Post-Game Talk: #16| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 18th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-1

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
I don't understand this. As a coach, Barry is one of the greats. But when it comes to young talent, he doesn't get it. He was playing fine before he got scratched, and then Komarov shits the bed and when asked about him he said "Leo was working hard, I have no complaints from him."

I don't understand. Kieffer isn't perfect. But he's young and has a ton more upside than some of the guys who has played over him.

Agreed, and to have nothing to say about Nelson, Leddy even Bailey? Leddy looks lost sometimes, Nelson and Bailey, especially Nelson look disinterested, lazy

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't understand this. As a coach, Barry is one of the greats. But when it comes to young talent, he doesn't get it. He was playing fine before he got scratched, and then Komarov shits the bed and when asked about him he said "Leo was working hard, I have no complaints from him."

I don't understand. Kieffer isn't perfect. But he's young and has a ton more upside than some of the guys who has played over him.
Sometimes you expect more from talented players than less talented ones? I don't know, but great coaches from my experience are not always fuzzy, they keep you on edge. Also some guys respond to criticism, some respond to being built up, and just when you get full of yourself, the coach will ground you when you think you are all it. I got to think Barry knows how to motivate his players, what is best for them. Dobson may be the sensitive type, and you can't be harsh with him. It's a fine line. You can't pick favourites, everyone should be treated as equals, some of the vets by tenure get the benefit of doubt. If I was a rookie in a new organization, I know I would have to work twice as hard to stick, to gain the bosses trust. It's just the way it is in the corporate world. I see hockey as similar. Bellows comes from good hockey genes, maybe he gets on the phone with his dad, and ask what happened? Hopefully Brian will tell him the coach just wants you to play to your 1st rd talent. I think he is coming, but still 8gp no points, not blaming him. But something has to give here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
On the otherhand heard Trotz compliment Wahlstrom, where at the end of the interview said he and Beau have a spot when the PP was discussed, said Wally was strong on the puck and had a great shot.

Reactions: BillD

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I heavily disagree here. I have not seen anything in Bellows' game this season to warrant anything other than a belief in a potential third liner. He has a good shot and will hit and that is about it.

Trotz is putting a young Dobson is all types of situations, Wahlstrom is getting ample playing time next to Pageau and Beauvillier, Pelech and Pulock were given all the chances in the world when Trotz first came here, etc.

Maybe Bellows just is not that good.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
3 way tie for 2nd place between the Isles, Caps, and Flyers with 19 points each.

One way or another they probably want to try and have as close to 8 points as possible vs Pit by end of season because I feel Boston Philly and Washington are in the top 3 for sure. The Isles and Pens probably fight for the last spot and going 1-6-1 against them might be a problem though it’s evident Pittsburgh’s D is being torched by just about every other team in this division

Reactions: Strummergas

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Picture this being mayfield on Crosby. Is that a major? I’m not necessarily saying it should have been but that’s a dangerous hit

Much worse than the one Komarov got 5 for in his first game this year.

Reactions: JKP

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Disappointed in the outcome. Big rivalry game, likely a team they will have to beat out to make the playoffs. Better win Saturday.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Bellows did not play well at all I am not sure why everyone is so surprised at Trotz comments.

lovejoy3.jpg

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I don't kiss BT's ring to the degree that many do around here, but he does have a HOF track record and since coaching in the NHL is as much coaching young talent as it is anything else, I don't how you can make such a comment.

BT has proven himself to not be rash regardless of how big a win or how bad a loss and so it is safe to assume that he said what he said about Bellows with a purpose. A purpose that he perhaps might not think would be as productive for another player.

Reactions: Big L

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I heavily disagree here. I have not seen anything in Bellows' game this season to warrant anything other than a belief in a potential third liner. He has a good shot and will hit and that is about it.

Trotz is putting a young Dobson is all types of situations, Wahlstrom is getting ample playing time next to Pageau and Beauvillier, Pelech and Pulock were given all the chances in the world when Trotz first came here, etc.

Maybe Bellows just is not that good.

I'm beginning to believe, like you, that Bellows may not have top 6 potential.

But it's still early in the season and I'm afraid he'll get buried on the bench. Since he's expansion draft eligible, he may get selected. If he continues to underwhelm, no great loss.

OTOH, if he does grow into a top 6 role, the franchise will be sorry they didn't lose one of the other $5M+ contracts that are weighing on them now and will hamstring them for several years in the future.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
was the goal on Bellows or Pelech?
Pelech didn’t prevent the pass out front. So there’s that, but who’s guy was that ? Looks like both Bellows and Wally were out there at the same time( mid line change?). Zucker was technically Wallys guy ( LW) but he threw a check against the boards and Zucker headed to the net. In that defensive system I guess Bellows had to head him off to the net?

Whatever the case, there were a Couple of breakdowns there and Bellows will remember to cover that slot in Trotz’s system.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm beginning to believe, like you, that Bellows may not have top 6 potential.

But it's still early in the season and I'm afraid he'll get buried on the bench. Since he's expansion draft eligible, he may get selected. If he continues to underwhelm, no great loss.

OTOH, if he does grow into a top 6 role, the franchise will be sorry they didn't lose one of the other $5M+ contracts that are weighing on them now and will hamstring them for several years in the future.
What I gathered from Trotz's comments, and if you listen closely, is he is starting to trust Wahlstrom more than Bellows. I think this is becoming very clear. How this bodes down the line, I don't know. But I am starting to see that Wahlstrom may be the young winger that Trotz is going to depend on going fwd, not unless Bellows finds another gear. Holmstrom looks like he has a year of AHL. Right now Wahlstrom is winning the young winger competition.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Pelech didn’t prevent the pass out front. So there’s that, but who’s guy was that ? Looks like both Bellows and Wally were out there at the same time( mid line change?). Zucker was technically Wallys guy ( LW) but he threw a check against the boards and Zucker headed to the net. In that defensive system I guess Bellows had to head him off to the net?

Whatever the case, there were a Couple of breakdowns there and Bellows will remember to cover that slot in Trotz’s system.

Bellows guy - he was with Zucker and then just let him go at the most vulnerable area in front of the net. STopped moving his legs and just tried to lazily lift his stick. You are correct there seems to be a couple of other sloppier positioning in that breakdown.

Reactions: BarzyClub

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What I gathered from Trotz's comments, and if you listen closely, is he is starting to trust Wahlstrom more than Bellows. I think this is becoming very clear. How this bodes down the line, I don't know. But I am starting to see that Wahlstrom may be the young winger that Trotz is going to depend on going fwd, not unless Bellows finds another gear. Holmstrom looks like he has a year of AHL. Right now Wahlstrom is winning the young winger competition.
This is a scenario many of us envisioned last season, that Wahlstrom has the tools to stand out and step forward more than Kieffer Bellows does. Maybe we're seeing that play out now.

I can't understand why people here are getting their backs arched because Trotz criticized Bellows play last night. Bellows was put back into the lineup after sitting the last 4 games and he did not run with his opportunity. This is a results league, not a development league. Sometimes all you get is 1 chance to impress the staff. As @YearlyLottery said, what has Bellows shown so far to justify keeping him in the lineup? Yes I know he has a heavy, accurate shot...so did Michael Dal Colle in the AHL. Last night's comments were absolutely meant to rattle Bellows' cage a bit and deliver the message that he needs to bring it now, or you'll be sitting upstairs...or back in Bridgeport.

And ffs, do you guys really think the coach is going to blast an 8 year NHL vet like Leo Komarov after he has a shitty game because it's fair to do so??? There is a hierarchy in pro sports. Vets that have proven themselves to get this far get treated differently than 1st or 2nd year players. Jerkoffs like John Tortorella blasts veterans in the media, that's why he's soooo popular wherever he's coached.

With a player like Leo, displeasure with his play was expressed by waiving him again last week.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This is a scenario many of us envisioned last season, that Wahlstrom has the tools to stand out and step forward more than Kieffer Bellows does. Maybe we're seeing that play out now.

I can't understand why people here are getting their backs arched because Trotz criticized Bellows play last night. Bellows was put back into the lineup after sitting the last 4 games and he did not run with his opportunity. This is a results league, not a development league. Sometimes all you get is 1 chance to impress the staff. As @YearlyLottery said, what has Bellows shown so far to justify keeping him in the lineup? Yes I know he has a heavy, accurate shot...so did Michael Dal Colle in the AHL. Last night's comments were absolutely meant to rattle Bellows' cage a bit and deliver the message that he needs to bring it now, or you'll be sitting upstairs...or back in Bridgeport.

And ffs, do you guys really think the coach is going to blast an 8 year NHL vet like Leo Komarov after he has a shitty game because it's fair to do so??? There is a hierarchy in pro sports. Vets that have proven themselves to get this far get treated differently than 1st or 2nd year players. Jerkoffs like John Tortorella blasts veterans in the media, that's why he's soooo popular wherever he's coached.

With a player like Leo, displeasure with his play was expressed by waiving him again last week.

I think when looking at what Trotz said about Bellows it's easy to read between the lines. This is about the mental game and Bellows is just not picking it up the way BT wants him to. It's so clear from the comment about the film room. Wahlstrom is making plays in the defensive zone according to what the staff is looking for and that's why he's getting more and more ice time. Also, Wahsltrom has been winning puck battles in the offensive zone and I can't remember Bellows even being in position to do so.

Komarov means nothing in this discussion, it's solely one thing . . . either Bellows plays the system the way BT wants or he's going to be sitting a long time. Mental clarity is not clicking in right now and the time is running out to do so.

Reactions: CupHolders

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Remember when Thompson benched Bellows and then he went on a tear down in the AHL scoring a whole bunch of goals and was moving his feet?. Someone mentioned it before, Trotz as the coach knows what motivates his players. Just the same thing if you manage people in your job. Some people need a cheerleader, some a drill sergeant, and others you have to stroke like a golden retriever. Let's see how he responds if he gets another chance, which I hope he does.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

I love it, but I hope it doesn’t mean that Beau is excluded from the PP completely. I think Beau would look good in the RW half wall on the PP- IMO it means that Bailey is the odd man out. I like JGP on the PP- he looks great in that bumper spot and of course the face offs!

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I love it, but I hope it doesn’t mean that Beau is excluded from the PP completely. I think Beau would look good in the RW half wall on the PP- IMO it means that Bailey is the odd man out. I like JGP on the PP- he looks great in that bumper spot and of course the face offs!

I heard this part too. I was not surprised when I saw this stat, because I have been keeping up on GA60 5v5.

But some may be surprised to learn Wahlstrom has the best GA60 on the team with significant mins. 0.65.

Now a couple of factors for this, he plays with one of the best 5v5 players in the NHL Pageau, 2, he is somewhat sheltered, as he should be as a NHL rookie. But if I am a NHL coach, and I see this stat. I love it.

He made a really mature play I commented on the other night that impressed me. It was no unnoticeable, I had to comment in the GDT. Protecting a lead, he had a chance to go on offence in the neutral zone, there was a chance he could turn over the puck, instead he dumped it in. This showed me, he was not selfish, he knew the situation, and he did the right thing for the TEAM. This example, just made me like him that much more!

Reactions: ekill08x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->