or in Europe.

Malone had like 8/9 points in 27 games for Cornell. Not great production. So, he needs the games. No one knows for sure when or if the Ivy league will start back up this season.

What are the other players from Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc. doing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad