Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He needs to put on a bit of size, and it’s safer in college. He can also light it up
I liked this post simply because I can now but Newhook does not need to put on any size. He needs to grow into his mans body of course like any teenager but he doesn’t need to do anything crazy like bulking in the offseason. He’s already a very thick kid and any additional weight will likely affect his skating.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Might be crazy talk, but what if the Avs sign Newhook and he plays next season in the AHL, with a 9 game stint with the Avs*?

*assuming that this doesn’t burn a year off of his ELC. If someone could clarify that would be great.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I liked this post simply because I can now but Newhook does not need to put on any size. He needs to grow into his mans body of course like any teenager but he doesn’t need to do anything crazy like bulking in the offseason. He’s already a very thick kid and any additional weight will likely affect his skating.
You had us all at thick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Abruzzese will be hard to catch and keep up with, but he’s also 20 years old and that’s why he was taken in the 4th round.

Newhook is ahead of Caufield/Zegras/Turcotte/Boldy/etc. and that’s truly his competition.

And running away with it now as well.

Caufield is 2nd in the pack with 34 points in 32 games. Followed by Zegras at 33 in 30 games.

Newhook after tonights game is at 39 in 31 games. I seriously wouldn't rule 50 points out for him yet. A big rival game against BU Saturday night, the type of game he has shown up and dominated so far this year. And a weekend series against a weaker New Hampshire team to close our the regular season. So that's 3 games where I think especially how he's playing so far he could hit 5-6 points in those 3 games.

Then it's playoff time. Where BC is one of the best in the country and a serious contender to make it to the frozen four. So if they go on a deep run he's potentially looking at anywhere from 8-10 more games on the year. 50 point is not out of the question IMO.

Someone with better knowledge than I on the topic can probably answer this... But I think the last time a true college freshman put up 50 points was Eichel back in 2015 when he hit 71. But I'm not certain of that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And running away with it now as well.

Caufield is 2nd in the pack with 34 points in 32 games. Followed by Zegras at 33 in 30 games.

Newhook after tonights game is at 39 in 31 games. I seriously wouldn't rule 50 points out for him yet. A big rival game against BU Saturday night, the type of game he has shown up and dominated so far this year. And a weekend series against a weaker New Hampshire team to close our the regular season. So that's 3 games where I think especially how he's playing so far he could hit 5-6 points in those 3 games.

Then it's playoff time. Where BC is one of the best in the country and a serious contender to make it to the frozen four. So if they go on a deep run he's potentially looking at anywhere from 8-10 more games on the year. 50 point is not out of the question IMO.

Someone with better knowledge than I on the topic can probably answer this... But I think the last time a true college freshman put up 50 points was Eichel back in 2015 when he hit 71. But I'm not certain of that.
I thought Keller did but I just checked and he had 45 in 31.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Any chance he is riding the coat tails of a superior teammate? Like Jost with Boeser or Duchene with Hodgson.

source.gif

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
Any chance he is riding the coat tails of a superior teammate? Like Jost with Boeser or Duchene with Hodgson.
Newhook was playing well and putting up good numbers with Hardman and Rasannen on his wings. Boldy was snakebite until he replaced Rasannen.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Abruzzese will be hard to catch and keep up with, but he’s also 20 years old and that’s why he was taken in the 4th round.
What happens if the unbelievable happens and he catches him? Or Abruzzese slows down, because he's only pacing him, he's actually got 37 in 27 right?

Imagine if they had this kid at 2C from the start?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad