18-19 Projection: Where does Glendening fit?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
When Filppula signed, I immediately began picturing lines with Filppula or Nielsen as the second and third line centers. You choose which. I generally choose Flip over Frans.

To me, that made Glendening your 4C.

But then I thought, is Blashill really going to limit his boy LFG to 4C?
Glendening played a career high 15:47 last year. Blashill seemed to like alongside Athanasiou.
Presumably, that was to protect AA defensively at center. Though I think it was also to get Glendening some minutes and help him to a career high 23 points.

But with Flip and Frans and Larkin at center, there's no reason to have Athanasiou at center, obviously. And no reason to protect AA with Glendening.

So where does that leave Glendening?
Logically, I say, 4C and PK1.

But do you think Blashill goes for that?

I wonder if we'll see something like:
Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Athanasiou-Filppula-Glendening
Hirose-Nielsen-Svechnikov (Zadina)
Helm-Ehn-Abdelkader

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he's gonna be too busy trying to shove Abdelkader into the top 6 again to put Glendening there

Glendening will be a 3rd line Winger again

Reactions: Gniwder

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't know, but anyway you shuffle those lines it's pretty clear the Wings are a one line team. Good gravy the drop off after Bert-Larkin-Mantha.

Well, you've got 30 goals in AA, even though he played nearly half the season with Glendening.

I think an AA-Flip-Svech line might be a decent line 2. AA does his thing. Flip and Svech both have the puck skills to find him. Svech has the strength and size to do work on the wall or in front of the goal. And Flip probably should only be a 3C at this point, but he's still a smart C and playmaker who can play defense, skate and win faceoffs.

I suspect that we could see Zadina by midyear and if he's ready, that would be nice too.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
he's gonna be too busy trying to shove Abdelkader into the top 6 again to put Glendening there

You may very well be right but man I hope not.

One of the reasons I'm ok with the Filppula signing is it should push people down to where they should be playing in the lineup and hopefully let the younger guys start out on the wing.

I'd be happy starting Flip as the 2C if only to give him the chance to earn it and light a fire under Nielsen. But it seems like Glendening should be 4C (with Abby on his wing) and top PK guy.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Re: "Hirose-Nielsen-Svechnikov (Zadina)"....no way Frans or Flip could/should carry 2 rookies, I'm sure Blash & SY would agree.

LGD on 4c & spot duty at 3W, depending on matchups, point in the season, whether we're up or down, home/road, injuries etc.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Yeah, I'm really worried that he's gonna try to put Helm, Abby, and Back Hand Luke (BHL) on the top 3 lines thereby ruining any chance for any offense. Hopefully he learned something in the last 15 games and puts all 3 of them on the 4th line.

Out of the 3, BLH is the best option if the kids aren't ready. I thought he played well with Hirose, certainly better than Helm did. Stats back up the eye test.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I wouldn't break up Hirose-Athanasiou to start the year. Hirose was one of the few guys Athanasiou seems to have real chemistry with. Assuming we start the year giving AA a further look at center (and why not? He did well there at the end of last season), I'd want at least one guy next to him who seems to gel with him. I'd put Flip on the other wing as a guy who can bounce to the middle as needed, and is also good enough defensively to cover for AA a bit when/if he has to.

I think folks are going to be unhappy with some of the lineup decisions to start the year. I won't be surprised to see some names (Zadina, Rasmussen) in GR and the first 40-60 games being used to see how much we really want to keep all of AA/Mantha/Bertuzzi around.

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

It should be
Glendening-Filpula-Zadina
Both of them good with kids, both of them skating good and playing hard.Of course if Zadina NHL ready.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Re: "Hirose-Nielsen-Svechnikov (Zadina)"....no way Frans or Flip could/should carry 2 rookies, I'm sure Blash & SY would agree.

LGD on 4c & spot duty at 3W, depending on matchups, point in the season, whether we're up or down, home/road, injuries etc.

Well, gotta work them in somewhere.
And I dunno. I can think of lines that have done well with rookies and/or youngsters before.
Besides, This would be Line 3. They'd have some matchups.
And both Hirose/Svech are 23 early in the season, right?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I wouldn't break up Hirose-Athanasiou to start the year. Hirose was one of the few guys Athanasiou seems to have real chemistry with. Assuming we start the year giving AA a further look at center (and why not? He did well there at the end of last season), I'd want at least one guy next to him who seems to gel with him. I'd put Flip on the other wing as a guy who can bounce to the middle as needed, and is also good enough defensively to cover for AA a bit when/if he has to.

I think folks are going to be unhappy with some of the lineup decisions to start the year. I won't be surprised to see some names (Zadina, Rasmussen) in GR and the first 40-60 games being used to see how much we really want to keep all of AA/Mantha/Bertuzzi around.

I think the Hirose-Athanasiou chemistry doesn't exist.
They have a few goals, thanks to ridiculous plays by Athanasiou. But their CF% is 37%, which is brutal.
Their shots against/60 is 44. Their shots for/60 is 21.

Some of this is due to AA playing center. But regardless, I'm looking for something more than Hirose for a 30-goal scorer.
I don't think a line as soft as Hirose-Flip-Athanasiou is going to have much success in the NHL, except in transition.
If you add a Svechnikov or maybe a Rasmussen, now you've got a wall guy/netfront guy with, presumably, first round skill.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I see Nielsen going to wing and Glendening being center as normally.

But the final fit for Glendening after February will be Toronto Maple Leafs 4th line center.

They just traded Kadri and I 110% guarantee Babcock wants another SOB to matchup against opposite teams. Kadri was that element and now they don't have anybody,

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
its so logical to trade glenny because he has worth , if im a contender im seriously interested , and he doesnt fit our time line because of age . glenny and a 4th for a 2nd and give turgeon , or helm , the 4C job . * but helms another guy ide add a pick to and trade for an earlier pick . same with green and howard . im thinking 19 loads up for the next draft while also looking to dump cap hits when possible , alot of trades this next year with an eye on having the 50 man depth chart adjusted for the long haul going into the 2020/21 season .

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Idk, might want someone that can pass/shoot. Glendening deserve to be a 4th liner/PK type guy he's not offensive weapon. Sure, he plays hard but that'll go only so far.

I would rather Hirose or someone like that with Zadina than Glendenning. I've never understood putting a not very talented grinder on the line with talented guys... so what they could sit infront of the net?(Which GD doesn't do anyways.) Or go hard in the corners... Idk good reasoning in theory but idk, I just rather have more talented offensive players play with Zadina.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I expect Glendening to earn a top 9 role. I know it will bug people, but he gets better every year. He wasn't dead weight in terms of Hirose and AA at the end of the season. We will see, while I understand he isn't a huge skill guy, I don't really get when people don't like him.

Luke Glendening is one of the hardest working and continuously improving hockey players I have seen. He went from a meh high school player into a guy that is going to likely carve out a decade in the league. He is a huge presence in our dressing room and is overall just a really easy guy for me to root for. To each their own, but as often as we talk about dealing Glendening, he is a guy with his wing flexibility and right handed faceoff prowess that assuming he remains on a reasonable deal and I find his current one quite reasonable, I am happy to keep watching him rep the winged wheel. Feels like the only bottom six player I like on this team, oh I miss thee Grind Line...

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I expect Glendening to earn a top 9 role. I know it will bug people, but he gets better every year. He wasn't dead weight in terms of Hirose and AA at the end of the season. We will see, while I understand he isn't a huge skill guy, I don't really get when people don't like him.

Luke Glendening is one of the hardest working and continuously improving hockey players I have seen. He went from a meh high school player into a guy that is going to likely carve out a decade in the league. He is a huge presence in our dressing room and is overall just a really easy guy for me to root for. To each their own, but as often as we talk about dealing Glendening, he is a guy with his wing flexibility and right handed faceoff prowess that assuming he remains on a reasonable deal and I find his current one quite reasonable, I am happy to keep watching him rep the winged wheel. Feels like the only bottom six player I like on this team, oh I miss thee Grind Line...
i LOVE glenny too , on / off ice everything glenny brings . and the off and on ice presence to me is off the charts , this guy is a leader that i want as a red wing for life . and ive stated trade him but at same time in back of my mind im thinking dont trade him his leadership is too important , it'd be like pulling a tooth for me to trade him , and in retrospect i regret stating ide trade him . ide prefer presenting him to prospects as the new red wing grinder design .

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Idk, might want someone that can pass/shoot. Glendening deserve to be a 4th liner/PK type guy he's not offensive weapon. Sure, he plays hard but that'll go only so far.

I would rather Hirose or someone like that with Zadina than Glendenning. I've never understood putting a not very talented grinder on the line with talented guys... so what they could sit infront of the net?(Which GD doesn't do anyways.) Or go hard in the corners... Idk good reasoning in theory but idk, I just rather have more talented offensive players play with Zadina.
Only Mantha and Larkin fit that role. I have never seen bad game from Glendenning. There are plenty to learn from him. Anyway ,till early - mid twenties it's learning period. Same thing with Rasmussen. He would be more productive with Larkin and Mantha, but he has different partners

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
i LOVE glenny too , on / off ice everything glenny brings . and the off and on ice presence to me is off the charts , this guy is a leader that i want as a red wing for life . and ive stated trade him but at same time in back of my mind im thinking dont trade him his leadership is too important , it'd be like pulling a tooth for me to trade him , and in retrospect i regret stating ide trade him . ide prefer presenting him to prospects as the new red wing grinder design .

If somebody pays the second, I would deal him. I just don't think that someone will pay it and because of what you're outlining above I am not against extending him. But he can only get so much money and term because of who he is. Just like he isn't unmovable at all, because if somebody want to pay us the right way we are obliged to do good business in my opinion. Still there are very few guys I admire more in the league in terms of how he made it there, I love his work ethic.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
If somebody pays the second, I would deal him. I just don't think that someone will pay it and because of what you're outlining above I am not against extending him. But he can only get so much money and term because of who he is. Just like he isn't unmovable at all, because if somebody want to pay us the right way we are obliged to do good business in my opinion. Still there are very few guys I admire more in the league in terms of how he made it there, I love his work ethic.
the right price is so tough to judge in this case because late 2nds mostly dont make it . mean while 5 more years of glenny mentoring guys like trex could be of great importance just like no doubt old wings like lirionov mentoring guys like the twins was very important . like the ex montreal canadian great whose name escapes me right now said ' hockey is leadership , leadership , leadership ' .

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I appreciate Glendening.
The same way I appreciated Abdelkader and Helm when they were on lines 3 and 4.
But I don't understand why people support playing people way above their levels.
AA produces with Glendening - he produces with everyone. AA had higher production rates with Larkin, DelRose, Rasmussen, Nyquist, Hirose and Nielsen.
And the stats show that Glendening also brings down AA's CF%.
Glendening is a notoriously bad CF guy. Sometimes, players who chase pucks around their own end for a living forget how to play anywhere else.

And again - I like Glendening.
Give me a 4C who wins 58 percent Faceoffs and can turn all those dzone faceoffs into a positive plus minus.
While I'd probably trade Glendening for a first if I could get it, there are worse fates than having him play as your 4C for $2M a year and under.

But playing him in the top 9?
That's crazy talk. Especially when you have Filppula and Nielsen and Larkin at center.
So you're going to waste your 58 percent faceoff guy on the wing again? No thanks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Someone will pay a 2nd for glendening.
I wouldn't take it.
First I'd take.
2 2nds I'd take.
A 2nd and 3rd, maybe.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Glendening fits in where he'll eventually fit in.

Our bottom 9 can go alot of different ways. There's alot of positional versitility there. Abby is the only one who hasn't played the role of center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad