GDT: #18 | Wed, Nov 13th, 2013 | Toronto Maple Leafs vs Minnesota Wild | 7:30 PM EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Scarface*

What happened to Colton Orr? Is he injured? And if so, what did he injure? He didn't play last game either.
Nothing, he's just too hard.
Carly gives him a settle and rest sometimes. Colton already done seen it all so why even bother play him forever. These cowboy **** type of players get their rest sometimes. Only then Carlyle let's it all ride again.

Mr Scarface*

Rielly Liles OUT

Ranger, IN !
and orr in too !
Carlyle playing that old school book again. You just got to respect that thing. You already know these old coots do what they want. Stubborn hard ass is the way they go all out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I hope we can get our PK back on track. We've allowed 4 goals on the PK in the last 3 games, and our PK has slipped down to 12th in the league.

James Mirtle also did a comparison of the PK from last season and this season; basically, we're getting insane goaltending shorthanded, but we're allowing way more shots on the PK than last year (last year the Leafs were one of the best teams at shot suppression on the PK).

Last year, Leafs were the best 5th best team in Shots Against on the PK. This year, they're the 5th worst :shakehead

A big reason believe it or not is having Fraser out, so having him back definitely helps. The loss of Komarov also hurts.

:rolleyes:
It was great until Bozak went down, but Bozak is just a useless plug that does nothing at all.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
It's pretty easy. I stand up for Ranger because people have a ridiculous witch hunt against him. Rielly gets excuses for his mistakes and praise for his good initiatives. Gardiner the same. It took a long while before people in general admitted that Franson was doing awfully in the defensive zone. Ranger gets crapped on for every slightest mistake and gets no appreciation for all the things he does well. I'm merely counter-arguing, pointing out that there is more to it than that.

We all watch the games here, but if we do look at it statistically, there's the following things to consider. He plays the most amount of time 5v5 on the team, lets in the fewest goals 5v5 on the team while at the same time having tough minutes with almost exclusively defensive zone starts. He is decent in possession-stats and at moving the puck out. He has the fourth most takeaways in the whole league, and the twice the amount of 5v5 points as Gardiner AND Franson. He is probably our best defenseman at setting up our skilled forwards on odd man rushes.

And yes, he is mistake-prone and can do gaffs. Most of which he recovers himself pretty well. He's gotten away with some bad plays without getting punished, but that's still a good contribution yet people talk about him like he is losing us games.

I definitely agree that people are quicker to jump on Ranger for his mistakes than any other D-man. Other than maybe Phaneuf, but he's been pretty solid so people haven't been all over him.

But where people are harping on a few Ranger mistakes here and there I think you are equally praising his break out ability on one or two beauty outlets. There have been some STINKY turnovers, and if in transition if his excellent stick work doesn't bail him out (which it often does) he is TOAST because of how slow he is. His lack of footspeed also limits his d-zone breakout ability to mainly passing, whereas Rielly can both rush and pass.

Advanced stats I really don't have time to open a can of worms about. Lol. I am all for gathering and looking at data but I still don't think it's concrete. (And yes I know this is a craaaaazy hot topic right now) You use d-zone starts combined with least 5v5 GA as a praise point, I can counter with the possibility of d-zone starts increasing the likelihood of his team starting with the puck (ie - better faceoff man out there. McClement/Bozak vs Kadri). Is winning a draw in the D-zone less dangerous for a goal against than losing one in the O-zone? I have zero stats in front of me for Leafs faceoff percentages in zones, so perhaps that hypothetical argument is wrong, I'm just trying to illustrate that IMO Advanced Stats still don't show the whole story. But I am all for them and trying to learn from them. I'm certainly not one to grumble and say they're garbage and found the stats you listed very interesting.

From a non-statistical POV, watching every game with no bias toward a certain player (I want them all to play SPECTACULARLY!), I think it's crystal clear that Ranger has been the worst D-man. I hope he has a great game tonight. But watch when he turns the puck over. If he can't whack the puck away from the opposing player, he is toast. Rielly can chase that mofo down AND provide better puck rushing (maybe not passing) to exit the zone. Just my opinion. :D

GO LEAFS GO! :yo:

Oskar The Groucho

Oct 2, 2009
Barrie
Can someone tell me why Reilly is going to sit? Did the bone head coach not see the aweful paring of Fraser-Ranger? Its like he plays and favors players who have no hockey skill, but are tall and can bang people this is not the 1990's Carlyle get with the times . SPEED kills

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I definitely agree that people are quicker to jump on Ranger for his mistakes than any other D-man. Other than maybe Phaneuf, but he's been pretty solid so people haven't been all over him.

But where people are harping on a few Ranger mistakes here and there I think you are equally praising his break out ability on one or two beauty outlets. There have been some STINKY turnovers, and if in transition if his excellent stick work doesn't bail him out (which it often does) he is TOAST because of how slow he is. His lack of footspeed also limits his d-zone breakout ability to mainly passing, whereas Rielly can both rush and pass.

Advanced stats I really don't have time to open a can of worms about. Lol. I am all for gathering and looking at data but I still don't think it's concrete. (And yes I know this is a craaaaazy hot topic right now) You use d-zone starts combined with least 5v5 GA as a praise point, I can counter with the possibility of d-zone starts increasing the likelihood of his team starting with the puck (ie - better faceoff man out there. McClement/Bozak vs Kadri). Is winning a draw in the D-zone less dangerous for a goal against than losing one in the O-zone? I have zero stats in front of me for Leafs faceoff percentages in zones, so perhaps that hypothetical argument is wrong, I'm just trying to illustrate that IMO Advanced Stats still don't show the whole story. But I am all for them and trying to learn from them. I'm certainly not one to grumble and say they're garbage and found the stats you listed very interesting.

From a non-statistical POV, watching every game with no bias toward a certain player (I want them all to play SPECTACULARLY!), I think it's crystal clear that Ranger has been the worst D-man. I hope he has a great game tonight. But watch when he turns the puck over. If he can't whack the puck away from the opposing player, he is toast. Rielly can chase that mofo down AND provide better puck rushing (maybe not passing) to exit the zone. Just my opinion. :D

GO LEAFS GO! :yo:

I actually agree with most of what you are saying, except that in the end I come down to the conclusion that Ranger has been our perhaps fourth best defensemen, with the middle group all rather close together.

You could say that what I'm striving for is your kind of reasoning, where you are able to see both sides of the player. Where he makes mistakes but also has some great plays to spring the offense, where he is immobile but has excellent stick work etc.

If my posts can make some people react and shirk away some from the worst scapegoating, I'm fine. Not trying to convince people that Ranger is great, because he hasn't been (even though his stats claim he has).

When the guy outmuscles Getzlaf and pokes the puck free for a 2-on-1 for Kessel and there's no one that seems to notice it, it makes me feel like people are missing out.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
994962_588919384507313_411775624_n.jpg

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
What the hell? The Lupul-JVR-Kessel line hasn't been working out.

Should just keep it as Raymond-JVR-Kessel and Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin or make it JVR-Kadri-Kessel, Lupul-McClement-Clarkson

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
:amazed: Get. Out. Of. My. Head. Same line-up I've wanted for a while now :P Either this or let Franson sit a game for Fraser (depends if Fraser wants to get playing time to get back from his injury or wants to slowly ease back into the line-up).

:laugh: I dunno why we're putting JVR at C when Raymond was a perfectly fine stopgap for the Canucks last year there. I doubt we'll see a change in the forward lineup though.

I really love the look of that D. Gardiner and Dion need some time together, I think they could work together quite well. While Rielly gets someone more reliable who won't leave him out to dry all the time in Gunnarsson. The third pairing gets the most sheltered minute with Franson and either Ranger/Fraser.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People are so stuck thinking 'Danger Ranger' that all they can see are the mistakes, and none of his good play. It's getting tiring to see him do great things and not get one positive word said about him from the board or announcers.

I've had a special eye on Ranger and while it's true he got away with plenty of mistakes initially, he has since then had the strongest defensive game of any of our players not named Phaneuf. (EDIT: I mean outside the mistakes, which of course lowers the impact a lot)

People only see the mistakes, they don't see or appreciate him outmuscling Getzlaf and poking the puck to Kessel at the same time for a breakaway, or the way he set up the Lupul goal against Boston with two great defensive reads. It's a bit sad really. Plenty of situations like that, no appreciation.

Ranger is a bottom pairing D man, he doesn't play against other team's toughest competition. He has struggled at times and the leash is tightening.

I am not here to say I don't want him on our team, he is what he is, a 6th or 7th D man.

What I am saying is he is not immovable, he is like Kostka last season. Infact I think Kostka was a little better.

But let's not pretend he has been a pleasant surprise for us that would prevent the Leafs from playing Rielly. When Rielly has been really good for us, and with the more he plays has gradually gotten better for us. As most 19 year olds do.

mikebel111*

Ranger is a bottom pairing D man, he doesn't play against other team's toughest competition. He has struggled at times and the leash is tightening.

I am not here to say I don't want him on our team, he is what he is, a 6th or 7th D man.

What I am saying is he is not immovable, he is like Kostka last season. Infact I think Kostka was a little better.

But let's not pretend he has been a pleasant surprise for us that would prevent the Leafs from playing Rielly. When Rielly has been really good for us, and with the more he plays has gradually gotten better for us. As most 19 year olds do.

kostka was better? That is not correct at all. Ranger is the last person that should be scratched.

you need to watch the games.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
:laugh: I dunno why we're putting JVR at C when Raymond was a perfectly fine stopgap for the Canucks last year there. I doubt we'll see a change in the forward lineup though.

I really love the look of that D. Gardiner and Dion need some time together, I think they could work together quite well. While Rielly gets someone more reliable who won't leave him out to dry all the time in Gunnarsson. The third pairing gets the most sheltered minute with Franson and either Ranger/Fraser.

Exactly! I think JVR should only be used at C if they think he can become a C long-term. I'm pretty sure they're just using him as a stop-gap, and if that's the case they should just use Raymond who has proven he can play C. Also, pairing Rielly with somebody a bit more reliable than Franson or Ranger (when he was playing bad) would be great for his development and our play. Gardiner proved in the playoffs and his rookie year that he can eat minutes while playing effectively, so why not put him with Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad