Post-Game Talk: #18: Panthers 2 at FLYERS 1, Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wait....I can only assume this is what deadhead says all the time.

Does like Amac? Like...a lot? Just wondering.

@Mordecai @Magua @FlyerNutter @VladDrag

Not even in the same galaxy. Good lord, the nightmares haunt me yet.

giphy.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Right, but the point I'm making is it does matter when looking into the future.

If he does want that type of system then we'd be in trouble because that would mean he'll be looking for another coach who does the same thing.
If he doesn't then there's hope that the next coach will be different.

Fair enough

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
And do you think he gets that usage if the coach realizes he’s our worst defensemen?

Nope.

Top pair, plays with the top line, and gets a TON of icetime. If that doesn’t prove what the coach thinks of him then I don’t know what will.
I suppose that Hak just thinks that the current pairs work that's it. I think Haķ considers Hagg as a solid dman but I refuse to believe that he thinks that Hagg is on the same tier as Provy and Ghost, because if so... No, it's too surreal even for Hak.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland

If he does want that type of system then we'd be in trouble because that would mean he'll be looking for another coach who does the same thing.
Not getting rid of Hak at least tells he is not against the system they play.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Hextall absolutely endorses what Hakstol is doing on a game to game basis. Maybe not all of it, but surely he knew the kind of system he would use when he hired him (I'm sure Brett informed him as well).

Concepts like "your 4th line players must be your top penalty killers" and "offense is generated from the perimeter" and "you need heavy defensemen who don't use their heaviness to clear the crease" seem like a top-down organizational philosophy more than a coaching style.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Of course he wants that kind of system to some extent, Hextall is not a proponent of freewheeling, no defense ("Striiker" :cool:) hockey.
His draft picks give you an idea of how he wants a defensive oriented system to play out.

1) no smurfs, Hextall has no interest in TB type forwards, Frost and Kase are probably smallest guys he's drafted
2) no slugs other than Strome, a 4th rd flyer, he recognizes the game has changed
3) mobile D-men, but not necessarily offensive minded - a mix, Sanheim, Friedman, Provorov, Myers, Kalynuk, Wylie, as well as Hogberg, Ginning, St Ivany.
4) "gritty" forwards, the fast skilled guys are TK, Frost and O'Brien, scorers, Kase, Allison, Laczynski, Ratcliffe, two way skill guys, Lindblom, Vorobyev, Patrick, Rubtsov, Cates, Farabee, and forecheckers with some skill, NAK, Twarynski, Sushko.

So think deep forward group that can play two way hockey, with 4th lines that can forecheck, PK and pop a few goals, mobile defenses that are responsible but can carry the puck and drive play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->