Post-Game Talk: 18/19 Endless boilerplate arguments regarding Management thread | Pt. V. Oil up your mouse wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In reviewing team salaries in Cap Friendly, I wonder how many Canuck fans realize how low their payroll current is? Now the 26th place team in terms of overall, being significantly out-spent by teams like Arizona, Florida, Columbus and Minnesota among others.

So what's the strategy? Is there a significant acquisition (like Nylander) in their future? Or is this the new strategy by the owners to compensate for the lack of sellouts and declining revenues?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It doesn’t matter how good the team does because they will do so despite of Benning, not because of him.

How do you figure that? You don't think the only way the team does well this season is due in large part to Benning's acquisitions? Good or bad this is the team that he built. There are currently only 6 players on the roster that technically aren't acquired by Benning including Biega. 4 of those 6 play defense, which I'm pretty sure you consider part of the worst D corps in the league.

The feeling of hopelessness is akin to that of Ottawa Senator’s fans during their 2017 playoff run.

Was it fun to watch? Yes.
Was it exciting? Yes.

But deep down Senator fans knew that if only their cheap ass ownership had been willing to put together the most competitive team they could without cutting corners, the Sens could’ve gone even further.

When I watch Pettersson score a goal and an assist, I can’t help wondering how many goals and assists he’d get with Ehlers and Tkachuk on his wings opposed to Loui Eriksson.

Benning will always hold this team back, and no matter how good they do, they would be doing even better with a competent GM.

So maybe someone like you is happy to enjoy whatever small victories that may fall into Benning’s lap, but I for one can’t overlook how much better things could, and should be.

Well when I was watching the Canucks lose in the playoffs in the last couple of years under Brian Burke's leadership, I couldn't help but wonder how deep in the playoffs the Canucks could have gone had Burke willing to step up and trade a 2nd round pick for Vokoun or Kiprusoff (goalies he did target) and managed to add that secondary scorer. When I was watching the Canucks lose in the Cup finals against Boston, I couldn't help but wonder if we would have won it easily had we drafted better in 08 and 09. Maybe Marcus Johansson instead of Schroeder. Maybe Stepan or Hamonic instead of Yann Sauve. That's not even counting the years I wonder what could have been had Nonis drafted Kopitar.

But yes silly rabbit, the Canucks would be doing a lot better if the Canucks always make the best move possible in hindsight or even the best move possible at the time. Heck, we can even go back to the coin flip. Never make the Cam Neely trade and we might have drafted Joe Sakic. We might not then be in a position to draft Linden but we might have ended up drafting Roenick, Brind'Amour or Selanne. Holik instead of Herter, Jagr instead of Nedved.

Considering that you joined hfboards in 2006 I assume you're old enough to "overlook how much better things could, and should be" as far as the Canucks are concerned. Otherwise, hate to live your life.

Reactions: Nomobo and Numba9

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
In reviewing team salaries in Cap Friendly, I wonder how many Canuck fans realize how low their payroll current is? Now the 26th place team in terms of overall, being significantly out-spent by teams like Arizona, Florida, Columbus and Minnesota among others.

So what's the strategy? Is there a significant acquisition (like Nylander) in their future? Or is this the new strategy by the owners to compensate for the lack of sellouts and declining revenues?

Probably not enough 4th line culture carriers on the market to give 12m /4y deals.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Canucks deserve credit for the way they have conducted things coming out of pre season. I am impressed that they waived Gagner and maybe even more impressed that they scratched Schaller.

We are.a long ways from being a meritocracy but these are positive signs.

Liked those moves, not sure why they scratched Hutton though

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Team rank in terms of salary cap doesn't matter as much as how far under the cap you are, since the 31 team league leans much close to the ceiling than it does the middle, and don't even bother looking at the floor.

But either way there's no real strategy here, our cap is low because our team sucks and is no longer in a position to attract good free agents. Benning was able to land Vrbata and Eriksson before mostly because the Sedin's were here, but with them gone that's a lot of cap space freed up and no one to spend it on. And even if it's not by design that's a good thing, when you have players like Boeser and Pettersson on ELC's that cap space can get eaten up in a hurry.

desiboyyessir

Nov 2, 2017
Moving forward Benning has to trade Tanev, which he will not due his extreme fascination of having mediocre hockey

Makes no sense to have Tanev right now, this team is going no where even with Petterson. The defence is so bad, why would Benning sign Beagle, Rousell and that other grinder, who cares about his name seriously. Why not just sign a defencemen instead? Benning is going to Benning, those contracts will bite the Canucks back in the future.

If Benning or this management had a plan it should be to trade A) Tanev and B) Sutter.

Get the highest possible return, and hope for a decent draft. The Canucks need D-man and are missing one elite forward to be considered a contender for me. Petterson, Boeser is nice, but they need one more high end skilled guy and some DEFENSE, and this where trading Tanev for that prospect comes into play; however, Benning won't sighhhhhhhhhhhhh..

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Moving forward Benning has to trade Tanev, which he will not due his extreme fascination of having mediocre hockey

Makes no sense to have Tanev right now, this team is going no where even with Petterson. The defence is so bad, why would Benning sign Beagle, Rousell and that other grinder, who cares about his name seriously. Why not just sign a defencemen instead? Benning is going to Benning, those contracts will bite the Canucks back in the future.

If Benning or this management had a plan it should be to trade A) Tanev and B) Sutter.

Get the highest possible return, and hope for a decent draft. The Canucks need D-man and are missing one elite forward to be considered a contender for me. Petterson, Boeser is nice, but they need one more high end skilled guy and some DEFENSE, and this where trading Tanev for that prospect comes into play; however, Benning won't sighhhhhhhhhhhhh..

... ? Can you edit this a bit and fix your grammar?

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

So... you're saying that because we need defense we should trade Tanev, who is already a top pairing defenseman at the NHL level, for a draft pick which might turn into an NHL defenseman? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Defensemen don't grow on trees either.. there were not many good options to sign in free agency this summer.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So... you're saying that because we need defense we should trade Tanev, who is already a top pairing defenseman at the NHL level, for a draft pick which might turn into an NHL defenseman? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Defensemen don't grow on trees either.. there were not many good options to sign in free agency this summer.

Its a bit complicated.

If you are really interested, look up the concept of a "Stanley Cup window" and it will become more clear to you.

Reactions: MarkMM

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It's too complicated for us, RMB. You're supposed to trade all your players for draft picks than wait another 5 years to make the playoffs.Only great hockey minds like PuckMunchin really understand it.
images

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The fact that he’s stating “make the playoffs” as the goal opposed to “win the Stanley Cup” explains why they support Benning’s philosophy of eternal mediocrity.

All they want is for us to be one of the top 16 teams in the league and they’re happy.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The fact that he’s stating “make the playoffs” as the goal opposed to “win the Stanley Cup” explains why they support Benning’s philosophy of eternal mediocrity.

All they want is for us to be one of the top 16 teams in the league and they’re happy.

“Anything can happen”

Reactions: y2kcanucks

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017

So ,what's the solution?Trading Tanev for a second?Engenious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->