Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Schmaltz obvs

End of a tier for me.

Next tier has Sanford, Toropchenko, Blais, Lindbohm, Mikkola, Binnington, maybe Musil. Pretty hard to rank anyone in this tier for me against each other

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Voted for Schmaltz. No offense to Sanford or Sundqvist, but Schmaltz's upside is potentially a top-four offensive defenseman (not that he'd ever get to be top four with Pietrangelo and Parayko ahead of him, but the potential is still there). I don't think that either Sanford or Sundqvist are at that level. Sanford, to his credit, could be a solid middle-six forward, and Sundqvist is definitely going to be a solid bottom-six forward.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Schmaltz here easily. And then just for Bluedream, after that it's Sundqvist, Blais, Mikkola, then Musil. After all those we'll have to add Jack Bradford, because I don't see him listed on any of the polls.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Went with Schmaltz. I think he's closer to making a solid impact on the team this year than Sanford (even though Sanford played a number of games last year and looked serviceable) and I think his upside is a little higher at a premium position. This is assuming Sanford ends up on the wing in the future which is where I think he'll end up despite what Armstrong says. Even if Sanford ends up at as a center, I'd still value Schmaltz just a smidgen more.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Schmaltz again. Now that Parayko is locked in, does anybody else think that if Schmaltz reaches his ceiling, he will be wasted trapped behind Colton and Pietrangelo? I am starting to wonder if Schmaltz has more value as a trade chip than a roster player.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Schmaltz again. Now that Parayko is locked in, does anybody else think that, if Schmaltz does reach his ceiling, he will be wasted trapped behind Colton and Pietrangelo? I am starting to wonder if Schmaltz has more value as a trade chip than a roster player.

I can see that. If he ends up playing a majority of the games this year playing 13-14 minutes a night, doesn't look like a mess defensively and show his puck-moving ability at even strength and an ability to produce on the power play, it'd be a waste to keep him when he is going to be blocked by the big 2. He'd be much more valuable to the Blues as a piece to acquire a top 6 center than playing a limited role on the 3rd pairing if he shows he can be a successful top 4 defenseman. The problem is he has to actually play and succeed before he would be a more valuable trade piece than roster player.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
This is the beginning of the next tier for me, consisting of Schmaltz, Sanford, Sundqvist, Blais, and Stevens. I'm going with Schmaltz here.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I guess I'm going to be one of those guys who is surprised if Schmaltz turns into a top 4 caliber player. I think he's quickly getting passed on the depth chart. I think Sanford may have more positive impact on this team, and that he's closer to doing so. This off-season is a big opportunity for both of these guys.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Before putting a list together, if someone would've asked me where Schmaltz would be on my list I would've guessed around 5-7. But I have him 10th. The Blues just have a bunch of good (not amazing, not elite) prospects all bunched together.

I see this tier as Sanford, Schmaltz and Sundqvist. All 3 are guys right on the cusp of the NHL. They should make it as support NHLers, but still not a 100% guarantee. I've defended Schmaltz's somewhat slow development for a while. I still like him but I would just place Sanford a hair ahead of him. I've seen Sundqvist a few times but I'd place him behind Sanford as a forward in terms of potential and skill. And he also suffers from unfamiliarity bias if I'm being honest.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Schmaltz, Sanford, and Toropchenko should be fighting for the bottom two slots. I went with Schmaltz this time. I don't know enough about sundqvist

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I went Sanford, but does Blais start to enter the mix soon? I think it's very open to question whether he ends up a tweener, whether he can handle he physical and defensive parts of the game well enough, etc. Still, it's hard to ignore that he just scored 26 goals in the AHL at age 20.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Yeah, people are definitely sleeping on Blais. He should be in the conversation for the next few. He put up 43 points in 75 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. That's pretty impressive. Plus 8 points in 10 playoff games. Others who watched him can attest that he improved steadily as the season went along, and ended up being one of the most important forwards for the Wolves down the stretch and into the playoffs. Of course, spending some time playing on a line with the AHL's leading scorer didn't hurt, but he certainly wasn't carried.

I think he has the realistic potential to be a skilled 3rd liner. He is a very intelligent player with surprisingly slick hands, works hard on both ends of the ice, and is a hound on the forecheck. He's the kind of player fans will love in a bottom 6, depth scoring role.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I went Sanford, but does Blais start to enter the mix soon? I think it's very open to question whether he ends up a tweener, whether he can handle he physical and defensive parts of the game well enough, etc. Still, it's hard to ignore that he just scored 26 goals in the AHL at age 20.

I've been on record in the past of not really liking his play without the puck in the Q but he did quite a bit better in the AHL last season than I was expecting.

Still, I have him in the next grouping. Definitely Musil but then Toropchenko (who I think we all have to admit we're mostly guessing with him), Mikkola, Blais, Stevens and Lindbohm.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, people are definitely sleeping on Blais. He should be in the conversation for the next few. He put up 43 points in 75 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. That's pretty impressive. Plus 8 points in 10 playoff games. Others who watched him can attest that he improved steadily as the season went along, and ended up being one of the most important forwards for the Wolves down the stretch and into the playoffs. Of course, spending some time playing on a line with the AHL's leading scorer didn't hurt, but he certainly wasn't carried.

I think he has the realistic potential to be a skilled 3rd liner. He is a very intelligent player with surprisingly slick hands, works hard on both ends of the ice, and is a hound on the forecheck. He's the kind of player fans will love in a bottom 6, depth scoring role.

Bolded is a big reason why I am slightly hesitant to talk about Blais this early. If he has another year of the same or better production and continues developing nicely then I'd have no issue voting for him sooner. TBH, I haven't seen him play outside of youtube clips and highlight videos (which he usually looks great in...shocker). Guess I'm just a little worried that his numbers might be at least partially due to the wolves' team success last season and that his track record is pretty short.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Went with Schmaltz.

I agree with the point that Kyrou was the end of a tier. Where I disagree is what the next teir looks like.

IMO the next group is 4 players; Schmaltz, Sanford, Lindbohm and Sundqvist. All 4 have NHL experience and fairly solid upside. Their NHL rediness separates them from the rest of the pack IMO.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schmaltz here easily. And then just for Bluedream, after that it's Sundqvist, Blais, Mikkola, then Musil. After all those we'll have to add Jack Bradford, because I don't see him listed on any of the polls.
Looks like you're going to easily lose the next poll. No surprise. :)

Hoping for a good season from Schmaltz this year. I like him.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Before putting a list together, if someone would've asked me where Schmaltz would be on my list I would've guessed around 5-7. But I have him 10th. The Blues just have a bunch of good (not amazing, not elite) prospects all bunched together.

I see this tier as Sanford, Schmaltz and Sundqvist. All 3 are guys right on the cusp of the NHL. They should make it as support NHLers, but still not a 100% guarantee. I've defended Schmaltz's somewhat slow development for a while. I still like him but I would just place Sanford a hair ahead of him. I've seen Sundqvist a few times but I'd place him behind Sanford as a forward in terms of potential and skill. And he also suffers from unfamiliarity bias if I'm being honest.
I am pretty similar here. The exception is that I have Schmaltz over Sanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad