GDT: #18 | Wed, Nov 13th, 2013 | Toronto Maple Leafs vs Minnesota Wild | 7:30 PM EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Carlyle :loony:

there should be a grinder on both lines. Lupul on top line makes no sense, waste of his talents to be playing in JVR-Kessel's shadow.

And JVR as #1C again?!? :doh:

I'm not sure why you think Lupul will play in anyone's shadow. JvR and Kessel won't have the same connection all game as they had as wingers. JvR will be the man down low supporter the defense, allowing Lupul and Kessel to break out.

Why does there "have" to be a grinder on every line? I understand the thought process, but it's not a necessity.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs have allowed fewer goals last few games with limited role for Rielly. Doesn't take rocket science to figure...

Apparently it does for some, since we also only scored 1 goal against Boston. It doesn't take even a casual hockey observer to know Rielly would help our team offence, especially when we have trouble scoring without 2 of our top Center's in the line up indefinitely.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Have also scored few goals in the past few games. Must mean that Rielly was the real core of our offense right?

I don't know what you want to do here... but there is actual proof that he was one of the worst defenseman in the league (top 5) in terms of goals allowed per 60 minutes. [Worse than Schenn]

And no, offensive numbers weren't good either. I am wrong on that one.

He is a rookie. Being scratched is part of the rookie experience. He will be a very good player. He'll learn it. It is just that people want to have Rielly in lineup simply because he is top 5 pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Penalty Kill Icing*

Apparently it does for some, since we also only scored 1 goal against Boston. It doesn't take even a casual hockey observer to know Rielly would help our team offence, especially when we have trouble scoring without 2 of our top Center's in the line up indefinitely.

You'd figure that it would be more important to not allow more goals with 2 centers out.

Rielly is the worst D-man on Leafs in terms of goals for v/s against per 60 minutes. Liabilities outweighing asset by quite a margin. http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...46+63+67+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

NHL is not a developmental league. It is result oriented. And Rielly isn't exactly helping the cause. Unless you want Ron Wilson hockey. Run and gun style.

Again, Rielly will learn. Sometimes by sitting in the pressbox. Most rookies go through it.

P.S: Nice try replying back about rocket science. Especially for someone main area of expertise IS rocket science (literally).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You'd figure that it would be more important to not allow more goals with 2 centers out.

Rielly is the worst D-man on Leafs in terms of goals for v/s against per 60 minutes. Liabilities outweighing asset by quite a margin. http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...46+63+67+17+18+19+20+21+22+23+24+25+26+27+28#

NHL is not a developmental league. It is result oriented. And Rielly isn't exactly helping the cause. Unless you want Ron Wilson hockey. Run and gun style.

Again, Rielly will learn. Sometimes by sitting in the pressbox. Most rookies go through it.

P.S: Nice try replying back about rocket science. Especially for someone main area of expertise IS rocket science (literally).

Rielly if you watched hockey and not rely on boxscores, has been one of our better D men in both zones of the ice this season.

You think Paul Ranger has been better?

Asif16*

What happened to Colton Orr? Is he injured? And if so, what did he injure? He didn't play last game either.

He's had a nagging injury he has been dealing with since the start of training camp really. Probably the reason why we didnt see him fight as often either.

But it looks like he is ready to go for tonight. He should be playing

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Man before that 6 day break we had close to the most games played of anyone now with 2 games in the past 10 days only St. Louis has played less than us.

I'm tired of all this waiting watching teams pass us in the standings. Times to put up a few points in this 3 games in 4 days swing.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Still want;

JvR-Raymond-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Gardiner-McClement--Kulemin
Orr-Smithson-McLaren

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Franson
Fraser-Ranger

I'd like

Kulemin JVR Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Raymond McClement Leivo
McLaren Smithson Orr

Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Gardiner Franson
Fraser Liles

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
If we don't get many shots it's gonna be impossible to beat Harding.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I hope we can get our PK back on track. We've allowed 4 goals on the PK in the last 3 games, and our PK has slipped down to 12th in the league.

James Mirtle also did a comparison of the PK from last season and this season; basically, we're getting insane goaltending shorthanded, but we're allowing way more shots on the PK than last year (last year the Leafs were one of the best teams at shot suppression on the PK).

Last year, Leafs were the best 5th best team in Shots Against on the PK. This year, they're the 5th worst :shakehead

A big reason believe it or not is having Fraser out, so having him back definitely helps. The loss of Komarov also hurts.

Danger Ranger has been solid defensively? Another case why I watch games and not take some posts at face value. You can't be serious. :sarcasm:

:rolleyes:

Mr Scarface*

Carlyle ****ing with everyone's minds.

Either that or he major mood swings.

I like mood swings. But with women they are not that cool. Suits Carlyle though.

This isn't gonna be easy.

Minny is a legit good team. Not quite a contender but not too far off.

We get a HUGE break that Harding is sick. The guy has been unbeatable this year. Hopefully Backstrom continues struggling for one more game, at least.
I think Backstrom will play solid. He almost never struggles. He is really talented and has the power to beat teams. Would be very surprised if we see a weak game from him, so we got to be ready and shoot a lot. Some might go in. Shots must be taken.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Danger Ranger has been solid defensively? Another case why I watch games and not read boxscores. You can't be serious. :sarcasm:

People are so stuck thinking 'Danger Ranger' that all they can see are the mistakes, and none of his good play. It's getting tiring to see him do great things and not get one positive word said about him from the board or announcers.

I've had a special eye on Ranger and while it's true he got away with plenty of mistakes initially, he has since then had the strongest defensive game of any of our players not named Phaneuf. (EDIT: I mean outside the mistakes, which of course lowers the impact a lot)

People only see the mistakes, they don't see or appreciate him outmuscling Getzlaf and poking the puck to Kessel at the same time for a breakaway, or the way he set up the Lupul goal against Boston with two great defensive reads. It's a bit sad really. Plenty of situations like that, no appreciation.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
What is with people standing up for Paul Ranger so vehemently? I'm sure all of us here watch every minute of every Leafs game. So we all must see the turnovers and horrible foot speed. Am I wrong? He's not awful all the time, in fact he does often recover with a good stick after a turnover. But he'd definitely be the one I'd be scratching instead of Rielly. They are just trying to keep his confidence up while he gets his groove back (hopefully). Just the way I see it. I want him to succeed as I do with all the Leafs. Not getting the uber-Ranger defense in here when in my eyes he has clearly been the worst.

Hoping for two points tonight to start off a winning week/weekend!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Paul Ranger is barely on for any goals against. There was like a 5-6 game stretch where he wasn't on the ice for a goal against. It ended when he got pushed onto Reimer.

Clearly, he is doing something right.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What is with people standing up for Paul Ranger so vehemently? I'm sure all of us here watch every minute of every Leafs game. So we all must see the turnovers and horrible foot speed. Am I wrong? He's not awful all the time, in fact he does often recover with a good stick after a turnover. But he'd definitely be the one I'd be scratching instead of Rielly. They are just trying to keep his confidence up while he gets his groove back (hopefully). Just the way I see it. I want him to succeed as I do with all the Leafs. Not getting the uber-Ranger defense in here when in my eyes he has clearly been the worst.

Hoping for two points tonight to start off a winning week/weekend!

It's pretty easy. I stand up for Ranger because people have a ridiculous witch hunt against him. Rielly gets excuses for his mistakes and praise for his good initiatives. Gardiner the same. It took a long while before people in general admitted that Franson was doing awfully in the defensive zone. Ranger gets crapped on for every slightest mistake and gets no appreciation for all the things he does well. I'm merely counter-arguing, pointing out that there is more to it than that.

We all watch the games here, but if we do look at it statistically, there's the following things to consider. He plays the most amount of time 5v5 on the team, lets in the fewest goals 5v5 on the team while at the same time having tough minutes with almost exclusively defensive zone starts. He is decent in possession-stats and at moving the puck out. He has the fourth most takeaways in the whole league, and the twice the amount of 5v5 points as Gardiner AND Franson. He is probably our best defenseman at setting up our skilled forwards on odd man rushes.

And yes, he is mistake-prone and can do gaffs. Most of which he recovers himself pretty well. He's gotten away with some bad plays without getting punished, but that's still a good contribution yet people talk about him like he is losing us games.

Actually last game he was all over Riemmer when the goal went in last game.

He's terrible. He's just lucky his mistakes are erased by our goalie. Against B's he was on the ice flapping all over the place when they had the 2 min zone time in our end.

And he was accompanied by a Fraser that stood around wiffing on pucks and a Raymond that did nothing to stop Bergeron from going in and scoring on a chance that Reimer had no chance on even if Ranger hadn't been held down on our goalie.

Yet people spent three pages blaming Ranger but none of the other three who was at fault there. That's scapegoating.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Paul Ranger is barely on for any goals against. There was like a 5-6 game stretch where he wasn't on the ice for a goal against. It ended when he got pushed onto Reimer.

Clearly, he is doing something right.

Actually last game he was all over Riemmer when the goal went in last game.

He's terrible. He's just lucky his mistakes are erased by our goalie. Against B's he was on the ice flapping all over the place when they had the 2 min zone time in our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad