16 y.o. Alexander Orekhov in a coma after an on ice incident [passed away on 02.02]

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I know it's technically not a KHL thread, but this forum is at least semi-popular, and this matter is important not as is, but due to circumstances as well.

[translated]

16 year old forward Alexander Orekhov, Metallurg Novokuznetsk junior team captain, suffered a severe injury during a JHL match against Sibir on January 16th in Novosibirsk.

During a regular play, a puck struck Orekhov in his neck just below an ear. He suffered a ruptured carotid, a broken vertebra and a cardiac arrest. CPR was performed immediately, and he was hospitalized to the ICU of Novosibirsk City Hospital #1.

He's now in a coma and being assessed if transportable to Moscow. Right now he's not expected to survive the transport, and it's likely that necessary surgery will be performed in Novosibirsk, but if his conition becomes stable, he'll be moved to Moscow.

Coach Alexey Zuev:
"Puck struck him in the neck right behind the ear. The boy collapsed immediately, his heart stopped, but doctors were able to reanimate him. Skoraya didn't come soon enough and a lot of time was lost."

http://sport-42.ru/news/detail/20589/

What concerns me most is this quote:

Svetlana Medvedeva, mother of Orekhov's teammate Alexander Medvedev:

"I'm angered over how the medical care was organized in this competition. The Skoraya brigade that was keeping watch wasn't ready for an incident like that. A very young doctor was not sure what to do, so the parents had to rush to the ice and perform the first aid. The brigade nad no equipment for a case like that. The IC Skoraya brigade that came on call wasn't prepared as well.

http://nk-tv.net/2016/01/15/chp-v-novosibirske-s-nashim-hokkeistom-pechalnye-podrobnosti.html

You know what, I always defend the Russian hockey system, and you could say that some of this stuff is exaggerated, but, unfortunately, it's 99,9% not. "Linear" urgent care brigades are sent to the events like that (junior games etc.), and they are very poorly equipped even in 2016, and it's totally expected for a well-equipped brigade not to come soon enough because it's Novosib. This was really the last drop for me, as we're just a week removed from a former Kuznya alumni, a VHL player Sergey Simonov dying just hours after his last practice due to a ruprured spleen (imagine this as a death cause in 2016). I definitely expect the FHR to step up and force changes in medical care, hockey is generally a sport where severe injuries are quite common.

Last edited:

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Horrible news. Please keep us up-to-date Acallabeth, if news, hopefully the good ones, keep coming. This reminded me of Boston Pride's Denna Laing who suffered a severe spinal injury just recently... I am not quite familiar with youth system and measures taken in Russia but according to those news you shared, it's very obvious there is a huge neglection.

It's really sad to see many players getting injured seriously here and there. Not only in Russia but in general, something must be done and hockey injuries should be taken more seriously.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
My deepest condolences. Well that sounds weird, as if someone close to him reads here but again, I think that's what has to be said after such a horrible event. I hope the authorities will draw conclusions from this tragedy and never ever something like that will happen. Unbelievable.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
What a terrible tragedy! The circumstances seem hauntingly familiar to the Cherepanov tragedy a few years ago. Hockey management people have to get this tragic lack of emergency care fixed immediately!

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Царствие небесное.

I can only echo the words of hope that this tragedy will change something...

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Ugh. Did not want to read that.

Condolences to his loved ones, I can't even begin to imagine the horror. Way too young.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Terrible news. Such a tragedy. He was too young and he had so much potential to maybe one day be a great NHL player. He could have been drafted next year. My thoughts and prayers to his family. May he RIP.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Some controversy. The investigation claims that Sasha wasn't wearing the neck protector when he was hit by the puck, which is denied by the team:

[translated]

team coach Yuri Zuev said:
The protector 100% was on Alexander in the moment of injury. Sasha is a team captain, he participated in the handhake ceremony with the officials and the opposing team captain. He simply wouldn't be allowed to play if he didn't have the protector on.

Vladislav Maksyukov, who was the closest to Alexander Orekhov when he was injured, saw that Sasha wasn't breathing and started to untie his helmet. Then Pavel Sitnikov arrived and removed Alexander's neck protector to make it easier for him to breathe. Pavel said he had personally removed that protector. As the captain, Alexander reminded the boys in the locker room not to forget to put the neck protectors on before the game.

teammate Sergey Schukin said:
I can confirm this [that the proctector was on Orekhov], as I was on the ice when the puck hit our captain. Anyone who was there will confirm this.

People trying to cover their **** ups by blaming it on the kid.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Neck protectors are not even for hard hits. It makes no difference when you get hit in the neck by a puck. The guy's family and the dude who shot him... I feel for them. This stupid statement is an insult to injury.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Some controversy. The investigation claims that Sasha wasn't wearing the neck protector when he was hit by the puck, which is denied by the team:

[translated]

People trying to cover their **** ups by blaming it on the kid.

I'm not sure that there is a neck protector on the market that would protect against impact though. Those guards are designed to protect against lacerations. There would need to be a major redesign of neck guards in the wake of this.

Acallabeth

Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Fortunately, these accidents aren't always fatal. A very similar tragedy nearly occured a couple of days ago, when a 2001 born Ivan Sapunov was hit by a puck ion his neck in a Kuznya Jr vs Altay match. The kid was knocked out, but recieved medical help and is now recovering.

http://sport-42.ru/news/detail/22033/

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure that there is a neck protector on the market that would protect against impact though. Those guards are designed to protect against lacerations. There would need to be a major redesign of neck guards in the wake of this.

In truth, you'd need something fairly rigid that can absorb most of the energy from the impact. I'm sure the hockey equipment manufacturers could come up with something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad