Prospect Info: 16th Overall, Alex Newhook, Victoria Grizzlies, C, BCHL

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya. I was joking with a couple of my buddies the other day about how the Avs could find themselves with a chance to draft another Newfie next summer. One of them made the comment that he'd basically just become an instant Avs fan if we did that and had 2 Newfies with high upside.

I actually said that I would hope by this time next year that we wouldnt have any Newfies because I would much prefer using our 1st rounder and Newhook on a Legit Top 6 forward and Top 4 Defender for a cup run this year :laugh:

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I've Jost been disappointed before when it comes to players excelling in college.

I was on the main board sorting through 8 pages worth of posts on who is your team's worst player. Graves, Cole and Barberio. Honestly, I thought that's not too bad because they haven't been God awful all of the time though the injuries and playing with AHL players is beginning to take it's toll.

But you know what was interesting. No one was hating on Burakovsky or Jost. Especially Jost. I still need to see more production from Jost but we need everyone back soon.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I Jost hope the Avs learned their lesson on rushing a 1st round pick after their freshman year.

This is the important part.

Cant help but wonder what kind of a player Jost could have turned into with another year in College to keep working on that offensive game. Instead he went to the NHL, was immediately put into a more defensive role on the team and basically never got the opportunity to truly develop as an offensive guy.

And now we're most likely stuck with a pretty average 3rd liner instead of possibly a 2nd line guy.

And ya tbh I see a lot of similarities with Newhook to Jost right now. I think Newhook is surprising people and exceeding expectations for a freshman straight out of the BCHL like Jost did, he's fond chemistry with a linemate and proving to be quite productive early like Jost was(With Boeser)... And they're two similarly framed guys with fairly similar strengths and weaknesses IMO.

I think there's a legitimate high end 2nd line upside player in Newhook. But if the Avs dont trade him its extremely important they give him the proper time to develop those offensive instincts. Whether that's 2 years in College, 1 year in College followed by 1 year in the AHL, or maybe it is just 1 year in College and then straight into the NHL. But whatever it is the Avs need to make sure they get it right with Alex and dont make a rushed decision. Take the time to make sure its the right one.

What would really be fantastic is for Newhook himself to go to Colorado and tell them he wants a 2nd year in College.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Only because a certain smurf made the right Cale. If he hadn't been such a good decision-Makar, our FO would be 2 for 2 ;-)

Given how well he played jumping straight into the playoffs last year, and his PPG+ numbers this year, I'm not convinced Makar wasn't ready last year.

If he had a full season to get comfortable before that playoff run, who knows if they still lose game 7. Sakic might have been able to say he Caled it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Given how well he played jumping straight into the playoffs last year, and his PPG+ numbers this year, I'm not convinced Makar wasn't ready last year.

If he had a full season to get comfortable before that playoff run, who knows if they still lose game 7. Sakic might have been able to say he Caled it.

Touché, though I'd suggest that Cale jumping straight into the playoffs with such success was because he had gotten a 2nd season in college to establish his game at that next level, before taking on an even greater challenge. Without that full season of absolute dominance at the college level we may have gotten a whole year of the uncertain Cale that we saw to begin this season, with him not having that knowledge that his skillset is insanely special and not just special for the AJHL...or not.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Love the kid. Especially the person on the inside. He’s exceeding my early expectations as a hockey player as well.

In saying that, i’d ship him off for immediate help in a heartbeat if given the opportunity.

You only say that 'cause he's made of Newfie-stuff ;)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He's had a very good freshman campaign. I'm more of a fan of his now than I was 6 months ago.

I just really hope the Avs are smart about this and keep him in College for a 2nd year. Or I hope Newhook is smart enough to make that decision for himself like Cale did.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He's had a very good freshman campaign. I'm more of a fan of his now than I was 6 months ago.

I just really hope the Avs are smart about this and keep him in College for a 2nd year. Or I hope Newhook is smart enough to make that decision for himself like Cale did.
If Stan Kroenke himself offered Newhook a stock in his company under the table to join the Avs after this season he would probably still decline and go back to BC.

If money, or playing in the NHL as early as possible was part of Newhook’s plan at all, he would have been in Halifax years ago.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IIRC his sister is joining BC as well next year and didn't he say he wanted to be at school one year with her? If he does go pro next season I hope he at least starts the season in the AHL. With that said if he joins the Avs right away next season the one thing he has on Jost is more speed. That alone might help him avoid what Jost is going through and have a much better transition to the NHL.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is the important part.

Cant help but wonder what kind of a player Jost could have turned into with another year in College to keep working on that offensive game. Instead he went to the NHL, was immediately put into a more defensive role on the team and basically never got the opportunity to truly develop as an offensive guy.

And now we're most likely stuck with a pretty average 3rd liner instead of possibly a 2nd line guy.

And ya tbh I see a lot of similarities with Newhook to Jost right now. I think Newhook is surprising people and exceeding expectations for a freshman straight out of the BCHL like Jost did, he's fond chemistry with a linemate and proving to be quite productive early like Jost was(With Boeser)... And they're two similarly framed guys with fairly similar strengths and weaknesses IMO.

I think there's a legitimate high end 2nd line upside player in Newhook. But if the Avs dont trade him its extremely important they give him the proper time to develop those offensive instincts. Whether that's 2 years in College, 1 year in College followed by 1 year in the AHL, or maybe it is just 1 year in College and then straight into the NHL. But whatever it is the Avs need to make sure they get it right with Alex and dont make a rushed decision. Take the time to make sure its the right one.

What would really be fantastic is for Newhook himself to go to Colorado and tell them he wants a 2nd year in College.

The Avs botched his development, yes, but this is the form Jost would’ve taken in the NHL regardless. There’s still a prevailing myth you can “ruin” a prospect’s development, when really, all an organization can do is delay or speed up the process.

He’s just not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->