Post-Game Talk: #17 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Sat., Feb. 27 - Flyers win 3-0

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
Never look a man straight in the eyes when you're eating a banana.

Or when he's eating a corn dog...

0e341780b131.jpeg

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
And just to expand on how broken that line is:

Giroux has been playing great individually and yet...
Giroux-Hayes-Patrick
11:07 at 5v5
39.13 CF% (worst on the team)
28.02 xGF% (worst on the team)

Using Ghost as an example because I think many would agree he was probably our Player of the Game...
Ghost with Hayes and Patrick - 7:01 at 5v5 - 25.00 CF%, 16.78 xGF%
Ghost without Hayes and Patrick - 10:08 at 5v5 - 52.17 CF%, 71.12 xGF%

THE COMBO DOESN'T WORK
CHANGE IT

Giroux, Patrick, and Hayes were the bottom four forwards in CF% and xGF% and Ghost got pulled down into the dirt because of that. Those four were together more than anyone.
Totally agree that Giroux should not be playing with Hayes. Especially today. Hayes was a mess all game.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A loser franchise run by losers who lose a lot and almost always lose

beat the Sabres today.

And we are zero steps closer to winning a Cup, are we?

Are you OK? You seem really bitter about me speaking the truth about the franchise's state and its prospects for winning. I don't know why you're suddenly so angry about it, I've been saying this for years now.

Reactions: Striiker

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

Are you OK? You seem really bitter about me speaking the truth about the franchise's state and its prospects for winning. I don't know why you're suddenly so angry about it, I've been saying this for years now.
Yeah, beef has been banging this gong for a while now. I know, because I have too :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Technically 2 points gives us a stronger league position to make the playoffs and therefore puts us closer to the cup.

I would say it's an opinion on the state of the Franchise and it's prospects but that's splitting hairs

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost looked very good, the best he has for a while, but it is the Sabres, I think Ghost is getting back to his pre-knee level, not quite to 2017-18. However, a better judge will be against a team that can actually forecheck.

The fourth line looked much better, they have the talent to be a top energy line, but seemed to be up and down this year.

Braun paired well with Sanheim, you have to watch his workload, but he does provide Sanheim a security blanket, I think Sanheim is what he is, a very skilled offensive defenseman who will always struggle a bit in the D-zone. Which is why Myers has to pull back his offensive game when paired with Sanheim - that's not a problem with Braun, who doesn't have one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Technically 2 points gives us a stronger league position to make the playoffs and therefore puts us closer to the cup.

I would say it's an opinion on the state of the Franchise and it's prospects but that's splitting hairs

Unfortunately, making the playoffs does little more than harm our draft position if all AV is gonna do is "play safe." Lavi is the last coach we had who I thought could take a roster and try to win with it instead of trying to avoid losing. At least there was suspense last season; waiting to see if AV would keep the regular season rolling in the playoffs instead of entering Safe Mode. It is a pity that he hasn't learned from the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Had to miss this game. Sounds like they are starting to play better.

From an entertainment perspective it was pretty ideal in that Buffalo was very ungood and we did not play down to their level. Competence and good play were on display. Which probably is my favorite trait of the AV era. Going back to Berube it has been a routine trend to play down to bad teams. Games against good teams were a grind. Games against bad teams were a grind. Everything was a grind. No matter what other issues I have with our coaches, at least for the first time in a long time we get a break from the grind sometimes.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ghost looked very good, the best he has for a while, but it is the Sabres, I think Ghost is getting back to his pre-knee level, not quite to 2017-18. However, a better judge will be against a team that can actually forecheck.

The fourth line looked much better, they have the talent to be a top energy line, but seemed to be up and down this year.

Braun paired well with Sanheim, you have to watch his workload, but he does provide Sanheim a security blanket, I think Sanheim is what he is, a very skilled offensive defenseman who will always struggle a bit in the D-zone. Which is why Myers has to pull back his offensive game when paired with Sanheim - that's not a problem with Braun, who doesn't have one.
With Myers I get the impression that he has all the physical tools in the world, but he doesn't think the game at a particularly high level. Lots of head scratching moments from him lately.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Defensemen rarely enter the league as polished players:

Norris votes last year:
Josi, hit his stride at 23-24
Carlson, 24-25 defensively, 28 on offense
Hedman 23
Pietrangelo 22
Slavin 22
Shea 23
Hamilton 23
Werenski 20, then flatlined
Makar 22
McAvoy 20, then flatlined

Myers has been a late bloomer, which is why he went undrafted at 18, he'll probably hit his peak next season at 25, a little late but that's been his whole career path. Sanheim is pretty close to a finished product. Provorov seems to have flatlined, not sure there's much more there.

Worst is we have 3 solid top 4 D-men entering their peak years, even if they don't improve substantially, that's a solid core for the next 5 years or so.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Unfortunately, making the playoffs does little more than harm our draft position if all AV is gonna do is "play safe." Lavi is the last coach we had who I thought could take a roster and try to win with it instead of trying to avoid losing. At least there was suspense last season; waiting to see if AV would keep the regular season rolling in the playoffs instead of entering Safe Mode. It is a pity that he hasn't learned from the past.
AV has been to two finals with a far worse roster than ours has he not? When in the playoffs anything can happen.

I will never hope for this team to lose. At any point. Ever.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad