18/19 MGMT thread VIIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I remember that and I have no doubt he’s a nice guy. I think Jim Benning is probably a pretty nice guy from a nice family.
Yeah of course. I’m not going to expose any PM’s because but him and I had a pretty lengthy discussion about it.

He’s 100 % Benning’s cousin willing to bet my entire account on it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Doubt it, Jimson was posting on here before we hired Benning.

Him and DTS two of the most vocal Benning supporters on here are nowhere to be seen, though.

DTS seemed to finally hit his breaking point, made a furious post about something stupid Benning did (can’t remember which stupid thing now) and then basically never posted again.

Reactions: geebaan

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
No comparison to a team assembled around first overalls. Benning management is envied around the league right now for a number of reasons. Drafting elite, game breaking talent outside of top 3 picks. Developing players like Markstrom and Horvat well. Creating a culture of compete, which other media markets frequently comment on: Vancouver always works hard.

This doesn’t happen over night, but rather goes back to Benning’s first few years, in which he never let the dressing room become toxic, as it did with other bottom feeders, through smart veteran acquisitions and retentions and eliminating bad seeds. Ability to find useful role players in Stecher, Beagle, Motte and Roussel, which have made Vancouver’s bottom-6 finally a major contributor to wins, rather than being invisible on a good day.

It’s funny. Benning has put together a squad using the “intangible” materials of culture, compete, and mentorship. Despite the claims that these intangibles don’t exist or don’t matter as much as asset management, Benning is starting to make them become very tangible. There are serious obstacles ahead, but many see the path slowly starting to become illuminated in the dark, dark night we were placed in after 2011.

Absolutely laughable.

It's great that his scouting department lobbied incredibly hard for Pettersson after he absolutely blew the 5th overall the previous year (not to mention that entire 2016 draft) and the 6th overall pick in 2014.

Developing players like Markstrom and Horvat....two major pieces left behind by Mike Gillis from major moves, arguably developing in spite of Willie Desjardins' putrid coaching.

Yeah he brought in great non-toxic guys like ****ing Brandon Prust and let's Sutter and Gudbranson act like fake tough guys calling out their own team members about things they themselves never been seen doing once in their tenure.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Absolutely laughable.

It's great that his scouting department lobbied incredibly hard for Pettersson after he absolutely blew the 5th overall the previous year (not to mention that entire 2016 draft) and the 6th overall pick in 2014.

Developing players like Markstrom and Horvat....two major pieces left behind by Mike Gillis from major moves, arguably developing in spite of Willie Desjardins' putrid coaching.

Yeah he brought in great non-toxic guys like ****ing Brandon Prust and let's Sutter and Gudbranson act like fake tough guys calling out their own team members about things they themselves never been seen doing once in their tenure.
The HNIC crew (Hrudey,Kypreous,Friedman,Burke) were talking about a great team atmosphere/chemistry around the Canucks ...Roussel,Beagle)...Lately,the mainstream hockey media have been praising JB,and the work he has done...

Bad news for the longtime negative posters..but its not 2016 anymore.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The HNIC crew (Hrudey,Kypreous,Friedman,Burke) were talking about a great team atmosphere/chemistry around the Canucks ...Roussel,Beagle)...Lately,the mainstream hockey media have been praising JB,and the work he has done...

Well the dinosaurs on the CBC panel have made their declaration. I guess the case is closed and Jim Benning is actually good now?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

We were all waiting with bated breath for your next appeal to authority.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Absolutely laughable.

Yeah. The players brought in to shelter the kids are the once that need sheltering.

There isnt a D man in the NHL now that isnt sunk by the anchor that is Gudbranson.

If you are placed on the wing of Sutter or Beagle you wont score at all. We cant bring up scoring wingers to limited mimutes on the bottom six because of the team structure.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Him and DTS two of the most vocal Benning supporters on here are nowhere to be seen, though.
Oh Jimson's long gone. I just remember there being a thing where he was related to Benning...yeah, my impression was that he was just a guy related to Benning and therefore became a total disciple poster when Benning took over,

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well the dinosaurs on the CBC panel have made their declaration. I guess the case is closed and Jim Benning is actually good now?
Kelly H was saying at the beginning of the season "why is JB signing these UFA's..? "...now he is saying JB was smart in signing these UFA's....a bit of a 180 there..

Regardless...all I am saying is....I'm hearing 'nothing' in the way of 'negative' media concerning JB.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Exactly...At the end of the day..This is going to go two ways..This team is going to completely capsize, and regress, ....or....it will build from the ground up....[MOD] We shall see....?
It really doesn't take a genius to realise this team is heading for mediocrity or worse under this front office... Hell, it's already there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
DTS seemed to finally hit his breaking point, made a furious post about something stupid Benning did (can’t remember which stupid thing now) and then basically never posted again.

It was the contract to MacKenze Stewart.

Weirdly I see him lurking all the time but he never posts.

Reactions: timw33

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
mediocrity or worse...okey dokey..Point taken.
Until Jim Benning's pro scouting gets better and he can actually bring in a top 4 defenseman and players to surround our young core with actual effective talent, I don't see how you can be confident that this team will be anything better than mediocre with him in charge.

He's shown he can bring in some effective bottom 6 players (albeit overpaid). Until he shows he can bring in top 4 d-men and top 6 forwards, he is not going to be able to build a contender.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
No comparison to a team assembled around first overalls. Benning management is envied around the league right now for a number of reasons. Drafting elite, game breaking talent outside of top 3 picks. Developing players like Markstrom and Horvat well. Creating a culture of compete, which other media markets frequently comment on: Vancouver always works hard.

This doesn’t happen over night, but rather goes back to Benning’s first few years, in which he never let the dressing room become toxic, as it did with other bottom feeders, through smart veteran acquisitions and retentions and eliminating bad seeds. Ability to find useful role players in Stecher, Beagle, Motte and Roussel, which have made Vancouver’s bottom-6 finally a major contributor to wins, rather than being invisible on a good day.

It’s funny. Benning has put together a squad using the “intangible” materials of culture, compete, and mentorship. Despite the claims that these intangibles don’t exist or don’t matter as much as asset management, Benning is starting to make them become very tangible. There are serious obstacles ahead, but many see the path slowly starting to become illuminated in the dark, dark night we were placed in after 2011.

You can't be serious. The only thing people are envious about Benning is his amazing job security. I don't even think Francesco can buy insurance that good.

Why can't we compare this team to a team assembled around first overalls? There are very few teams that have multiple first overall picks.
Most of the top teams right now didn't draft first overall!

Right now, these are the top 3 teams of each division without drafting a first overall onto their current roster:
Flames, Sharks (Traded for Thornton), Golden Knights, Jets, Predators, Stars, Islanders, Canadiens
That's 8/12 possible teams unless I've made a mistake and some of these look like real contenders, if not dark horses.

Drafting elite, game breaking talent outside the top 3, happens every year... it's happened to us before, remember Bure?

You know why they say Vancouver has a "culture of compete"? It's cause they can't say we have a culture of winning. Benning keeps trying to make a culture of winning but obviously he's had zero success. Benning's smart veteran acquisitions have given us Eriksson, Gagner, Pouliot, Gudbranson, Schaller, MDZ, Sbisa, etc... half the "depth" players he acquired aren't even NHL caliber players. If you were here around 2011, then you would have seen what a real major contributing bottom 6 looks like.

Please explain your last paragraph. That makes no sense, what intangible characteristics is he making tangible? The only tangible thing I see is the lack of progress and failure to recognize that he's overpaying for these intangible things or they don't exist. Look at Schaller or Gagner, their contributions are either so intangible I can't see their true values to the organization or their respective contribution is non-existent.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

DTS was a Benning supporter, but had abandoned that position well before lurking.

I remember an exchange we had where he was attributing a Benning move to something I had wanted in principle, and I was attributing the same move back to what he had wanted in principle. Basically, the blame game over yet another bad Benning move. Fun times.

Still, for however many times we disagreed, DTS was a good thinker. Some of his ideas were creative and he had a grasp of the game. Who knows, maybe he'll start posting again one day? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the Benning regime as it is now.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
DTS was a Benning supporter, but had abandoned that position well before lurking.

I remember an exchange we had where he was attributing a Benning move to something I had wanted in principle, and I was attributing the same move back to what he had wanted in principle. Basically, the blame game over yet another bad Benning move. Fun times.

Still, for however many times we disagreed, DTS was a good thinker. Some of his ideas were creative and he had a grasp of the game. Who knows, maybe he'll start posting again one day? I'd like to hear his thoughts on the Benning regime as it is now.

I’d like to hear his thoughts on Lucas Sbisa “earning his contract guaranteed”. Never happened, and never will.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Green's influence on acquisitions and emerging on-ice leadership has a lot to do with this.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I loved the Sbisa is contract is ok because he will be worth in his 3rd year, who cares that we overpay him for 2 years.

BTW Sbisa wasn't even on the Canucks during his 3rd year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
My view is that for the most part TV media don't actually follow things that seriously. I bet none of the panel knows they are in the exact same spot point wise as last year at this time. The difference is how weak the conference has turned out to be this year. And really, given how weak the conference is I would suggest only being at the same point pace isn't all that spectacular. If you actually had wild card teams on pace for 95-96 points the canucks would be 6 points out of the playoffs. Don't let standings placement this year fool you into thinking this is a good team. Because it's not.

Now I will say, that if they deal with the Real Gud Poo problem between now and the deadline they could very well shore up things to get a wildcard spot due to the terrible team they are fighting with but they'd still lack the necessary depth.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I loved the Sbisa is contract is ok because he will be worth in his 3rd year, who cares that we overpay him for 2 years.

BTW Sbisa wasn't even on the Canucks during his 3rd year.

Don't you ever get sick of arguing about the same things and saying the same things all the time? Heck Sbisa had been gone for a season and a half. Let him RIP lol.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I’ll just leave it with a quote from my favourite philosopher. Fredric Jameson: “Conspiracy is the poor person's cognitive mapping in the postmodern age.”

hahahaha yessss

it's just ronningmorrisonbooth. He read the wikipedia article on critical theory during grade 10 english class (you shouldn't be looking at your phone during school btw) and he's got some new references. He did it in the last thread:

At this point it’s even more real than what actually happened it’s what Baudrillard would describe as hyperreal because thousands of people are participating in this idea that Benning is a simpleton who grew up in the prairies and is regularly likened to Jethro from the Beverley Hillbillies and Bubbles from the Trailer Park boys. The fact that his perceived socioeconomic status in th realm of hyperreality is used to belittle him shows a level of toxic bigotry that is troubling to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad