18/19 MGMT Thread X: This is the song that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Canucks' player losses have reached critical mass - Sportsnet.ca

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” Canuck general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet after coach Travis Green announced that neither Tanev nor Virtanen would be available Thursday night against the Los Angeles Kings. “Thirteen days ago we were healthy. Since then, we’ve had seven injuries. It’s unbelievable.”

Never?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like clockwork. Wasn't hard to predict Benning would use injuries as an excuse, even though back in October he said injuries wouldn't be an excuse because we have depth now.

This happens EVERY year. Some, like Aquilini, are slow and haven't caught on to this. Hopefully someone close to Aquilini can point this out.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
IMAC during the break: “Even if the Canucks are out of it they don’t want futures”

When have they ever wanted futures? For the last time, this isn't a ****ing rebuild.

Of course they don't want futures. This isn't a rebuild. Some here like to call this a rebuild so they can excuse Benning for building the worst team in hockey over the last 3.5 years, but in reality this is not a rebuild. This is the product of an incompetent GM who has failed in his attempts to make the playoffs every year.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Jim Benning publicly embarrassing a 19 year old kid in his NHL debut, because he lacked the foresight to understand this could be a realistic possibility is a fireable offence.
Utter incompetence at it's finest.

Sometimes it seems Benning is bullet-proof and that to FA, being told the team can be turned around and make the playoffs soon cures all ills.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haha, you are citing Mark Spector opinion and think that makes it better? Spector is a guy who sang praises on Chiarelli (like iMac on Benning) only to turn on him once he was fired and deleted a lot of his old tweets re: Chia in the process.
Why not listen to Mark Spector?...He was there, he saw all the Oilers crap happen?...Or should I be listening to a bitter Canucks fan, on a generally negative site.?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Loui Eriksson - $6M AAV
Antoine Roussel - $3M AAV
Jay Beagle - $3M AAV
Tim Schaller - $1.9M AAV
Markus Granlund - $1.475M AAV
Erik Gudbranson - $4M AAV
Derrick Pouliot - $1.1M AAV

$20.5M in cap spent on depth players. All are essentially UFA deals.

But of course we don't have depth right? How could we be expected to have depth when all our pro-scouting acquisitions are not only over-paid but also under performing (except for Roussel).
Roussel and Beagle are performing very well, and their signings have been applauded (probably a year too long on Beagles, but thats free agency)..Gudbranson is overpaid,Schaller wasn't a good pickup..Granlund and Pouliot are on expiring deals..

Eriksson deal is an anchor contract.

member 290103

Roussel and Beagle are performing very well, and their signings have been applauded (probably a year too long on Beagles, but thats free agency)..Gudbranson is overpaid,Schaller wasn't a good pickup..Granlund and Pouliot are on expiring deals..

Eriksson deal is an anchor contract.

Is Beagle really performing well? I mean...is there anything to substantiate this?

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why do you continually do this?

You take one piece of someones post which is clearly not their full position and decide to discuss it, instead of the actual point.

The point is media is not an authority and having seen how often they've pumped up teams like the Oilers, only for them to still be spinning their wheels speaks to what they say carrying very little weight.
I was talking about the media..and how Benning is perceived in the regular media..Most of the regular longtime negative posters here dont want to discuss that though (like Bennings good draft picks)...The conversation gets shifted over to the Oilers,Pro scouting and Gillis.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I was talking about the media..and how Benning is perceived in the regular media..Most of the regular longtime negative posters here dont want to discuss that though (like Bennings good draft picks)...The conversation gets shifted over to the Oilers,Pro scouting and Gillis.

No it doesn’t!!! How can you honestly say that with a straight face!!!

The ONLY people here who bring up the Oilers or Gillis are pro Benning posters!!

These posts of yours are so disingenuous lately holy hell.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No it doesn’t!!! How can you honestly say that with a straight face!!!

The ONLY people here who bring up the Oilers or Gillis are pro Benning posters!!

These posts of yours are so disingenuous lately holy hell.
Post #44..I am discussing the how Bennining is perceived in the media (main topic)
post #60...Poster compares Canucks to the Oilers
Post#60..Poster cites bad Oiler press
Post#74..Gillis
Post#88..Pro scouting
Post #89..calls me out for apparently not answering Oilers question properly

Maybe next time investigate a bit, before you barge in and start calling out people.....

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Post #44..I am discussing the how Bennining is perceived in the media (main topic)
post #60...Poster compares Canucks to the Oilers
Post#60..Poster cites bad Oiler press
Post#74..Gillis
Post#88..Pro scouting
Post #89..calls me out for apparently not answering Oilers question properly

Maybe next time investigate a bit, before you barge in and start calling out people.....

Congratulations. One poster talked about those things.

In news of, missing my point entirely, you decided to lump everyone else into your statement, in which I said no, that’s incorrect of you.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Congratulations. One poster talked about those things.

In news of, missing my point entirely, you decided to lump everyone else into your statement, in which I said no, that’s incorrect of you.
What was your point?..That only pro Benning posters bring up the Oilers or Gillis..What?

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Canucks' player losses have reached critical mass - Sportsnet.ca

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” Canuck general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet after coach Travis Green announced that neither Tanev nor Virtanen would be available Thursday night against the Los Angeles Kings. “Thirteen days ago we were healthy. Since then, we’ve had seven injuries. It’s unbelievable.”

Never?:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Maybe Benning should rehire Burnstein. Someone who cared about this org....instead of the guy that ran off to the Warriors the first chance he got.

member 290103

Take a look at 'is Beagles contract worse than Erikssons?' thread.A lot of opinions on Beagle there..Seems to me that most posters here are satisfied.

I’m not. I don’t see what he does that a replacement level 4th line Centre can’t. I know he’s a good face off man and a great guy in the room like Guddy, but I am not seeing his value.

Reactions: geebaan

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’m not. I don’t see what he does that a replacement level 4th line Centre can’t. I know he’s a good face off man and a great guy in the room like Guddy, but I am not seeing his value.
Fair enough (I'm assuming you think Brendan Gaunce is just as adequate?)...I've discussed this at length in the Beagle thread

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
No you took one piece of what the poster wrote and then said "who's expecting the canucks to be dominant", completely neglecting the points he was making.

You do it a lot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm not a Benning fan but I think Brock Boeser saved him last year & Petterson has saved him for a few years.

He might be gone after his contract is up but I don't think he'll be fired in the meantime. Not that I think he's a good GM.

Its secure now, will it be in 2-3 years if things don't improve? Of course not. But Boeser last year & Pettersson this year have bought him time. Probably a few years.

I agree with you about the president. And that's even more reason for the idea. Either way Benning is not going to be fired but if they added to the group maybe we'd get to the end of Benning's tenure quicker. Or atleast to a part where there's a clear vision & not Benning cutting corners left & right because ownership is impatient.

The baseline is how much improved the drafting has been during his tenure. I much prefer Gillis as a GM but its undeniable the drafting has been much better in this era. And thats with Benning trading picks away left & right. They've done a much better job finding guys in the later rounds which is where I give them credit.

I know Brackett has alot to do with it, its not solely Benning. But with his background he oversees the draft & if we are going to crap on the parts of his regime that have been garbage (as we should) I think the positives of this regime should be acknowledged aswell.

Benning is about as secure as a 2 year contract suggests.

I agree that adding a President will make Benning's tenure shorter.

Look, with Aquilini logical markers don't apply. He extended Benning when Boeser and Pettersson were the lone bright spots. I'm not sure he double-counts those factors to do it again, but your guess is as good as mine. The team was mired in 3 years of terrible play. The contracts were bad, and the pro scouting brought no help. His trading acumen has been hilarious. Yet still, he got extended. The bar isn't too high here it seems.

It almost seems likely Aquilini is pushing so far against his natural quick-trigger tendencies in order to repair his reputation. Benning is more or less a hood ornament in said function.

Gillis' drafting should never be the baseline. The baseline, at the very least, should be the Potato. Give Melvin's thread a look for reference.

Benning is about average in drafting hit rates and porous everywhere else. That's giving him his due while recognizing where he is weak. Even with your premise of supposing that he is good at drafting and not so good everywhere else, is that enough? We'll see at the end of year #2, the summer of 2020.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
No you took one piece of what the poster wrote and then said "who's expecting the canucks to be dominant", completely neglecting the points he was making.

You do it a lot.
"I fondly remember how the regular media was talking about a new generation of Oiler dominance on the backs of Eberle Hall RNH Yakupov Cogliano Nilsson Gagner etc etc, or even McDavid/Drai and this new era."

Here's the quote..My reply was well within the context of the quote..If not.why?​

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Take a look at 'is Beagles contract worse than Erikssons?' thread.A lot of opinions on Beagle there..Seems to me that most posters here are satisfied.

Most aren’t satisfied; the majority of that discussion is how much worse erikssons contract is.

It’s like being punched once in the face( beagle) or twice in the face (eriksson) just cause one is better than the other doesn’t mean they both don’t suck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
"I fondly remember how the regular media was talking about a new generation of Oiler dominance on the backs of Eberle Hall RNH Yakupov Cogliano Nilsson Gagner etc etc, or even McDavid/Drai and this new era."

Here's the quote..My reply was well within the context of the quote..If not.why?​
The context of the quote wasn't about suggesting the Canucks were going to be dominant, now you're being intentionally obtuse. It was about the media talking up a team, that never went anywhere. Media talking up a team means NOTHING. But you moved the goalposts with "who said dominance".

You do that type of thing a lot. You rarely address the point, then stand on a soap box about negative long time posters and gillis. And then you complain about it the discourse. It's ironic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad