16th Overall - Sonny Milano

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 12s13 seconds ago
#CBJ first-round pick Sonny Milano has returned to OHL Plymouth. His next medical check will be here in Columbus on Oct. 10.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Figured I'd bump cause the guy just added 15 pounds of muscles over the summer and is up to 205 now. Sounds like he means business. He's a really interesting prospect to me.

Where do Jackets fans see Sonny lining up this season? I'd imagine he starts in the AHL, but does he possibly make his way onto the NHL roster, and if so, how soon? Where does he stack up against guys like Rychel and Bjorkstrand?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Figured I'd bump cause the guy just added 15 pounds of muscles over the summer and is up to 205 now. Sounds like he means business. He's a really interesting prospect to me.

Where do Jackets fans see Sonny lining up this season? I'd imagine he starts in the AHL, but does he possibly make his way onto the NHL roster, and if so, how soon? Where does he stack up against guys like Rychel and Bjorkstrand?

I think the only way Milano sees time in the NHL is if the team needs an added scoring punch. Let's say someone like Saad, Johansen, Atkinson, etc., goes down with injury ... then I think Milano is called upon to add a spark.

But, I don't see the team calling him up in any kind of depth role. Josh Anderson, Michael Chaput, guys like that will see time first. He may even have to wait behind Kerby Rychel, who in my opinion is very close to being ready.

I'd love to see the team leave Milano in the AHL this year, allow him to learn the pro game in big, important minutes, and keep his confidence up. Then, you have an NHL ready prospect that can step into the top-nine in 2016. I think that's been the plan all along.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I agree with SL. Let him get top line minutes in Lake Erie and have a productive year there. Then he can, potentially, slot into Columbus's lineup in 2016-17. Anderson/Chaput/Karlsson will be depth call-ups and Rychel would likely be the call-up in the case we need a top-9 player.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think the only way Milano sees time in the NHL is if the team needs an added scoring punch. Let's say someone like Saad, Johansen, Atkinson, etc., goes down with injury ... then I think Milano is called upon to add a spark.

But, I don't see the team calling him up in any kind of depth role. Josh Anderson, Michael Chaput, guys like that will see time first. He may even have to wait behind Kerby Rychel, who in my opinion is very close to being ready.

I'd love to see the team leave Milano in the AHL this year, allow him to learn the pro game in big, important minutes, and keep his confidence up. Then, you have an NHL ready prospect that can step into the top-nine in 2016. I think that's been the plan all along.

Meh, no offense but you can pretty much copy/paste the bolded for like every prospect. We've seen almost the same post with damn near any skilled prospect. This whole "top minutes" in the AHL (or somewhere other than the NHL) cliche is one of the more annoying things running around now. More and more young players are developing quite nicely at the NHL level in limited roles. Saad only played a small handful of games at the AHL level as did Dano. I could go on and on. More and more teams are realizing that these young players can make a real difference at the NHL level almost immediately.

When Milano comes up he'll likely be in a "depth role" to start. That's what happens when you have good and deep teams.

From what I've seen of Milano he's a very special talent. If he's ready for the NHL I can't say. At least until I see him in camp. If he's ready the team will make room. There are plenty of options for those 13th and 14th forward slots. We are so deep at forward that we can put him with skilled players no matter where he is in the lineup.

We are in an unique situation for this franchise. Let's just let things play themselves out and not worry about tiny things like where our prospects play. Let the front office do their jobs and we do ours; support the team.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I figure it is time to resurrect a Sonny Milano thread. I am sure he will be much discussed all season.

+ Milano plays like he wants to score; Milano can score

- Milano has serious lapses on defense; Milano turns the puck over way too much

He has the talent to be our top line LW, but he needs to show that he is not a liability when he is on the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I figure it is time to resurrect a Sonny Milano thread. I am sure he will be much discussed all season.

+ Milano plays like he wants to score; Milano can score

- Milano has serious lapses on defense; Milano turns the puck over way too much

He has the talent to be our top line LW, but he needs to show that he is not a liability when he is on the ice.

I think we could have a good debate about what his shortfalls are. His defensive zone coverage is actually good in my view, and he's much more effective in battles now that he isn't falling over every shift. His turnovers and long shifts are the issues.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
His desire to create often overcomes what the good, sensible play might be. Up his minutes, try to get him to relax out there and constructively criticize/teach him. And keep him out of bars in NYC...

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think we could have a good debate about what his shortfalls are. His defensive zone coverage is actually good in my view, and he's much more effective in battles now that he isn't falling over every shift. His turnovers and long shifts are the issues.
He’s still falling over every shift, and losing battles though..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s still falling over every shift, and losing battles though..

I see him winning more battles these days, and even laying some heavy hits. Not that it never happens now, but I don't see him flopping over every shift like it used to be.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Milano has been back checking more the last few games. It looks more like he is trying to get back so he can steal the puck from behind instead of getting back and playing solid defense, but it is an improvement.

If Anderson comes back this week it will be interesting to see who sits. I think Milano should stay on the ice. Bemstrom looked better against Chicago. Lilja has 2 assists in the last 3 games. Try Tex at center and sit Nash?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Milano has been back checking more the last few games. It looks more like he is trying to get back so he can steal the puck from behind instead of getting back and playing solid defense, but it is an improvement.

If Anderson comes back this week it will be interesting to see who sits. I think Milano should stay on the ice. Bemstrom looked better against Chicago. Lilja has 2 assists in the last 3 games. Try Tex at center and sit Nash?
Tex should go to center regardless , my guess is Lilja is spectating and waiting for someone to mess up . Nash has a special place in Torts heart .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’ll take the unpopular stance and start out sitting Bemstrom. Lilja (Nash, too) has been more effective in his 4th line role than has Bemstrom in his 3rd.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think it is somewhat ironic that we are averaging 2 goals per game yet we are debating who should sit when Anderson comes back. Seems the obvious answer is “any of the above”.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Another nice goal by this kid. He generates lift and power well when in a seemingly powerless position. Good wrists.

He's being underutilized now. Take the occasional lumps you might get with him and let him play. Does Torts think he's helping build character in the kid? Seems like a grudge. Grow up John. You're better than that.. I think.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The string of 1 goal games is part of the reason Milano is getting the ice time he is. He is pretty risky to play in the third period of a tied game or if we have a 1 goal lead.

He made 2 beautiful offensive plays last night (goal and pass to Anderson) and 1 play in the defensive zone that was brutal and led to a goal.

I think Torts is using him correctly for now. He knows what he has to do to get more ice time. I think Torts is giving him a longer leash than he used to — he didn’t get benched after the Carolina goal.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I cant tell if that's amazement or disdain...

Neither can anyone on this board.

However, that will not halt any poster here from declaring authoritatively what is being thought and the next coaching moves that will result. Most clairvoyant group you would ever want to meet.

Reactions: thebus88 and koteka

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Neither can anyone on this board.

However, that will not halt any poster here from declaring authoritatively what is being thought and the next coaching moves that will result. Most clairvoyant group you would ever want to meet.
I know. Not only can we reliably detect what the coach is thinking, we can reliably detect what we ourselves are thinking. It's spooky! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->