Prospect Info: 166th overall — LW Julius Vähätalo

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
Hearing he was passed over last year. Sounds like he demolished his junior team.

Could be another Bodin, but he's made it a lot farther than Bodin did already. Size and skill? Looks like a potential sleeper pick.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Hearing he was passed over last year. Sounds like he demolished his junior team.

Could be another Bodin, but he's made it a lot farther than Bodin did already. Size and skill? Looks like a potential sleeper pick.

I like the pick. If Chad had him on his list I am comfortable with the pick. It might amount to nothing - in fact that't the most likely scenario - but at least he has the potential to be another late round steal.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Reading the RWC write up makes me think of Tvrdon what with all the injuries. Hope he ends up being better than Marek up to this point.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
He's yet to play any games at the international level but will make his U20 debut in August at the Lake Placid tournament vs USA (Larkin?) and SWE (Holmström). Games should be streamed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@KyleWIIM
Julius Vahatalo told he he has two more years on his contract in Finland. After that, he wants to be here in North America.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Seems like a good time to bring this topic up.

I have great news to you Wings fans, because Vähätalo is really starting to have a breakout season in the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). He looked great in the pre-season, and has been very good in the past regular season games. Currently riding on a 3 game goal streak and has 4+2 in the past 5 games. His speed and mobility has improved drastically and is starting to learn to use his gigantic reach as an advantage. Too early to tell, if there's much NHL potential, but these kind of 6'6"-6'7" forwards don't come too often with this kind of skills and mobility, so he is an interesting prospect. There are many areas he needs to work on, but I think there's room for him to grow. And a patient organization such as the Red Wings is a perfect fit for him to achieve his full potential.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Seems like a good time to bring this topic up.

I have great news to you Wings fans, because Vähätalo is really starting to have a breakout season in the Finnish Elite League (Liiga). He looked great in the pre-season, and has been very good in the past regular season games. Currently riding on a 3 game goal streak and has 4+2 in the past 5 games. His speed and mobility has improved drastically and is starting to learn to use his gigantic reach as an advantage. Too early to tell, if there's much NHL potential, but these kind of 6'6"-6'7" forwards don't come too often with this kind of skills and mobility, so he is an interesting prospect. There are many areas he needs to work on, but I think there's room for him to grow. And a patient organization such as the Red Wings is a perfect fit for him to achieve his full potential.

Nice! Thanks for the info! What kind of player is he? Is he good defensively too?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'd say Vähätalo is mix of Malkin and Getzlaf. But guys who know better could give some more info

I guess that's an ok player. :laugh:

The Wings have until 2018 to sign him correct? If so I could see them letting him play 1 more year in Finland and then bringing him over for the 2017-2018 season though of he keeps up his pace from this season he may make the trek next year.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Wuhu! Love some big forwards in the pipeline. Was excited about Bodin but he sorta fell off the map. Nice another guy is making waves

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Vähätalo moves from TPS to Jukurit in Finnish Elite League.

I hope this change of scenery will do miracles for him. :)

http://www.jatkoaika.com/Uutiset/jukureille-nuori-hyökkääjä-tpsstä-vähätalo-matkaa-mikkeliin/189569

Translated from coach Dufva:

"He has some goal-scoring potential, and we would like to get that skill out in next season's challenges."

Julius about the transfer:

"I wanted to come to Jukurit to develop and steal a bigger role in offensive corps."

I like this move. Stanley Cup -winner-pest Ville Nieminen is an assistant coach down there in St. Michel and his NHL experience will be a real asset for Vähätalo's development. I can already see him as a huge net-front guy for Jukurit, Dufva absolutely loves those kind of role players always on his systems. And Nieminen really can help on that area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->