Post-Game Talk: 18/19 Endless boilerplate arguments regarding Management thread | Pt. V. Oil up your mouse wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
At the start of the 2012 season a lot of hockey insiders had the Kings as cup contenders.

Yep, with 98 and 101 pts the previous two seasons. They were a good team that had a poor season in 2012, not a bad team stretching to hitch the last playoff spot. Similar to the 1994 Canucks.

Reactions: brokenhole

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In reviewing team salaries in Cap Friendly, I wonder how many Canuck fans realize how low their payroll current is? Now the 26th place team in terms of overall, being significantly out-spent by teams like Arizona, Florida, Columbus and Minnesota among others.

So what's the strategy? Is there a significant acquisition (like Nylander) in their future? Or is this the new strategy by the owners to compensate for the lack of sellouts and declining revenues?
You do realize that cash wise the Canucks are spending way more. Eriksson this season costs $7 million. Beagle and Roussel have front loaded deals?

AZ gets insurance for $4 million of Bollands deal, as well as insurance coverage for Hossa. $5 million right there.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
In reviewing team salaries in Cap Friendly, I wonder how many Canuck fans realize how low their payroll current is? Now the 26th place team in terms of overall, being significantly out-spent by teams like Arizona, Florida, Columbus and Minnesota among others.

So what's the strategy? Is there a significant acquisition (like Nylander) in their future? Or is this the new strategy by the owners to compensate for the lack of sellouts and declining revenues?

Worth pointing out that Coyotes are eating $10.7MM of cap on players who will never play again (Bolland, Hossa) and had eaten contracts like Pronger and Datsyuk in the last couple of years. Their payroll is more like $53MM once you take away the retired players they are eating.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The fact that he’s stating “make the playoffs” as the goal opposed to “win the Stanley Cup” explains why they support Benning’s philosophy of eternal mediocrity.

All they want is for us to be one of the top 16 teams in the league and they’re happy.

If the 2018-19 Canucks make the playoffs I'm sure management would be ecstatic and look for a star UFA or two to get them over the hump.

Otoh, and this is going to be really unpopular, the best thing for an owner (as far as his investment is concerned) is to make the playoffs every season. It is best if they are good enough to give the fans hope for a Cup-say top 8.

That enables them to draw well enough to sell out the home games, sell enough hope that the fans watch on TV and radio so maximize the revenue for the owner, even make the playoffs and usually two and sometimes three rounds so as to further provide revenue for the owner. It also doesn't result in the players being overpriced the way winning a Stanley Cup would.

Of course, it is best to minimize costs as well.

I think this is little more than theoretical interest, though, since FA appears to be a fan first and businessman, so far as it pertains to the Canucks, second. He'd rather win the Cup. OTOH, perhaps if he isn't winning the Cup he wants to maximize his investment by being a solid playoff team each and every year, even if that lowers the chances of a Cup win down the road. Of course, in recent years his team has neither been in contention for the Cup nor the playoffs.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the 2018-19 Canucks make the playoffs I'm sure management would be ecstatic and look for a star UFA or two to get them over the hump.

Otoh, and this is going to be really unpopular, the best thing for an owner (as far as his investment is concerned) is to make the playoffs every season. It is best if they are good enough to give the fans hope for a Cup-say top 8.

That enables them to draw well enough to sell out the home games, sell enough hope that the fans watch on TV and radio so maximize the revenue for the owner, even make the playoffs and usually two and sometimes three rounds so as to further provide revenue for the owner. It also doesn't result in the players being overpriced the way winning a Stanley Cup would.

Of course, it is best to minimize costs as well.

Well yes. Outside of winning the Cup or making it to the Cup finals, it's best for the owners to own an NHL team considered contenders then make it to the Conference Finals every year.

As for players' cost, there is a cap so as far as the owners are concerned there is a limit to player salaries.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
And now Demko's agent is mad with the Canucks. Never seen a franchise be so bad with injuries and not now how to deal with them. Something needs to change in a hurry.

I hadn't heard or seen anything about that. Where did your information come from and do you know if there some way for me to find out more about it?

Thanks.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I hadn't heard or seen anything about that. Where did your information come from and do you know if there some way for me to find out more about it?

Thanks.
I'm not sure if there was a radio interview, but it's on Dhaliwal's twitter.

Also talks about Demko having a third goalie coach in three years and having to learn new stuff during camp.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Canucks medical staff building up a class action lawsuit against them? Such ****ing incompetence
The Canucks medical staff has made far too many bizarre decisions since Benning changed them up. I think it was Botchford who made a long list a year or two ago of terrible decisions they made, and they've only continued doing so since then.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This team is just an example of utter incompetence from top to bottom. They just can't seem to get anything right and are now ruining the development of their prized goalie prospect. You see some other organizations that mismanage things like this and you laugh, well now that laughing stock is the Canucks. And shockingly some people are okay with this. Some people are more than happy with this. Some people asked for this. :shakehead

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Really the only thing that needs to be said is that in the summer like every summer they went out to try to improve the team. They looked at the roster and said “defense is fine. Goaltending is fine. What we really need is a new 4th line!”

What's hilarious is that thinking the 4th line needs to be fixed is what Stanley Cup contenders do in an offeseason, not teams that should be rebuilding. You can put together a 4th line that works fine for the 8-10 minutes they are needed for about $3MM a year.

Well maybe the agent of a star prospect will wake Aquilini up.

Considering that they may have learned nothing from the Hogdson situation...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The fact that he’s stating “make the playoffs” as the goal opposed to “win the Stanley Cup” explains why they support Benning’s philosophy of eternal mediocrity.

All they want is for us to be one of the top 16 teams in the league and they’re happy.

That’s all philosophical talk. Aim high or set realistic goals. What if the goal is simply to win the next game? Is that somehow wrong because the goal isn’t to win the Stanley Cup?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This team is just an example of utter incompetence from top to bottom. They just can't seem to get anything right and are now ruining the development of their prized goalie prospect. You see some other organizations that mismanage things like this and you laugh, well now that laughing stock is the Canucks. And shockingly some people are okay with this. Some people are more than happy with this. Some people asked for this. :shakehead

hey now, let's not be so negative k? At least the sky isn't falling.

#SkyIsTotallyNotFalling
:naughty:

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Weren't you one of the ones who asked for this the most vocally?

I think it is long past time that you and the rest of the "fire Gillis" brigade apologize for your role in getting us into this mess.

Reactions: I in the Eye

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Weren't you one of the ones who asked for this the most vocally?

I think it is long past time that you and the rest of the "fire Gillis" brigade apologize for your role in getting us into this mess.

Wrong.

Gillis needed to be fired for doing a poor job from July 1, 2011 - April 2014.

But I did not ask for this. I asked for competent management that would take this team into a rebuild. That's not what we got.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
That’s all philosophical talk. Aim high or set realistic goals. What if the goal is simply to win the next game? Is that somehow wrong because the goal isn’t to win the Stanley Cup?

Obviously it matters what goals you set, since actions are typically taken to support that goal. That’s how you get a focus on short term results - such as trading McCann + 33 for Gudbranson - rather than have the patience to wait for longer term moves to pay off. If all you want to do is make playoffs it allows you to make moves that aim for mediocrity (being amongst the top 16 teams) rather than excellence (being amongst the top 4-6 teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->