18/19 MGMT thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
I can't see how this doesn't look bad on the organization.

Teams across the league must be wondering what the hell are Benning and Weisbrod thinking this time around? Start a 19 year old goaltender who isn't near ready for the rigors of the NHL, smooth.

Sure Dipietro's long term development may not by phased by this one game but it certainly isn't ideal, the kid is 19 years old and should be playing in the OHL.

First NHL start is against the second best team in the league that is an offensive powerhouse. Nice way to get your feet wet.

The inability of management to prepare for such a scenario after months of time to make a transaction to address the goaltending depth is just mind boggling.

I mean, running Markstrom into the ground is one strategy but how could they not assume at some point the goaltending situation was gonna bite them in the ass.

Hello, McFly!!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Dylan Ferguson played in the NHL last year, straight from the WHL, however Vegas was in a much worse situation. They legitimately had goalies dropping like flies for them. Vegas used Dansk, Subban and Lagace before they had to revert to Ferguson for one game.

Canucks went right to DiPietro.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

There's lots of time to teach DiPietro to swim. He was thrown in the deep end and sank like a rock. You can advocate to throw him in again with hope he floats... Maybe he'll only let in 7 goals... That might be your type of progress, but for the best for everyone involved, hire a swimmer and leave DiPietro for the wave pool. He's not ready nor trained for NHL games. It took f***ing Demko years to get his first. Since we're in a playoff race, I'd like to see the Canucks beat the odds (it's at least exciting to follow some in season goal)... but alas, the stupidity of the organization continues to rear it's ugly head, and I'm reminded, it's more than odds they need to overcome. The Canucks are just too stupid to make the playoffs.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
By the way we can add Daniel Sedin to the list of “Benning shills” because he obviously needs the paycheck after retiring with millions of dollars. He was interviewed today and went out of his way to mention management several times in his praise of the team. How much are they paying him to do this? Let’s all speculate.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
There's lots of time to teach DiPietro to swim. He was thrown in the deep end and sank like a rock. You can advocate to throw him in again with hope he floats... Maybe he'll only let in 7 goals... That might be your type of progress, but for the best for everyone involved, hire a swimmer and leave DiPietro for the wave pool. He's not ready nor trained for NHL games. It took ****ing Demko years to get his first. Since we're in a playoff race, I'd like to see the Canucks beat the odds (it's at least exciting to follow some in season goal)... but alas, the stupidity of the organization continues to rear it's ugly head, and I'm reminded, it's more than odds they need to overcome. The Canucks are just too stupid to make the playoffs.

It’s not normal for 4 pro goalies that you should have available in Markstrom, Demko, Bachman all to be injured at the same time and for Nillson’s replacement to be claimed on waivers. You can’t waste a bunch of contract slots on goalies you don’t normally need just in case a one in a thousand situation happens where all of your pro goalies get hurt. Again, maybe management is learning from Demko and adapting to the wchanging landscape of the NHL which is seeing younger and younger goalies making an impact and this informed their decision to give Dipietro a cup of coffee. I’m hoping that Demko and Markstrom will be healthy enough to pick up the load and allow Dipietro to continue to work on his game in the CHL and I agree it’s not ideal to have him playing tonight but it’s also not the end of the world and there are positives that everyone is overlooking because all they can see is an opportunity to bash the management by acting like it is the end of the world for Dipietro because he had One tough game.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
By the way this was the coach’s decision, it had nothing to do with management because it looks like Markstrom was able to play. When you are in the NHL and injuries and extraneous circumstances happen you have to make hard decisions. Personally I love the confidence Travis showed in Mikey to put him out there against San Jose. It was a great test and showed him how good the NHL forwards are. In the short term Mikey might upset about the loss and he might’ve lost a bit of confidence but he’s also going to think “I’m still 19 years old and I just started an NHL game” and gain confidence from that too so overall I don’t see anything but positives.

I agree that I don't believe Dipietro is scarred nor do I believe one game will severely hamper his long term development. However, it's possible to have a minor negative effect on his short term development. Also, I disagree that there's nothing but positives here. There's a reason very very few 19 year old goalies don't play in the NHL. In the modern era, it is extremely rare and for good reason. This is not the ideal way to develop a goalie. If it was, you'd see more organizations doing this.

And in his second season he had like a .900 save % and was getting booed by his own fans.. I remember what happened ok you can’t just pretend that didn’t happen. He turned out just fine and even Mikey didn’t get booed by his own fans so what happened to Price was much worse.

You're leaving out the context about Price though. Price was older and won at every level including WJC gold and AHL Calder Cup. Price was getting booed because fans had high high expectations for him. He went from a .920% in his rookie year to .905%. Price had an excellent rookie year and proved himself to be an NHL ready goalie. That was a drastic step back and factoring in the fact that Halak was outplaying him that year. The Canadiens also went from 1st seed Eastern team to a 8th seed Eastern team. The problems for Price's drop in numbers wasn't solely on Price's play. There's also a big difference, Price was 22 when he had that down year.

If you want to compare, Price won his first game against a contender team Penguins.
Carey Price earns win in NHL debut as Canadiens beat Penguins 3-2

Dipietro's resume doesn't stack up to Price's at the moment.

Reactions: geebaan

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
It’s not normal for 4 pro goalies that you should have available in Markstrom, Demko, Bachman all to be injured at the same time and for Nillson’s replacement to be claimed on waivers. You can’t waste a bunch of contract slots on goalies you don’t normally need just in case a one in a thousand situation happens where all of your pro goalies get hurt. Again, maybe management is learning from Demko and adapting to the wchanging landscape of the NHL which is seeing younger and younger goalies making an impact and this informed their decision to give Dipietro a cup of coffee. I’m hoping that Demko and Markstrom will be healthy enough to pick up the load and allow Dipietro to continue to work on his game in the CHL and I agree it’s not ideal to have him playing tonight but it’s also not the end of the world and there are positives that everyone is overlooking because all they can see is an opportunity to bash the management by acting like it is the end of the world for Dipietro because he had One tough game.

They only had to contracted goalies for about a month now. It is not wasting a contract spot on a what if scenario if you are right in the middle of that very IF. This bunch of moron in the head office has no ability at all to deal with potential difficulties because they are not looking ahead. Instead of being pro-active they just react to what ever happens and sometimes (as in this case) not even that. They are just in over their head.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
people still defending this shit management? Yikes.

The only things this did was cost a team that for some reason has playoff aspirations a chance at 2 points and now it will put Benning in panic mode because there is no way that after that he can go into the next game with Dipietro on the roster.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Demko, Bachman and Markstrom makes it three goalies, not 4. Math is hard I guess.
And Bachman was already out for the season when we tried to waive McKenna.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
people still defending this **** management? Yikes.

The only things this did was cost a team that for some reason has playoff aspirations a chance at 2 points and now it will put Benning in panic mode because there is no way that after that he can go into the next game with Dipietro on the roster.

This.

How can anyone look at the current situation and defend this management group. It's insane. This scenario is entirely of their own making. That's not even getting into the chronic mismanagement of injured players that seems to be underlying much of the problem.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This.

How can anyone look at the current situation and defend this management group. It's insane. This scenario is entirely of their own making. That's not even getting into the chronic mismanagement of injured players that seems to be underlying much of the problem.

There are posters that read this talk and think we are just playing forum politics or being unfair to good ole Jim.

Its a difficult situation to lose 3 of your top3 goalies to injury after trading 1 away for peanuts but it is a self inflicted wound. If they manage the deal better and actually end up with a 3rd goalie we are fine.

Last edited:

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
There are posters that read this talk and think we are just playing forum politics or being unfair to good ole Jim.

Its a difficult situation to lose 3 of your top3 goalies to injury after trading 1 away for peanuta but it is a self inflicted wound. If they manage the deal better and actually end up with a 3rd goalie we are fine.
My arthritis is acting up right now, i'm not going to be able to post here for a little while. We'll take our argument back up if the Canucks make the playoffs. Good Day, Sir.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Its a difficult situation to lose 3 of your top3 goalies to injury after trading 1 away for peanuta but it is a self inflicted wound. If they manage the deal better and actually end up with a 3rd goalie we are fine.
Reminds of the time they forgot to do the proper paperwork so certain players could play for the Comets in their post-season run. Must have had "CBA expert" Weisbrod in charge of that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The worst thing that could happen to this team right now isn't getting shelled with a teenage goalie between the pipes.

No, worse would be actually hanging around in this playoff turtle derby. The Blues and Wild need to get on a roll and put them out of their playoff pipe dream. This team desperately needs a high lottery pick again and to become a 'seller' at the trade deadline.

The only real unfortunate thing is that they could get whacked just as easily by throwing someone like Michael Leighton to the wolves (Sharks), instead of one of the prize goaltending prospects.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Kari Lehtonen and Steve Mason both preformed adequately in NHL games last year and are currently free agents. You're telling me neither of those guys would've signed cheap NHL deals if they got offered right now?

Leafs got Michael Hutchinson for a 5th round pick next season.

Calvin Pickard and Chad Johnson were waived earlier this season.

This is indefensible, to not achieve such an incredibly mundane task in over a month is unacceptable, no other way to put it. You shouldn't expect to see ECHL teams managed like this.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The Sutter and Gubdranson situations are shaping up to be another example of really terrible roster management. These two players, unbelievably, had some sort of value last season (there were reports multiple teams called on both players and were rebuffed). Now Bob McKenzie is on the radio this morning saying nobody is calling on Sutter and he wasn't going to be moved. His value is now in the tank. Meanwhile, Gudbranson has been exposed as an absolutely terrible player who Jason Botchford just said "blows up every pairing he's on and is a total liability." Whatever sort of mythical "good-looking, character value" the guy had is completely gone.

Fortunately the contracts aren't terrible in terms of length. These guys will be likely be lucky to find jobs after the Canucks are done with them. Though that's the case with the majority of Benning's pro-level acquisitions.

The best thing is we could have traded them and, at worst, probably had the same freaking outcome on the ice.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I still can't get over the decision to extend instead of trade Gudbranson last year. His perceived value around the league was still pretty high, whereas now I imagine that's basically evaporated especially since you'd have to pick up the tab on two more years instead of him being a rental like he would've been last season.

Same deal with Sutter who was good last season only to fall off a cliff this year and constantly be hurt. We know that teams were calling on him last year and if they had eyes on signing a Beagle type in the summer then that was the time to sell on high on him.

Once again the persistent problem with this administration of not only acquiring trash overpaid veterans and fringe junk, but the commitment to not cutting any of them loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Club

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I still can't get over the decision to extend instead of trade Gudbranson last year. His perceived value around the league was still pretty high, whereas now I imagine that's basically evaporated especially since you'd have to pick up the tab on two more years instead of him being a rental like he would've been last season.

Same deal with Sutter who was good last season only to fall off a cliff this year and constantly be hurt. We know that teams were calling on him last year and if they had eyes on signing a Beagle type in the summer then that was the time to sell on high on him.

Once again the persistent problem with this administration of not only acquiring trash overpaid veterans and fringe junk, but the commitment to not cutting any of them loose.

As I've said before, Benning becomes to invested in his players. Linden was also at fault for this citing how he couldn't tell the Sedins we were going to rebuild, tear it down, and etc...

Lightning shipped out their 2 greatest franchise players via trade and buyout because it was what was best for their organization. Yzerman makes mistakes like marchessault going to Florida but overall he makes decisions that are the best for his team and capitalizes on opportunity ex. Bishop

I'm not saying we ship out the Sedins but it's just the emotional attachment and inability to be cold hearted enough to make the right calls are what hampers this organization. I view the Dipietro situation in a similar manner, the inability to realize that mistakes were made and unwilling to fix it due to either overattachment or pride.

Sutter, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Granlund, Pouliot, MDZ, etc... players that Benning acquired and continually get re-signed at all costs despite their terrible on-ice play.

Reactions: timw33

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Or they just pick up a goalie off waivers or move a nothing piece for another McKenna. Not exactly hard to find a 3rd rate goaltender if you need to. They haven't needed to yet.

People seem to want us to move a pick for a backup goaltender but I wouldn't be doing that unless Markstrom gets injured. Would prefer to hold steady and pick up McKenna off waivers, or someone else if they hit the wire.

If they are willing to move a pick, they could get a goalie immediately.

The goaltending situation could be fixed immediately if we are willing to move a pick.

After such a long layoff Markstrom should be good to hold the fort for the next 2-3 weeks. If he gets hurt, then obviously you're forced to bite the bullet.

They don't need one yet. Once they need one, he'll get one no problem. Drop the Sopel told me so.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
What a joke this whole situation was. The level of managing and planning is just appalling here. They basically got nothing out of Nilsson, didn't give themselves a chance to get 2 points last night, and rekt DiPietro in the process.

A true Benning trifecta.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a joke this whole situation was. The level of managing and planning is just appalling here. They basically got nothing out of Nilsson, didn't give themselves a chance to get 2 points last night, and rekt DiPietro in the process.

A true Benning trifecta.
'rekt DiPietro'.?..oh,the drama..lol

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
'rekt DiPietro'.?..oh,the drama..lol
What's your opinion on the whole situation.

I see you're going thread to thread to spread your faux outrage at the drama.

Do you think they handled this whole thing well. Please, please give me the courtesy of at least 3 sentences. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->