Post-Game Talk: #18: Panthers 2 at FLYERS 1, Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
First game I tried to watch in over a month and i fell asleep at the start of third period.

Fire Derp Hoegaarden

I too began to fade at the end of the 2nd. Had the Flyers not actually started the third with a pulse, I would've slept through Jake's goal. I blame my couch, it is too comfortable. In no way, shape, form, or matter, it is the responsibility of the Flyers to produce an attention maintaining brand of hockey that would require my wakeful attention as I register a viewing customer on my household's cable box. Totally not the Flyers fault for my drowsiness, not when Wawa is running a coffee promotion (is that still going on?, I'm a tea drinker).

#ObviousHeelTurn

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Flyers kept screwing up chances, for some reason this team can't shoot this year.
The defensemen are especially bad, look at % of shots that get through on goal (last year)
Folin 33.3%
Gudas 44.4% (55.3%)
Provorov 45.3% (52.1%)
Sanheim 45.5% (47.7%)
Ghost 45.5% (49.4%)
Hagg 46.7% (48.9%)
AMac (42.3%)

Some I doubt that after 3 years opposing teams have suddenly changed how they defend the Flyers.
They have changed they know it’s going back to the point. It’s been obvious in games that they rush to the point players and clogged the middle of the ice. Not all teams do it but many have.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Twice he has led us to victory,
And thrice it shall be,
The Ghoul shall return,
To vanquish our misery.
I hope he dresses and gets in a fight. Not only would that be a high-point of excitement for a knuckle dragger like myself, but then I could stop hearing the broadcast team drone on and one about how the Flyers are one of only two teams in the NHL this year yet to record a fighting major. SHUT UP JACKSON!

Reactions: tucson83

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They have changed they know it’s going back to the point. It’s been obvious in games that they rush to the point players and clogged the middle of the ice. Not all teams do it but many have.

How many players are they allowed to dress?
Cause it's kinda hard to both clog the middle AND rush the defenseman at the point.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
f*** the moaners. That was a great game of hockey and we deserved something out of it. We can’t win them all though. Let’s f*** Jersey up.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
How many players are they allowed to dress?
Cause it's kinda hard to both clog the middle AND rush the defenseman at the point.
Are you familiar with a high press in soccer? It's when the attacking team attempts to first play defense on the opponent's half of the field, selling out a long kicked ball, and an opponent with pace might actually be able to get a break-away against.

Because the Flyers do not attack the part of the ice with regularity from the dots to behind the net, it allows the defensemen to clog the middle, the slot, and allows the wingers to play up to the blueline, effectively rushing the our attacking defenders. Couple that with half of our defenders are either uncomfortable, or unable (Gudas, Folin, Hagg), to hold the blueline under pressure consistently, and it becomes an easy out for the opponent. The tactic to use against the Flyers, non-rush, offense is akin to a high press. The Flyers are not attacking down low, so there is very little reason to expend any defending player efforts in those areas.
I.e., when the Flyers cycle the puck in the corner, seldom does the puck stop behind the net for a centering pass into the slot. The intention is usually to pass the puck up to the point.

So, against the Flyers, no, it is not difficult to both clog the middle AND rush the defensemen at the point. C'mon man.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Are you familiar with a high press in soccer? It's when the attacking team attempts to first play defense on the opponent's half of the field, selling out a long kicked ball, and an opponent with pace might actually be able to get a break-away against.

Because the Flyers do not attack the part of the ice with regularity from the dots to behind the net, it allows the defensemen to clog the middle, the slot, and allows the wingers to play up to the blueline, effectively rushing the our attacking defenders. Couple that with half of our defenders are either uncomfortable, or unable (Gudas, Folin, Hagg), to hold the blueline under pressure consistently, and it becomes an easy out for the opponent. The tactic to use against the Flyers, non-rush, offense is akin to a high press. The Flyers are not attacking down low, so there is very little reason to expend any defending player efforts in those areas.
I.e., when the Flyers cycle the puck in the corner, seldom does the puck stop behind the net for a centering pass into the slot. The intention is usually to pass the puck up to the point.

So, against the Flyers, no, it is not difficult to both clog the middle AND rush the defensemen at the point. C'mon man.
Thank you

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

What you are saying is that another team game planned against our offensive zone strategy and our coach didn’t adjust his game plan? That’s the players fault you know.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Outplaying the other team for 10 minutes isn't enough to earn a win.

Dominating them for ten minutes and holding our own for the rest is though. We won the shot battle and the attempted shots were clearly in our favour. We lost a close game to a good team. Not much to be angry about there, but I’m sure you’ll find a way.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They got their doors blown off for 2 Periods. Am I in an alternate timeline?

This is not a negative statement about the 3rd at all. I'm just seeing more than one person say they held their own for 2 periods and I'm baffled.
The need to resist the negative fake fans is more important than accuracy, I guess.

That or severe recency bias. The team played well at the very end so everything before that was forgotten.

There’s no debate... the team got outplayed a majority of the game. They deserved to lose and they did. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s just further proof of the problems with this team, especially when you consider the player usage.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
this is flyers hockey
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad