GDT: #18 | Wed, Nov 13th, 2013 | Toronto Maple Leafs vs Minnesota Wild | 7:30 PM EST | TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The Ranger thing is hilarious even though he hasn't been playing too bad lately. Nice GDT. I'd like to see this lineup.

JVR - Raymond - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Ashton - McClemment - Kulimen
Smithenson & The Face Punchers

Dion - Gardiner
Rielly - Gunnarsson
Ranger - Franson
I think it's a better idea to allow JVR to continue playing as a centre. It's not like he was the missing link in our loss against Boston. If we can start playing like period 2 consistently, we'll be unstoppable. Carlyle just really needs to stop over-coaching.

Our defensive woes is largely forward-based. Poor puck support and gap control. We need to stop depending on Phaneuf to neutralise offensive plays and instead see everyone invest their time in D. On the other hand, our offensive woes is largely the result of our D. We need to embrace our puckmovers especially with our high tempo playing style.

leafstilldeath*

Great GDT! Though I am fairly certain there aren't any rainforests in Minnesota.

Well of course there aren't. They wes phil kessel'ed :). It happened when phil turned 8 years and 1 month old. Hime being from Minnesota and no rainforests there isn't a co-incidence ;)

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think it's a better idea to allow JVR to continue playing as a centre. It's not like he was the missing link in our loss against Boston. If we can start playing like period 2 consistently, we'll be unstoppable. Carlyle just really needs to stop over-coaching.

Our defensive woes is largely forward-based. Poor puck support and gap control. We need to stop depending on Phaneuf to neutralise offensive plays and instead see everyone invest their time in D. On the other hand, our offensive woes is largely the result of our D. We need to embrace our puckmovers especially with our high tempo playing style.

I agree with your second paragraph here. I think we are doing great defensively in taking away passing angles, limiting quality of scoring chances and keeping plays to the outside. At the same time we are doing really bad at winning puck battles along the boards, and this is in large due to our forwards. People are cracking down on our defenders for not getting the puck out, but if you look at situations individually you'll notice that when we do get hold of the puck, the defenders rarely have any good options.

I'd much rather have the forwards give more support in the breakout phase, and also use our PMDs more to actually skate the puck out. This could help us attack as a unit rather than relying a lot on the more rare 2-1s or 3-2s.

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Carlyle likes kulemin better than clarkson for some reason. Really hasn't given clarkson much time in our top 6, which he was signed here to play. I don't really care which of the two play on the second and third line as BOTH players fit on either line very well. Hard physical board play and constant hustle.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Don't like the crowd-stalking thing going on with Ranger. This is just piling on

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Ranger is +5 this season, and has played a very defensive role (32.9% offensive zone starts, been on the ice for 30% of PK time).

I don't know what anyone else wants out of this guy. And, yes, he is currently better than Morgan Rielly, who has the same number of points as Ranger, but is the only Toronto D-man with a negative +/-.

Anyway..

Our scoring woes in the past few days are because other teams have done video on the Leafs and found that they scored most of their goals in cross-slot passes. Take away the slot, neutralise the Leafs offense.

In what is a never-ending cat and mouse game, I expect Carlyle will make some tweaks and ask the offensive players to generate more shot production from outside the slot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ranger is +5 this season, and has played a very defensive role (32.9% offensive zone starts, been on the ice for 30% of PK time).

I don't know what anyone else wants out of this guy. And, yes, he is currently better than Morgan Rielly, who has the same number of points as Ranger, but is the only Toronto D-man with a negative +/-.

Anyway..

Our scoring woes in the past few days are because other teams have done video on the Leafs and found that they scored most of their goals in cross-slot passes. Take away the slot, neutralise the Leafs offense.

In what is a never-ending cat and mouse game, I expect Carlyle will make some tweaks and ask the offensive players to generate more shot production from outside the slot.

I think Ranger has been better lately but he's had a really inconsistent year so far. I'm harsh sometimes on the guy but he does provide some good depth for his salary. I just hope his decision making gets better, as he's prone of making really dumb plays. Last game he iced the puck a couple times when he had plenty of time of making a better play. Little mistakes like that are the ones that make me cringe.

Our scoring woes can be attributed to a bunch of reasons. Carlyle has all ready stressed the importance of shots from the point to generate rebounds yesterday. We need to utilize our defense a lot more in terms of offense, especially on the PP.

Leafs are trying way to much to get that perfect cross crease pass, instead of cycling back the puck and get the one timer from the point. Heck they overpass the puck when they get alone infront of the net.

A prime example of this is Lupul against Boston. He deked out Chara like he was a pee-wee defenseman, he's practically alone infront of Rask but decides to try and pass it to the other player (I forget who it was) instead... and that player was all ready covered.

Now that the Leafs are not scoring on basically every second shot, they need to shoot more to create more offence, especially from the defense.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Ranger has been better lately but he's had a really inconsistent year so far. I'm harsh sometimes on the guy but he does provide some good depth for his salary. I just hope his decision making gets better, as he's prone of making really dumb plays. Last game he iced the puck a couple times when he had plenty of time of making a better play. Little mistakes like that are the ones that make me cringe.

Our scoring woes can be attributed to a bunch of reasons. Carlyle has all ready stressed the importance of shots from the point to generate rebounds yesterday. We need to utilize our defense a lot more in terms of offense, especially on the PP.

Leafs are trying way to much to get that perfect cross crease pass, instead of cycling back the puck and get the one timer from the point. Heck they overpass the puck when they get alone infront of the net.

A prime example of this is Lupul against Boston. He deked out Chara like he was a pee-wee defenseman, he's practically alone infront of Rask but decides to try and pass it to the other player (I forget who it was) instead... and that player was all ready covered.

Now that the Leafs are not scoring on basically every second shot, they need to shoot more to create more offence, especially from the defense.

Agree with pretty much all you say. Also refreshing with some level-headed criticism of Ranger, instead of hearing how he costs us games despite rarely ever being on ice for a goal against.

What I hope for the most, in terms of actual performance and not results, is that we start to work together for breakouts and not leave defensemen without decent options, and that we get more variation in our offensive game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This should be a good measuring stick game for the Leafs as both 4th place teams in their divisions go head to head.

The West is dominating the East overall this year boasting the better records, so lets see if the good guys can change that trend tonight.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Ranger thing ruined it. Guy has barely been on the ice for a goal against, and hasn't cost us again. He is one of better d-man at playing actual Defense. He has been better then Lebda ever was.

Started off great, ended pathetically.

For shame.

It's a real shame we have to bash our players so much all the time. Ranger has not been the worst D on the ice most games. It's pathetic that our fan base just has to have a whipping boy no matter what. I'm sick of it!!!

JRStewie

Nov 13, 2013
Going to be a great game tonight. We played strong last time we played them and had a great effort in the second period of the Bruins game, which I never thought we were going to win anyways. I think if we play our game, don't get caught on the ice for 2+ minutes hemmed in our own zone than we should come out with the Win.
It won't be easy but there are no easy wins in the NHL anymore.

We really do need these points as many teams have passed us in the points race. It has become a trend that teams are beating us because we lose in Reg while they lose in OT and we can't be having that.

Pumped for tonight.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's a real shame we have to bash our players so much all the time. Ranger has not been the worst D on the ice most games. It's pathetic that our fan base just has to have a whipping boy no matter what. I'm sick of it!!!

That's kind of what I was making fun of moreso than Ranger himself. Makibg fun of how people overexaggerate the bad on here. You didn't honestly believe he's actually worse than Lebderp and Barker? :laugh:

Besides, I would've loved to do Bozo the clown, but no BB reference to be had there.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
LMAO Awesome GDT. Love the better Caul Paul pun.

KUDOS. We need 2 points!

Harding has been vezina like this year (I know I have him in fantasy) which is problematic because I have JVR and Lupul as well GLG!!!

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
LMAO Awesome GDT. Love the better Caul Paul pun.

KUDOS. We need 2 points!

Harding has been vezina like this year (I know I have him in fantasy) which is problematic because I have JVR and Lupul as well GLG!!!

Harding is out sick. Backstrom starting for Min.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
No matter who they put in net we seriously need to get the offense going in this one.

Not going to be an easy one, but here's hoping we can get a win and keep on pace with the teams at the top of the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->