Post-Game Talk: #17| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 20th | 7:00 PM | F/L 3-2

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
We’re in 5th place with a losing record, 6th place in point percentage. I’m not one of those “let’s blow it up” guys after every loss, but let’s not act like the people complaining is some crazy overreaction.

Simply saying “we’re tied for 2nd, stop complaining” is a disingenuous way of looking at things.

I am most definitely not in the "let's blow it up" camp but I tend to agree with your post.

The Isles are an above average but non-elite team. As we saw last year, they need to find the next gear and get upside performances from a few of everyone's usual suspects.

Mat Barzal cannot continue to carry this team offensively without any consistent help.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Unacceptable. Outplayed them, but no finish; as usual. I said it before and I'll say it again (and again), the lack of finish (as a team that wins close games) will kill them.

Last edited:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
well it was reported guys on the Capitals were treating it like a vacation, as said it does not surprise me teams like the Penguins, Blues, Capitals all knocked out early as they had won Cups recently and I am guessing they didn't really care to sit in a hotel for 2 months and give it 110% like a team hungry to win a Cup has to do

The Athletic’s Michael Russo says the Capitals turned their bubble experience into a vacation: ‘They had no interest in being there’

Posters from other space come out during a 2-game losing streak.

Further, so they would put the same value on 56-game, non-fan season?

Coincidentally, reports suggest NYI approached the bubble as a punctuated playoff experience; being 5 rounds and all.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
What's with the inside passive-aggressiveness? Some directly express distress, others indirectly, I suppose.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Please be better

I will definitely up my Isles hockey viewing game. The time for lackadaisical efforts and not going "hahd" is simply inexcusable.

Tonight I got roped into a work function by my wife and we went out with her coworkers.

Not only isn't there a hockey fan in the bunch but, as best as I can tell, nobody (not even the male spouses/boyfriends) appear to watch any type of sports or have anything to contribute in terms of pop culture, movies, TV shows, etc.

All they talk about is work, gossip, relationships, food, etc. I though for a moment I was dead and rendered to the first level of Hell.

On the plus side, they are not shy about drinking and ordering rounds, so at least the pain is chemically nullified to an extent.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
It’d be helpful if the defense could chip in a goal here and there.

Exactly. This sums up last night's loss better than anything:

Penguins defenseman last night: 3 goals
Islanders defenseman ALL SEASON: 3 goals

Our collection of six in Pulock, Pelech, Leddy, Dobson, Mayfield and Greene are now 3 for 147 (barely above 2%). Our top line duo are still searching for their first goal (0 for 57)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
It’d be helpful if the defense could chip in a goal here and there.
Devon Toews has more goals than all 6 of our defensemen combined. That is not a joke or an exaggeration. It is actually true. Maybe we should have traded Pulock instead. What is going on with him?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
They've had some outrageous good fortune in the last three games against them.
Jarry has not seen the puck on several occasions and it's just happened to hit him.
Isn't that what modern goaltending is all about?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Really? What great saves did he make? He played positionally well and the Islanders shot it at him.
Being positionally sound is what it's all about. Acrobatic saves are great for the post-game highlights, but if the goalie cuts down on the amount of net to shoot at he is going to be difficult to beat.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For those of you complaining that our skaters "shoot right at Jarry's bread basket" or "why don't we lift the puck" or "why can't it be someone else besides Leo shooting the 2 on 1" here's a thought and most of you are not going to like it.

Mat Barzal had 7 shots on goal last night. Seven. And a few other close in opportunities as well. Do you mean to tell me he couldn't have put one of them in the net?

How about if our best players be best?

Now I realize that Barzy has been fantastic for us this season but some nights there's too many people here focused on why our guys down the lineup aren't scoring and not enough focus on why didn't our best line score.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strummergas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->