Post-Game Talk: #16| New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 18th | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-1

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We played a good 180 foot game. Unfortunately the last 20 feet in our defensive zone we were losing a man and that led to goals. Tighten it up defensively.

And I hope somebody is going to remember Mike Matheson’s number on Saturday.

Reactions: JKP

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Besides the Zucker goal I though bellows played ok. He certainly was playing a lot better earlier in the year when he got in the groove. Is Barry really bashing him like he was responsible for the loss? Weird when vets like Komorov have cost us games and add absolute nothing and get many chances. This sounds like Barry wants to said Bellows to the moon

Reactions: Lek

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Besides the Zucker goal I though bellows played ok. He certainly was playing a lot better earlier in the year when he got in the groove. Is Barry really bashing him like he was responsible for the loss? Weird when vets like Komorov have cost us games and add absolute nothing and get many chances. This sounds like Barry wants to said Bellows to the moon

was the goal on Bellows or Pelech?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

I don't think he's blaming him for the loss, but it doesn't seem like he's all that thrilled with his play.

And you know as well as I do that vets get longer leashes and more chances to improve their play before they're taken out of the line-up. And after several chances, Leo is currently riding the pine.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
was the goal on Bellows or Pelech?

Idk I thought overall the team played like shit. Really odd and out of character for a coach like Trotz to call out a young guy so harshly AND compare him to other guys. Usually that’s a no no

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Rarely hear Barry say that about a player. Must’ve really disliked Bellows’ game.
I’m disappointed in Barry
You want to publicly call a player out? Has he watched Nelson all year, Leddy? And what was Dobson doing on the goal against?
I’d like to see a different angle on the Bellows play, was it his man or Pelech’s?
And Mayfield is good for 2-3 head scratchers a game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Rarely hear Barry say that about a player. Must’ve really disliked Bellows’ game.
It was a message, I sort of liken it to Lombardi when he criticized a player, basically in a fatherly way, we better get a better performance or you won't be seeing the ice soon. Harsh but sometimes a player needs that push.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
We played a good 180 foot game. Unfortunately the last 20 feet in our defensive zone we were losing a man and that led to goals. Tighten it up defensively.

Do you play RJ Saturday? I know he is generally despised on the boards, but its not like he's sitting for a All-Star--- Barry didnt seem thrilled with Bellows tonight--- are MDC and/or Leo MUCH better options

Reactions: MJF

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Do you play RJ Saturday? I know he is generally despised on the boards, but its not like he's sitting for a All-Star--- Barry didnt seem thrilled with Bellows tonight--- are MDC and/or Leo MUCH better options
I actually think at this point MDC is a much better option and I honestly don't know why he sat for Bellows. Both Brock and Ebes were playing much better since MDC was put on that line

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I would include not cashing in opportunities in that missing 20 feet as well

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I’m disappointed in Barry
You want to publicly call a player out? Has he watched Nelson all year, Leddy? And what was Dobson doing on the goal against?
I’d like to see a different angle on the Bellows play, was it his man or Pelech’s?
And Mayfield is good for 2-3 head scratchers a game
Good coaches, HOF coaches, make decisions on what they will say publicly about a particular player based on 1) what he knows about the player's personality and makeup and 2) if he wants to keep that player around. If BT wants to keep Bellows around then he said what he said because he believes that he can take it and that it will light the right kind of fire in him rather than crush him.

Or, he doesn't want him around.

Last edited:

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Good coaches, HOF coaches, make decisions on what they will say publicly about a particular player based on 1) what he knows about the player's personality and makeup and 2) if he wants to keep that player around. If BT wants to keep Bellows around then he said what he said because he believes that he can take and that it will light the right kind of fire in him rather than crush him.

Or, he doesn't want him around.

ok, Trotz knows far more than I do, but when you start calling certain players out, and continually allow others to skate?
It seemed unwarranted, considering some of the crap effort other guys have had all year.
And what Dobson did was far more egregious

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I would love it if Johnston was in the lineup, but the only change I would expect is MDC in for Bellows and Varlamov back in net.

I’m confident that Lee or Martin will correct Matheson’s behavior on Saturday.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree about Dobber, but my only point is that hopefully BT knows Bellows personality and his experience tells him that this is the kind of tonic he needs. BT's been around a long time.
I trust Bellows will be a better player due to Trotz. It wasn't like he was awful, and stood out. But he had been out for awhile, when you are out that long and Wahlstrom and MDC did nothing to warrant being taken out. Then you better have a burr in your game. I didn't see that from Bellows. He's got to take the bull by the horns. I think this was the message by Trotz. Go through a wall for me, show me you don't want to sit again, that's what I want to see. Bellows should respond, not sure he will be in Saturday, but if he is, he's got to play like his career depends on it. Game 7 urgency.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY

I don't understand this. As a coach, Barry is one of the greats. But when it comes to young talent, he doesn't get it. He was playing fine before he got scratched, and then Komarov shits the bed and when asked about him he said "Leo was working hard, I have no complaints from him."

I don't understand. Kieffer isn't perfect. But he's young and has a ton more upside than some of the guys who has played over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad