Post-Game Talk: 18/19 Endless boilerplate arguments regarding Management thread | Pt. V. Oil up your mouse wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That’s not what you were supposed to look for.. you we’re supposed to back up your previous claim:

Since you obviously can’t find anything close to this will you apologize for lying?

I already apologized for giving you too much credit in seeing the error in your ways. Doesn't matter either way, you have absolutely demolished your credibility on these boards and any subsequent posts will never be taken seriously.

Reactions: geebaan

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
That’s not an apology.. you should apologize for fabricating such a poisonous false accusation.

He is at the very least partially right. Your posts/opinions are so out of touch with realitiy it for sure feels like you are just doing it to get a reaction. Whether or not that is intentional is a different question though.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don’t like the ignore feature because I don’t want to censor discussion (even if it’s just for myself) and believe everyone is entitled to expressing their own opinion, no matter how erroneous it may be, but damn this guy is making it difficult to still feel this way.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I don’t like the ignore feature because I don’t want to censor discussion (even if it’s just for myself) and believe everyone is entitled to expressing their own opinion, no matter how erroneous it may be, but damn this guy is making it difficult to still feel this way.

It's different when the person is just posting purposefully ridiculous nonsense and not trying to engage in honest discussion.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I wrote a big long response to this while angry and it came across as less respectful than how I generally want to come across.. I need to log off and cool off, I might respond to the rest later.

Re: 1. Nothing confirms the Rangers wanted Pettersson..

Canucks GM mic'd up at draft: 5 things we learned - Sportsnet.ca

2017 NHL Draft Grades: New York Rangers

A few things about this tweet:

1. That tweet and the response seem to contradict one another. The first has NYR trading up aggressively to get Makar, the next one has Pettersson atop NYR's list. Which is it? (Same source)

2. I just want to be clear: This tweet from Adam Herman _confirms_, in your mind, that NYR would have taken Pettersson correct?

3. If this tweet does confirm this information for you, does JD Burke's insight confirm Miller/9th for you? It's an aside, but I want to know how much weight you put into tweets by bloggers.

4. Did you know that Adam Herman is an HF poster?

You know what, in the interest of serving the grander discussion, let's say Pettersson was NYR's #1 choice. Next: VAN finishes in NJ's slot (2 points more, and still below BUF). Aside from winning the lottery, which NJ did do, let's bad-luck the Canucks again and have them pick 6th or 7th (the majority percentage for the 5th last team (61.7%)).

- With ARZ now picking 5th instead of 7th, and with Glass still on the board, are we absolutely certain they trade this pick?
- Next, where is Pettersson likely to go in this scenario given no trades in the top10? (the control)
- Can VAN trade up from 6th/7th in this scenario?

This alternative universe theory is among the weirdest things I've seen on this board in quite some time. Apart from lacking common sense, it also has some serious flaws in regards to it's internal logic.

So Benning takes Nylander, then Tkachuk according to scouting consensus. Then in 2015 - again going purely by consensus the team selects Kylington instead of Boeser, who was the consensus ranked 23rd pick (Boeser was 24th). Oops, no Boeser and we have a bust. Then when 2018 rolls around, even if Petterson is still somehow on the board, the team somehow weirdly changes gears to stop drafting according to consensus and goes off board? How does that make sense?

In a weird way, you are actually proving my point here by employing reductio ad absurdum, even if you don't realize it (you don't). There are simply too many variables to conclude things either way, that's the point. The initial take here has been that Nylander + Tkachuk =/= Pettersson. It's an unsupported premise. There's no way to conclude this without choosing to hold variables constant. The _choosing_ is the problem.

I think I am the only one to truly challenge it by attempting to ground those variables. Others have chosen to outright mock the original premise by saying things like "had we not lost to Boston, then no Pettersson". What do you think they think of your argument?

Last, it's been awhile since you were last in full retreat from this sub-forum (main boards are interesting though, I'll grant you), but what you find the "weirdest" statement on here I find a cute reminder that some will stretch to hyperbole to emphasize a porous arguments. Do continue on though, it's entertaining. (I'm working on something for you as we speak)

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Not bs at all..Post #884 was lamenting on the Canucks not retaining Chayka..leading to my comment about" what has he won? "(still waiting)....Why is it a loss we didn't retain him..What has he done?..You're avoiding the question.

We're talking about Chayka..not Benning..stay on topic.

I haven’t mentioned benning;

It was a loss to lose him because having a in house replacement that is seemingly widely respected around the league (gm at 26) is foolish asset management.

Now your turn. Is winning your only measure of success?? Yes or no?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I haven’t mentioned benning;

It was a loss to lose him because having a in house replacement that is seemingly widely respected around the league (gm at 26) is foolish asset management.

Now your turn. Is winning your only measure of success?? Yes or no?
No ..its not...but its a results based business ..(especially as hockey executive)...John Chayka has no record of winning anything.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No ..its not...but its a results based business ..(especially as hockey executive)...John Chayka has no record of winning anything.

Benning has no record of winning as a Vancouver Canuck gm so he should go also according to your logic as it’s a results based business

It took you a while but you finally have come around to it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning has no record of winning as a Vancouver Canuck gm so he should go also according to your logic as it’s a results based business

It took you a while but you finally have come around to it.
Benning made the playoffs,and had a 100 point season in his first year here...Chayka has never made the the playoffs,and joined a team that had been picking high in the draft 4 yrs before his arrival.

The Coyotes are .500 right now ..lost their last two....6 years and counting.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Benning made the playoffs,and had a 100 point season in his first year here...Chayka has never made the the playoffs,and joined a team that had been picking high in the draft 4 yrs before his arrival.

The Coyotes are .500 right now ..lost their last two....6 years and counting.
Seriously...you're saying don't worry someone is worse.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
1 year making the playoffs on a mike Gillis built team and never come close since.

Under bennings regime there has been 5 different 7 game losing streaks and this is trending towards a fourth straight year of a bottom 10 finish.

You think those are good results?
Do you think making the playoffs once in 5 years is good results when you admit to trying to compete for the years the twins are here?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
In a weird way, you are actually proving my point here by employing reductio ad absurdum, even if you don't realize it (you don't). There are simply too many variables to conclude things either way, that's the point. The initial take here has been that Nylander + Tkachuk =/= Pettersson. It's an unsupported premise. There's no way to conclude this without choosing to hold variables constant. The _choosing_ is the problem.

I think I am the only one to truly challenge it by attempting to ground those variables. Others have chosen to outright mock the original premise by saying things like "had we not lost to Boston, then no Pettersson". What do you think they think of your argument?

Last, it's been awhile since you were last in full retreat from this sub-forum (main boards are interesting though, I'll grant you), but what you find the "weirdest" statement on here I find a cute reminder that some will stretch to hyperbole to emphasize a porous arguments. Do continue on though, it's entertaining. (I'm working on something for you as we speak)

You’re right, there’s no way to conclude things either way. Which is why is no one else is attempting this, as most can see how bizarre, ludicrous and ultimately pointless it is. All we can do is look at how things have actually turned out, and see a silver lining if we choose to. You’re attempting to argue that changing two significant factors in the past would not affect a future event, weird was the politest adjective I could come up. Ironically the only poster arguing that there would be any sort of constant is...you. You are choosing to hold the Petterson variable constant. All variables would be potentially affected in your alternate reality and thus this is a massive exercise in futility. At the end of the day your argument isn’t even logically consistent. Specifically the drafting philosophy variable - If the Canucks were drafting according to a different set of parameters, which presumably would be to draft according to consensus, and those parameters led them to draft Nylander and Tkachuk, why would they deviate from that at the 2017 draft?

So just to summarize: your argument is that if we draft Nylander, Tkachuk, Boeser for some reason instead of Konecny, keep Tkachuk in juniors despite lacking a top 6 LW, and then change our drafting philosophy in 2017 despite it have been quite successful up until that time, we may still have been able to still draft Petterson? Um ok? :laugh:

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Losing is exactly what we need to do right now. We should probably lose for one more year next year before competing the following year, although if things go right playoffs are possible next year.

Results-oriented: losing = success at this point in time. Not acquiring players for the purpose of winning now = success. We should be disappointed that the losing may not be sustainable as players return from injury this year.

Losing for 7+ years is what most championship-winning teams do beforehand.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Losing is exactly what we need to do right now. We should probably lose for one more year next year before competing the following year, although if things go right playoffs are possible next year.

Results-oriented: losing = success at this point in time. Not acquiring players for the purpose of winning now = success. We should be disappointed that the losing may not be sustainable as players return from injury this year.

As much as we, including Benning, would like to put the results to a schedule... we can't. The Canucks suck indefinitely. The only things that can be planned are how long the Canucks can suck before losing support in the regime... and how long the Canucks can suck before Benning is fired, or he decides to give up.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
1 year making the playoffs on a mike Gillis built team and never come close since.

Under bennings regime there has been 5 different 7 game losing streaks and this is trending towards a fourth straight year of a bottom 10 finish.

You think those are good results?
Do you think making the playoffs once in 5 years is good results when you admit to trying to compete for the years the twins are here?
Were you expecting the Canucks to be a playoff team 2015-18..?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

You're over looking the part where those teams coincidentally transitioned from garbage to competent management at around year 5. Otherwise the 7 year number is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad