Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I'd have to imagine that the avs will want him to bolster the NHL squad once his college season ends (be it this one or the next) & he's ready to sign his ELC. As opposed to signing him to bolster the Eagles playoff hopes.

Hopefully that means they're willing to be patient if he needs a 2nd college season.
What choice do the Avs have if he wants to stay another year at BC? Not being a jerk just wondering if they have any leverage in that situation

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd be surprised if the Avs even wanted Newhook after his season ends this year. They've got good depth up front at both center and wing. They can just let him marinate.

Byram I can see maybe getting a look if his season ends early, and they have some injuries or trades that make room on the left side, but I feel like they'll let Newhook get a 2nd year in the NCAA. Push his 2nd contract down the road a bit.

If he starts his pro career in 2021-22, he'll still be on a cheap ELC for the first season of Nate's next contract.

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
I'd be surprised if the Avs even wanted Newhook after his season ends this year. They've got good depth up front at both center and wing. They can just let him marinate.

Byram I can see maybe getting a look if his season ends early, and they have some injuries or trades that make room on the left side, but I feel like they'll let Newhook get a 2nd year in the NCAA. Push his 2nd contract down the road a bit.

If he starts his pro career in 2021-22, he'll still be on a cheap ELC for the first season of Nate's next contract.

The Jost lesson has been learned. Hopefully he has a good second season and can jump in a playoff run. He could work best for us as a winger

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Didn’t see much of Newhook on the ice so it looks like BC is spoon feeding him into the lineup.

Even during the 48 point season my mantra was I don’t care how bad the team sucks, I hope they never rush a prospect. It applies just as well now with the talented roster.

Early returns suggest a second year in school would help.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
For all this talk about the "Tyson Jost lesson" we're also forgetting about the Will Butcher lesson. It's important to listen to what the player and his camp want to do as well. I don't think the Avs were crazy for wanting to sign him after his freshman year, ultimately he decided what was best for him and his development. Conversely, Butcher wanted to sign after (I think) his junior season, at which point Roy completely botched things. If Newhook wants to make the jump at the end of his first season, I don't think it should be automatic, but I think it needs to be taken into consideration.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For all this talk about the "Tyson Jost lesson" we're also forgetting about the Will Butcher lesson. It's important to listen to what the player and his camp want to do as well. I don't think the Avs were crazy for wanting to sign him after his freshman year, ultimately he decided what was best for him and his development. Conversely, Butcher wanted to sign after (I think) his junior season, at which point Roy completely botched things. If Newhook wants to make the jump at the end of his first season, I don't think it should be automatic, but I think it needs to be taken into consideration.

To me it is much different between a freshman that wants to come out versus a junior. The worst threat a freshman can make is that he will stay there for 3 more seasons then pick his destination. A junior can say just one.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
To me it is much different between a freshman that wants to come out versus a junior. The worst threat a freshman can make is that he will stay there for 3 more seasons then pick his destination. A junior can say just one.

I wasn't really looking at it through any sort of "leverage" the player has or doesn't have, just whether or not the player desires to turn pro, and whether or not the team thinks he's ready. The thing about the Butcher situation was that Roy appeared to communicate to his camp that not only was he not signing him that summer, but that he wasn't signing him period.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wasn't really looking at it through any sort of "leverage" the player has or doesn't have, just whether or not the player desires to turn pro, and whether or not the team thinks he's ready. The thing about the Butcher situation was that Roy appeared to communicate to his camp that not only was he not signing him that summer, but that he wasn't signing him period.

I still don't really buy that. It doesn't make sense, and we're relying on the interpretation from Butcher (who always had a chip on his shoulder) and Chambers.

Between the two of them, I'd bet whatever was said got twisted.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We all knew that Newhook was at least a two-year college commitment, I think he could play more minutes than what BC is giving him, but I would be a bit surprised if he's able to develop into having a Tyson Jost PPG season as an underdeveloped physically freshman.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We all knew that Newhook was at least a two-year college commitment, I think he could play more minutes than what BC is giving him, but I would be a bit surprised if he's able to develop into having a Tyson Jost PPG season as an underdeveloped physically freshman.

Also doesn't have Boeser right next to him. I love Boldy, but he's not that sort of scoring threat. I really hope the Avs give him an extra season. It would simply be the best thing for him and the Avs can manage without him just fine, maybe even better if they make a move.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree, he should definitely play two years in the NCAA. But they should definitely listen IF he feels he's ready (and then try and very tactfully persuade him to do one more year of college).

More likely the Avs respond with, "Alright, here's a contract, an airline ticket, and some film. You'll be playing next to Kadri on Tuesday."

Reactions: Ta85 and Pokecheque

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't think it matters much. If he wants to sign after one year of college, fine - welcome to the Eagles, Alex.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He was very good last night. Showed a lot of creativity with the puck and and his willingness to hold onto the puck a little extra longer was giving his linemates a lot of opportunities to find free ice as he drew the attention of Defenders quite a bit.

Though I thought his PP usage didnt really work great. He played the high bumper spot for his unit but the guys he was with seemed to have very little interest in moving the puck towards the middle of the ice. Lots of perimeter passing and shooting so Newhook didn't really get utilized much in his spot.

I also wouldnt really call him a Center. Especially defensively where hes quite clearly being used as a Winger while Rasanen is the more involved in the play guy defensively on that line.

But still, they looked quite good as a line last night. You can definitely see some chemistry building between them. They're a big part of BCs winning streak right now.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->