GDT: #16| Pens vs. Caps|Tue, Feb. 23 - 7:00PM (COA)|Pens Jukebox Play list|"UM Style!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Hopefully this isn't as shit as the last game we played the Caps. Hope to see Kapanen have a big bounce back too.

Kappy playing his best could possibly considered Vrana-lite. Hoping he brings it in this one as well.

The gf is making me share a bottle of Costco brand Moscato with her. So this ought to be an interesting game

Gonna go lift and hit the bike in prep to get crunk.

Lets Go Pens. Lets see some "stick-to-it-tiv-ness"?

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
You never realize how awful our division is to watch until you have to watch them 24/7, and sure, swap in Boston and take out Carolina for extra fun. I really miss seeing teams like Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and Arizona.

But the Caps are a special level of bad to watch. They look like they're all just playing for a tie until they can get on the PP.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
ugh

do we have to do this everytime some is benched or demoted for a game.

He sucked out loud on saturday.
I don't like the inconsistency. Coach is supposed to treat players as equals. Why has Malkin never been benched yet? Zucker? ERod when he was nuking the first line?

Kapanen's at 55 corsi and a +6. 7 points in 13 games, driving a lot of that offense himself...playing with disinterested Geno and Zucker who's slacking over half the games.

I don't agree he was terrible at all on Saturday. Had 2 shots. Didn't get scored on. Certainly not much worse than most of our Forwards. Isles dominated that game. Shots were 35-18.

My question is why isn't he being used on special teams? The PP and PK are 25th in the NHL, and he has usable skills for both units.

Reactions: ownal and RSPens

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I understand that when a game isn't going the coaches way, that they basically have 3 options 1) Try a different strategy 2) Mix up the lines or 3) Do nothing and hope the team gets on track. On Saturday Sully tried option 2, mainly because I don't know if he is capable of option 1. Now the team got the result they needed, but I really think that this was in spite of what Sully did and not because of it. The Pens have 2 superstars (yes Letang, Rust, Jake...could be considered as well) Sid and Geno. For some reason this team has always treated these 2 guys differently. One gets whatever he wants and the other gets whatever Sid doesn't want. I'm not going to pretend that Sid has been unbelievable this season, but he has been consistent. So essentially the team has had a great 3rd line, a first line because of Sid (Jake hasn't been great) and a rover that seems to play well anywhere (Rust). Yet when the team faces a hint of adversity, Sully blenders almost everything, including the 3rd line, except for the one pairing that everyone can see doesn't work, Zucker and Geno. Unless Sid is threatening to ask for a trade, how can they not at least for a game try Zucker/Sid and Jake/Geno? I mean the worst case is that it doesn't improve Geno and for some reason Sid pouts and loses his consistency (until he gets his buddy back). But look at what can be gained...Malkin may wake up, Zucker may start shooting, Jake might wake up...the Pens may then have 3 lines that are killing it and only a 4th line to worry about. Wouldn't that be nice.

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't like the inconsistency. Coach is supposed to treat players as equals. Why has Malkin never been benched yet? Zucker? ERod when he was nuking the first line?

Kapanen's at 55 corsi and a +6. 7 points in 13 games, driving a lot of that offense himself...playing with disinterested Geno and Zucker who's slacking over half the games.

I don't agree he was terrible at all on Saturday. Had 2 shots. Didn't get scored on. Certainly not much worse than most of our Forwards. Isles dominated that game. Shots were 35-18.

My question is why isn't he being used on special teams? The PP and PK are 25th in the NHL, and he has usable skills for both units.
But players will NOT be treated as equals. They aren't just chips on a board you move around. Although I myself would prefer that they would be perceived as such.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The PK being so ass despite a plethora of players who supposedly are great pkers remains one of this season’s most puzzling mysteries.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

A coach is not supposed to treat players equally. Period. Full stop.

What-about ___ is not an excuse. Because Zucker, ERod and whoever else you want to talk about has nothing to do with Kapanen.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
There's a few who we were told were signed especially because they could PK! :laugh:
I don't know about "especially", but Kapanen was a widely recognized strong PK'er with a threat element.

He has played 1:01 of PK since arriving. Jankowski is at 35:33 for example.

I would also try Zucker, to try and keep him more engaged in the game. He's at 0:07 on the season.

Don't really care about balancing out ice time distribution if the 4th liners can't get the job done.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The PK being so ass despite a plethora of players who supposedly are great pkers remains one of this season’s most puzzling mysteries.

Our PK set up is terrible. Way too much room for teams and not enough pressure

Reactions: Trade

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The forwards are very slow at challenging the point men, and most importantly we surrender controlled zone entries easier than any Penguins team in memory.

This has been part of our main system for years. It's Sully's "strategy" for insulating our defensemen and goalie. Coincidentally we "don't play well" when we do it.

Reactions: Andy99

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
This has been part of our main system for years. It's Sully's "strategy" for insulating our defensemen and goalie. Coincidentally we "don't play well" when we do it.

We don't back off this much on the PK that I ever remember.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Hopefully there's a continuation of the high forwards in the defensive zone and the high defenseman in the neutral zone from last game. Otherwise Sully can F off.

Yeah, it was actually nice to see them challenge up high with the Forwards.

That PK tho...

Reactions: cygnus47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->