Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
Datsyuk spent two years in Russia following his draft as the Red Wings wanted to give him time to gain a lot more size and continue working on his game. And then when he came to the NHL, they had Larionov help him fine tune his defensive game. Datsyuk was actually quite 'old' by today's standards before he made his NHL debut as he was 23.

I'm not trying to say that had Jost has the potential to be a HOF or that with more time in the AHL that he'll be a guaranteed improved player, but I do believe the timing of when a player is brought into the NHL has some bearing on their overall development as a player. Just like there are some players who are special and can easily improve no matter how garbage the personnel, there are some players who in a different timeline could've developed into much better NHLers had they spent more time in their late teens / early 20s fine-tuning the flaws in their game in an easier environment with proper tutelage.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Datsyuk spent two years in Russia following his draft as the Red Wings wanted to give him time to gain a lot more size and continue working on his game. And then when he came to the NHL, they had Larionov help him fine tune his defensive game. Datsyuk was actually quite 'old' by today's standards before he made his NHL debut as he was 23.

I'm not trying to say that had Jost has the potential to be a HOF or that with more time in the AHL that he'll be a guaranteed improved player, but I do believe the timing of when a player is brought into the NHL has some bearing on their overall development as a player. Just like there are some players who are special and can easily improve no matter how garbage the personnel, there are some players who in a different timeline could've developed into much better NHLers had they spent more time in their late teens / early 20s fine-tuning the flaws in their game in an easier environment with proper tutelage.
The difference is that Datsyuk is one of the smartest and most skilled players to ever grace the NHL all while still being a significantly better skater than Jost. Jost has decent smarts, average skills, below average size and skating.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I see the Barzal comparison thrown around quite a bit these days, by (unbiased) non-Avs related people, too.

If he ever becomes that level of center in the NHL...man.

Fun fact: Barzal was also a 16th overall pick.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I see the Barzal comparison thrown around quite a bit these days, by (unbiased) non-Avs related people, too.

If he ever becomes that level of center in the NHL...man.

Fun fact: Barzal was also a 16th overall pick.
I would love a 2nd line C version of Barzal. I don't see the 1st line ability in Newhook but a damn good 2c definitely looks possible.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This kid is a lot better than I expected this year. Absolutely on fire this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maybe I am wrong, but at this point I wonder if Avs try to sign him in the offseason? I would hope it would be for his development and he spends a season or two in the AHL, but at this point you cannot argue against his numbers. I watched him in that game and he was definitely the best player out there.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Maybe I am wrong, but at this point I wonder if Avs try to sign him in the offseason? I would hope it would be for his development and he spends a season or two in the AHL, but at this point you cannot argue against his numbers. I watched him in that game and he was definitely the best player out there.
Newhook won't play 2 seasons in the AHL. Probably won't play more than a few games at the end of a season (either this one or next one). He's destined for the NHL sooner than later.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad